Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omega Speedmaster (and Hello)

Options
  • 30-06-2014 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Hello all

LONG time lurker surfacing, I really enjoy this forum, some great knowledge and info on here...
    I am a big watch guy, ironically I didnt wear a watch until I was 30 years old, but then I got the sickness badly :-)
    I'm a bit older now and I have managed to slowly put together a pretty decent collection of the watches that I have liked/fallen in love with... pride of place probably a Rolex Green bezel 50th anniv Sub. Ive even bought a few Russian units courtesy of the recommendations from Peasant and others on here!
    I am not a big poster generally as you can see, so I dont think I can put up a pic of my watches until the post count gets a bit better.
    Anyways.... apologies for long post... heres the question; I am keen to buy an Omega Speedmaster moonwatch 35.70.0000, manual wind, normal caseback, on steel. I am getting close to pushing the button on Chrono24 but in the off chance that anyone on boards might be thinking of flipping one, I would obviously prefer to do a local deal.

thanks a lot, sorry for long first post
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

welcome to the team :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jkb_dub

Any interest in a vintage one ?

I've a 1968 cal 861 which I bought about 2 years ago and I'm toying with flipping...

It's original dial and hands but in a replacement case so best of both worlds in some respects. Now on a stainless steel bracelet but I've attached an old photo on leather to give you an idea.

PM if any interest.

jkb_dub

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Thanks for the reply jkb_dub, that looks like a really nice watch. I am thinking of a slightly newer one tbh, and nerdy as it is, I kind of want the post 69 caseback too, you know the one with the hippocampus and the 'flight qualified for nasa' blurb.
    Ive been keeping an eye on Chrono24 and there seems to be a good few fairly recent ones with box and papers, so Ill probably be aiming to get something along those lines. Fussy bugger, I know!
    Thanks though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Turning down a Pre Moon.....Brave Man

Although I would agree with ya, If I was going for one I would look for the 3570 aswell

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Ah no, I know its a cool one. I just have a specific later model in mind, I've been himming and hawing about a Speedmaster for ages. I kind of like the clarity of the white hands/marks/black face too, and its really defined on the more recent ones. Patina is all very well but me eyesight needs all the help it can get these days :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Looking at a speedmaster also, though leaning more towards the 3573.50 so I can see the movement
    35735000-40.jpg

yup.. I love sapphire case backs/being able to see the engine normally, but for this search I would opt for the steel caseback ideally
    Although if you know of a clear rear like the one pictured at a decent price I could be convinced :-)

I guess most people tend to hang on to their speedmasters, I reckon its a bit of a keeper type watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

When buying from chrono24, do you always try to ensure the watch is coming from europe? As in I'm assuming you get stung for taxes if its coming from the states..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

TedR wrote: »
    yup.. I love sapphire case backs/being able to see the engine normally, but for this search I would opt for the steel caseback ideally
    Although if you know of a clear rear like the one pictured at a decent price I could be convinced :-)

I guess most people tend to hang on to their speedmasters, I reckon its a bit of a keeper type watch

I own a 3570 from new and I like the idea of it's future patina being my patina. :cool:

Hi Colman 1212

In the advanced search tab on Chrono24 you can narrow down the search to Europe only, and filter out the USA/Far Eastern ones.
    I have actually bought one or two non EU watches before, some cheap n cheerful, and one or two half decent ones, but never had to pay duty etc. Overall though, to keep things clean I keep it to EU, assuming I cant find what I might want at home.

• Advertisement

TedR wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply jkb_dub, that looks like a really nice watch. I am thinking of a slightly newer one tbh, and nerdy as it is, I kind of want the post 69 caseback too, you know the one with the hippocampus and the 'flight qualified for nasa' blurb.
    Ive been keeping an eye on Chrono24 and there seems to be a good few fairly recent ones with box and papers, so Ill probably be aiming to get something along those lines. Fussy bugger, I know!
    Thanks though

Fussy is good ! I originally went looking for a more modern one but got bitten by the pre moon :P

Whichever way you go it's a cracking watch.. best of luck with your search.

Thanks, the hunt for the right piece/right price is a big part of the fun, good luck with sale if you decide to move your own watch on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I went with a speedmaster pro also - but couldn't get over the no-date situation so went with the 3576.50.00 (speedy pro sapphire sandwich with moonphase and date). It's my beater and I love wearing it - the bracelet is so very comfortable against the wrist.

what do you guys think of this one? I've been looking for one like this recently but apparently it's from 1995. Think it would still be in good nick? Price seems good?
    http://www.chrono24.com/au/breitling/navitimer-patrouille-suisse--id2704578.htm?query=suisse&suchen=Search&dosearch=true&searchexplain=1&resultview=list&dosearch=true&urlSubpath=/search/index.htm

I wouldnt claim to be an authority on Breitling... Ill leave it to lads who know more then me ;-)

For what its worth I would do as much of a search as I could across the web on the going prices for similar watches to get a feel for what is about right pricewise. Its part of the buzz I think, although maybe thats just me

I find Breitlings a bit busy but thats a nice one alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

There is a bloke selling a Sinn 903 ST on TZ-UK forum for 1350 pounds

Very like the Navitimer

2qi3dk7_zps72f3c094.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

There is a bloke selling a Sinn 903 ST on TZ-UK forum for 1350 pounds

Very like the Navitimer

2qi3dk7_zps72f3c094.jpg

Cheers man, something I love about the Breitling brand though. I've been looking at them for a while an want to get a navitimer or a breitling for bentley GT. The navitimers with the blue and white face are generally quite hard to track down.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

jkb_dub wrote: »
    Any interest in a vintage one ?

I've a 1968 cal 861 which I bought about 2 years ago and I'm toying with flipping...

It's original dial and hands but in a replacement case so best of both worlds in some respects. Now on a stainless steel bracelet but I've attached an old photo on leather to give you an idea.

PM if any interest.

jkb_dub

lovely watch, i would have an interest if you'd like a pm, what do these go for?

lovely watch, i would have an interest if you'd like a pm, what do these go for?

Thanks, there's a 1970 on TZ now for £1600, from memory I paid £1350 incl postage. So I'd be looking to cover close to what I paid.

Drop a PM if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

cheers jkb, would love to but the eye is on something else as well. know i'll regret this.

• Advertisement

Thanks to the Watches and Timepieces forum, just did a quick clean and painless deal for a Speedmaster courtesy of Mr Fulladapipes of this parish... gentleman to deal with and couldnt have been any easier. It was everything that adverts.ie should be and isnt :-)
    Proud owner now of a 37.73.50 Sapphire Sangwidge :-))))
    I was aiming for the hesalite steelback but what the hell..
    Unfortunately cant post a pic due to my beginner status post count, when I reach 50 I'll celebrate with some picture posts.
    Thank you to everyone who came back to me on my first entry into the forum..

Advertisement