Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming & Running in London & Paris

Options
  • 30-06-2014 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

I'm spending a few days in both of these cities next week. I won't have a bike with me, but would like to get in some running and swimming while I'm away. I've absolutely no idea of the geographies of these cities. Anybody know anywhere convenient to run/swim in either place? I'm going to be staying in Ilford in London and still nothing booked for Paris. Unless on my doorstep in Ilford, locations accessible by the Underground and Metro are all I could get to.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The 2012 Olympic 50 metre pool in Stratford is open to the public since March, and is 9 minutes on national rail from Ilford.

Link

I run and swim in Hampstead Heath a lot - but that's probably a bit further from Ilford than you would like. National rail to Stratford and then a London Overground train to Gospel Oak. 60m x 28m outdoor lido, 3 outdoor swimming ponds (water is about 20c at the moment so perfectly comfortable in togs) and loads of space to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

When running in new cities / places, I usually do quick check before hand on google maps where hotel is located. I try and plan less busy routes from there.
    I also carry my Nokia 925 with me in case I get lost. Its handy as I you can upload maps and it gives you exact location via GPS and not via phone data

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Thanks for replies, unfortunately Abhainn I'm still living in 1999 and have yet to upgrade to one of these clever phones.

RK, you seem to know London, can you tell me anything about Hyde Park? Would it be a safe place to run at any time of the day? Also do you know anything about swimming in The Serpentine?

It would be cool to swim in a pool used for The Olympics, so all going well will go there.

You're in luck regarding the Serpentine - the Serpentine Lido is open for the summer since early June with a 30m x 100m area marked for use. The Serpentine Swimming Club have their own hours every morning (from 6:30am if I remember correctly) and if you're visiting one of their members should be able to sign you in as a guest.

I'd consider Hyde Park a safe place to run at pretty much any time of day tbh.

(funnily enough, I'm racing an aquathlon this evening which has a Serpentine swim and Hyde Park run...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I don't know London well so not sure how far you'll be from here. I swam there whilst in London before and it's a great facility. Cheap as chips too.

For my runs I just ran along the riverbank and did a bit of exploring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Thanks RK, I went for a run in Hyde Park last night. Very crowded, but still a nice place to run. It was too late for a swim in The Serpentine, I hope to get in for a dip today.

Completely unrelated to training, do you know any Irish bars to watch Tipp v Galway hurling match on Saturday?

Sheephaven Bay in Camden Town is the usual one we'd go to if we want to go out to watch a match. It will most likely be on one of the side screens.

Advertisement