Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bettystown plumber today

• 30-06-2014 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    New gas boiler installed about 2 weeks and the power has gone from the panel. Guessing some kind of fault in the wiring?
    Rang the orginal installer yesterday and he said he would phone back today. No answer from him now at all. Honestly not to happy with how the install went so wouldn't mind another plumber to take a look. Any recomendations from people about someone around bettystown / drogheda ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

caff wrote: »
    Hi,
    New gas boiler installed about 2 weeks and the power has gone from the panel. Guessing some kind of fault in the wiring?
    Rang the orginal installer yesterday and he said he would phone back today. No answer from him now at all. Honestly not to happy with how the install went so wouldn't mind another plumber to take a look. Any recomendations from people about someone around bettystown / drogheda ?

I think
    you can report the original plumber to RGI or gas board. This is no way to treat a customer. They might take him off their list of approved installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I think
    you can report the original plumber to RGI or gas board. This is no way to treat a customer. They might take him off their list of approved installed.

Unless what he did was dangerous and possibly life threatening you would be wasting your time.Rgi won't get involved in a dispute between customer and installer. What boiler is it OP ?
    If I'm understanding your post then it sounds like a interface board issue , if you can't get your plumber back I would contact the manufacturer as it is under warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Okay so new twist to this, he came out and a fuse has gone. He asked if the boiler was registered yet. I hadn't registered it so called the number on it, BAXI uk number. They have then provided a ROI number, rang the ROI number. They say it is the fitter who has to register it, rang the fitter again and he said ring the UK number. I am lost now????

Okay so new twist to this, he came out and a fuse has gone. He asked if the boiler was registered yet. I hadn't registered it so called the number on it, BAXI uk number. They have then provided a ROI number, rang the ROI number. They say it is the fitter who has to register it, rang the fitter again and he said ring the UK number. I am lost now????

I haven't a clue who should register but that is only for the warranty. A warranty is something that some manufacturers offer as an extra to what you are entitled to by law.

BBy law the boiler has to be fit for purpose. A boiler that fails after a few weeks is not fit for purpose so the manufacturer has to look after you even if you don't register.
    AAlso assuming that you got a vat receipt & the guy is rgi registered then your contract is with him. If he is not gas registered a lot of manufacturers say this voids the warranty & even your fit for purpose rights.

I haven't a clue who should register but that is only for the warranty. A warranty is something that some manufacturers offer as an extra to what you are entitled to by law.

BBy law the boiler has to be fit for purpose. A boiler that fails after a few weeks is not fit for purpose so the manufacturer has to look after you even if you don't register.
    AAlso assuming that you got a vat receipt & the guy is rgi registered then your contract is with him. If he is not gas registered a lot of manufacturers say this voids the warranty & even your fit for purpose rights.

Yup guy is listed on the rgi website and I have a receipt

• Advertisement

Happy days. ☺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Have you a gas cert also?? Not just a receipt of payment. It should be a CERT 2 that he issued to you

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Have you a gas cert also?? Not just a receipt of payment. It should be a CERT 2 that he issued to you

Nope never got anything like that off him. I'll ask him tonight when he is supposed to be over fitting the new fuse.

Nope never got anything like that off him. I'll ask him tonight when he is supposed to be over fitting the new fuse.

Absolutely 100% insist on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Absolutely insist on it. What that cert does is make it official and legitimises the receipt you got.

• Advertisement

Well he came by and swapped the fuses, but it now seems that the pcb is gone. So he is to contact the manufacturer to get them to send a service engineer out. He said he wouldn't issue a cert until it was working.
    So about 5 weeks ago I rang this guy to service a boiler, he suggested to replace it. Decided to agree with him and get it replaced. He replaces it, which takes 3 days over a week. then 2 weeks later it stops working and now all this. Its a nightmare.

Well he came by and swapped the fuses, but it now seems that the pcb is gone. So he is to contact the manufacturer to get them to send a service engineer out. He said he wouldn't issue a cert until it was working.
    So about 5 weeks ago I rang this guy to service a boiler, he suggested to replace it. Decided to agree with him and get it replaced. He replaces it, which takes 3 days over a week. then 2 weeks later it stops working and now all this. Its a nightmare.

It worked for 2 weeks. You were entitled to a cert then.

Not saying anything about the quality of his work but my god I'd find it very difficult to deal with the likes of this guy.

Unless it was a back boiler you had I can't see how there 3 days work in it. A day at the most.

It worked for 2 weeks. You were entitled to a cert then.

Not saying anything about the quality of his work but my god I'd find it very difficult to deal with the likes of this guy.

Unless it was a back boiler you had I can't see how there 3 days work in it. A day at the most.

Changing a gas boiler is 2 days work. More if the gas line has to be upgraded. How can you properly powerflush a system , then remove the old boiler, fit, pipe, wire and commission the new boiler in one day???

Changing a gas boiler is 2 days work. More if the gas line has to be upgraded. How can you properly powerflush a system , then remove the old boiler, fit, pipe, wire and commission the new boiler in one day???

OP actually said 3 days over a week. So it took him a week.

OP actually said 3 days over a week. So it took him a week.

Ye I know what he said. I was referring to you saying it would take a day at most. Then I listed out the things that needed to be done. How can that be done in a day?

Ye I know what he said. I was referring to you saying it would take a day at most. Then I listed out the things that needed to be done. How can that be done in a day?

Standing Davies at the trade counter in Harmonstown. I ask 3 separate rgi plumbers how long to change over a boiler without any major pipe altering. All 3 said 1 day. Even if it is a 12 hour day all 3 said they would stay till it was done. They laughed when I said it took this guy 3 days spread over a week. You would get a whole heating system inc the boiler in a good weeks work.

As I said I couldn't stick this guys work ethic. Start a job & finish the job before you start someone else's job. Also turn up for appointments even if an hour or so late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Get that cert now , or else report him to rgi straight away. Boiler working or not working makes no difference. Installation is finished , and as was said boiler was working at that time, therefore cert should be issued. 014997998 is the number for rgi.

Standing Davies at the trade counter in Harmonstown. I ask 3 separate rgi plumbers how long to change over a boiler without any major pipe altering. All 3 said 1 day. Even if it is a 12 hour day all 3 said they would stay till it was done. They laughed when I said it took this guy 3 days spread over a week. You would get a whole heating system inc the boiler in a good weeks work.

As I said I couldn't stick this guys work ethic. Start a job & finish the job before you start someone else's job. Also turn up for appointments even if an hour or so late.

If it was a 12 hour day for the install, then yes easy. A normal install is 2 working days. Ask those same plumbers do they powerflush the heating system before a boiler change over

If it was a 12 hour day for the install, then yes easy. A normal install is 2 working days. Ask those same plumbers do they powerflush the heating system before a boiler change over

What I said is he should have it done in 1 day. Doesn't matter how many hours he does or doesn't do.
    If you are not flushing the system you might get it done in 5 or 6 hours with no complications.
    My point was his work ethic. He spread this over a week. Client should always be put out as little as possible & this is where I say it should have been finished the first day. I wouldn't have someone like that working for my business nor would he get anywhere near working in my house.

What I said is he should have it done in 1 day. Doesn't matter how many hours he does or doesn't do.
    If you are not flushing the system you might get it done in 5 or 6 hours with no complications.
    My point was his work ethic. He spread this over a week. Client should always be put out as little as possible & this is where I say it should have been finished the first day. I wouldn't have someone like that working for my business nor would he get anywhere near working in my house.

I agree. The installer is obviously a cowboy. Not everyone will work a 12 hour day either and they shouldn't have to. As for flushing, I would seriously doubt any installer who dosent flush before a boiler install

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

It sounds like he overstretched himself. Doing a bit there and going off to do other work.

Or maybe he is self employed and got some family emergency, I know my family would come first but I'm sure he would of mentioned this to the OP.

What ever the excuse the cert should have been issued after completion not 2 weeks later.

I would say there was a 13amp fuse in the spur and was never changed to a 3amp and there was a spike.

OP let is know how this turns out please.
    Ps. Did the installer flush your system by any chance?

OP let is know how this turns out please.
    Ps. Did the installer flush your system by any chance?

Wouldn't be able to say for sure or not, didn't stick around on the first day of the install to watch. He was going at it for 6 hours though. Second day was to fit a bit of wood to the wall to support the boiler and third was because he didn't have a long enough pipe for the vent.

Guy from baxi is due to take a look at it this afternoon.

Dtp1979 after reading above it looks like he got it done in less than 8 hours. I don't think you need anyone to answer your question about flushing out the system.
    As you said "a cowboy". Gives us all a bad rep.

Advertisement