Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there Bad Fuel in Waterford?

Options
  • 30-06-2014 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

It would be very hard to name names(who not to go to) of course but where is the best place to get fuel in Waterford? I'm not talking about cost wise but that the fuel is good for ones car.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I personally would not buy in Tramore!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Interesting video about bio fuels and car engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

A certain garage was recently raided for laundered diesel. I have no link to a source so I won't be naming the garage. If anyone does have a link by all means add it.

It's my understanding that the chemicals used to wash the dye out of the marked diesel are very bad for diesel engines so needless to say I wouldn't be buying from that garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Pretty much all fuel in Ireland comes from the same place the problem can come when station owners start putting their own stuff into it which they are allowed to a certain extent. I know of one station that clocks up fuel before any is even dispensed and another who's forecourt tanks are prone to water getting in the fuel whilst under ground. The GFs car had water in the diesel because if fueling in that paticular station.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Surely Tesco should be good if theres no one benefiting from messing with the fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Surely Tesco should be good if theres no one benefiting from messing with the fuel.

For our diesel car we exclusively use Tesco, usually Tramore. I wouldn't use a "cheap" station for diesel for obvious reasons.

For our petrol car we use pretty much anywhere that's the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I find Maxol / Topaz to be the most reliable for diesel anywhere in the country. I prefer Maxol as the car runs noticeably better (more efficient / no black smoke) but would have no issues using Topaz if I was stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

For our diesel car we exclusively use Tesco, usually Tramore. I wouldn't use a "cheap" station for diesel for obvious reasons.

For our petrol car we use pretty much anywhere that's the cheapest.

Not so sure about this. I've 2 diesels that haven't enjoy their latest fuel ups in Tesco the only garage I've been using for ages but just recently I've had power problems with both vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Im sure tesco only sell a diesel/ 7% bio diesel mix rather than just pure diesel and is not suited to all diesel engines.

Their pumps state it that it conforms to some BS standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Jambo wrote: »
    Im sure tesco only sell a diesel/ 7% bio diesel mix rather than just pure diesel and is not suited to all diesel engines.

BS EN590. The European standard for diesel fuel I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

BS EN590. The European standard for diesel fuel I think.

Thats the one,

"EN590 describes the physical properties that all automotive diesel fuel must meet if it is to be sold in the European Union, Croatia, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland.

Based on 98/70/EG it allows the blending of up to 7% fatty acid methyl ester biodiesel with 'conventional' diesel - a 7:93 mix."

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

Thats the one,

"EN590 describes the physical properties that all automotive diesel fuel must meet if it is to be sold in the European Union, Croatia, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland.

Based on 98/70/EG it allows the blending of up to 7% fatty acid methyl ester biodiesel with 'conventional' diesel - a 7:93 mix."

so that must explain why the diesel i got from 24hr tesco was a yellow green colour last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

There lies the problem bio diesel or ethanol is hygroscopic (it attracts and holds water) and it has taken a few years for the major oil companies to realise this.
    Most of the claims on car engines I recent years have been because of water in the fuel not laundered fuel, this problem has all but been eliminated by the big companies but only in the very recent past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TheSouthEast

I see a lot of posts are about diesel so sorry if this isn't relevant, but I find getting petrol from Tesco doesn't last as long as getting it from the likes of Texaco. Maybe it's my mind playing tricks, but I seem to get more mileage from whenever I get petrol not from Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Not so sure about this. I've 2 diesels that haven't enjoy their latest fuel ups in Tesco the only garage I've been using for ages but just recently I've had power problems with both vehicles

Im sorry but i think you have a bit of a bee in your bonnet my friend, just cos i didnt agree with you on your TESCO PETROL thread and said you were talking shyte!

Weren't these your words to me last year? I posted on someone's thread about what additives Tesco were putting in their diesel and the adverse effects it was having on some engines. I was shown the breakdown of the diesel additives and was made aware of the potentially harmful levels of some ingredients but it looks like I was in your words, 'talking shyte'.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

I’ve often wondered about this. I'm very suspicious of the cheap fuel places. I heard the guards recently raided a fuel laundering facility in county Waterford. I heard the guy who was renting the factory owns a petrol station in South Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

I see a lot of posts are about diesel so sorry if this isn't relevant, but I find getting petrol from Tesco doesn't last as long as getting it from the likes of Texaco. Maybe it's my mind playing tricks, but I seem to get more mileage from whenever I get petrol not from Tesco.

Same here. i get great mileage from Texaco, on the Cork road. I thought it was just, in my head, too, but maybe not.

I use Maxol, too, although they are a little bit more expensive.

The one thing I do find is, prices don't really matter. There's less than a euro difference on €50 of petrol between the most expensive place and the cheapest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I thought Tesco got there fuel from Topaz?

I use Topaz myself and find it very good as in i get more miles and plus ive the aa fuel card so its 2cent off per litre its not much but is something and they have a reward card thing were each month you get either a free car wash,coffee and sandwich etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

To cut a long story short, there was a thread over a year ago that was deleted because of posts like mine proclaiming what additives go in what fuel and where the source fuel comes from, who imports it, what ports it enters through etc, etc.

All fuel is 'stretched' away from its optimum performance, thats how it works, that's how they maintain their profit margins. Some use this, some use that, and some engines don't like this but like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

There's always a lot of mis-information about fuel.

Here's a few facts.

All fuel is mostly the same wherever you get it except msome brands (not garages) add additives and claim better performance (maybe a tiny tiny bit better, but not worth searching out for). In Ireland it either is refined in Whitgate, Co. Cork or Pembroke in Wales. Brand names buy in bulk from the refineries and it is deposited in their huge drums at various ports.

"Dirty fuel" - Its is NEVER the last station you got the fuel in that causes the issue. Dirt builds up in fuel tanks over time. After a refil, it is sloshing around and if there's enough dirt, it gets caught in the combustion.

Ideally avoid old fuel stations - their own tanks could have dirt build up. Also avoid buying fuel just after a delivery has been made.

But most importantly, try running your tank down to near empty as often as possible - this means the small amount of particles that occur naturally will wash through and won't build up.

If you have oil fired central heating you will see the oil tank outlet is about 2 inches off the base and if installed correctly, there will be a slight slant on the tanke away from the outlet so that the dirt flows the opposite way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

buy texaco. Consistently the best quality fuel available in this country.

Advertisement