Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT Java help

Options
  • 30-06-2014 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

Hi all

In absolute desperation that someone here will be able to point me in the right direction urgently, I am looking for a very old version of Java: version 1.5.0.05.

The Oracle website has a link to this old version but when it's downloaded it's actually version 1.5.0.50, so that is no good (and it's impossible to get through to anyone there to get the right one).

Can anyone urgently point me to a place where I can download the version I need? I have Googled etc., but the sites coming up are really quite IT-oriented and I don't know what I am looking at.

At the risk of sounding ungrateful in advance, please don't ask what it's for or provide any other suggestion because this is now so urgent that I could lose a big contract if I don't get it today. Just a link to an actual download of this version is what I need, like yesterday.

Beers all round to whoever saves the day!!!
    Thanks!!!!!

SRG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Thank you very much solomafioso, but that is actually, 1.5.0.50. There are numerous links to that version, but I can't get one to the 1.5.0.05...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

sheesh wrote: »

Would you believe sheesh that this is also 1.5.0.50!! That has been the main problem - the main Oracle site link is to the wrong version... I have been searching for days... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Would you believe sheesh that this is also 1.5.0.50!! That has been the main problem - the main Oracle site link is to the wrong version... I have been searching for days... :(

Would you mind me asking why you need precisely that version? I would have thought that once the platform was the same (ie. 1.5) that the minor version wouldn't make a difference?

• Advertisement

It's for access to the EMA Gateway:

http://esubmission.ema.europa.eu/esubmission.html

It's the only version that will work (can you believe this!!!!) and the link that they provide is that one to the Oracle site that downloads the wrong version. I have been onto their helpdesk for three days and they are saying that they have no control over external links!! (Fair enough but good god at least use a bloody version that I can find...) It's an absolute nightmare...

I'm actually now trying to connect to an Oracle expert, paying for it, no problem, but I just really need to get this version...

It's for access to the EMA Gateway:

http://esubmission.ema.europa.eu/esubmission.html

It's the only version that will work (can you believe this!!!!) and the link that they provide is that one to the Oracle site that downloads the wrong version. I have been onto their helpdesk for three days and they are saying that they have no control over external links!! (Fair enough but good god at least use a bloody version that I can find...) It's an absolute nightmare...

I'm actually now trying to connect to an Oracle expert, paying for it, no problem, but I just really need to get this version...
    I can't find any mention of java on that page, but have you tried just using the .50 version? Any chance it's a typo on the EMA page?

don't take this the wrong way.. but are you sure

the naming convention could have changed in the move from sun to oracle that 1.5.0.50 might well be 1.5.0.05

I assume you:
    downloaded it and tested it with what ever application you are trying to run.
    Asked oracle if it is definitely not .05.

sheesh wrote: »
    don't take this the wrong way.. but are you sure

the naming convention could have changed in the move from sun to oracle that 1.5.0.50 might well be 1.5.0.05

I assume you:
    downloaded it and tested it with what ever application you are trying to run.
    Asked oracle if it is definitely not .05.

Thank you, no, not at all taking you up worng, I appreciate you giving your time to answering... I have downloaded it, spoken with the EMA helpdesk, sent them screen shots of everything I have done, and the version showing in the control panel when I download is 1.5.0.50. EMA tell me that is the wrong one, which I know, because I cannot get the EMA gateway functionality to work because it's the wrong one!!

I really am tearing my hair out here.

BTW, I have had two IT people (as opposed to me, the IT idiot) working on this so it's not just me :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Did you try filehippo?

http://filehippo.com/download_jre_32/history/7/

This may be the version you've already tried.

A java application should never be dependent on a precise version of a JRE being installed. Sounds like a really badly built app. It's also bad form that they aren't giving you more help on this. If their site links to software that their site is dependent on, those links should always point to the correct location and to a functioning version of the software. Just to be clear, what do you mean when you say the gateway functionality won't work? is there an error message?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Here is the JRE version I think you are looking for:

http://filehippo.com/download_jre_32/tech/380/

(filename: jre-1_5_0_05-windows-i586-p.exe)

Edit: sorry, didn't see the post by CrinkElite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

EMA tell me that is the wrong one, which I know, because I cannot get the EMA gateway functionality to work because it's the wrong one!!

Are there no other dependencies that might be preventing it from working?

Assuming they don't have the jre installer, perhaps they have it installed on a test machine?

Can you get them to zip up the jre folder and send on to you?

A jre doesn't need to be installed, you can manually extract and update environment variables.

Assuming they don't have the jre installer, perhaps they have it installed on a test machine?

A jre doesn't need to be installed, you can manually extract and update environment variables.

Thank you guys. According to my IT folk, it's just the Java version.

I will ask them to send me the zip of the correct JRE folder and see if they will do that, but I have my doubts...

I agree, it's pure madness that such an important function is built on an old version of Java, and one that is not even readily available. We have no choice but to submit using this Gateway - they will not accept submissions any other way - and I am in a stalemate... They tell me it's my problem since I don't have the correct Java installed. I am telling them I would install it if it were available!

The most worrying aspect is the lack of support on this issue...

Darwin wrote: »
    Here is the JRE version I think you are looking for:

http://filehippo.com/download_jre_32/tech/380/

(filename: jre-1_5_0_05-windows-i586-p.exe)

Edit: sorry, didn't see the post by CrinkElite

Thanks Darwin - that's the 1.5.0.50 version also... madness, isn't it....

A java application should never be dependent on a precise version of a JRE being installed. Sounds like a really badly built app. It's also bad form that they aren't giving you more help on this. If their site links to software that their site is dependent on, those links should always point to the correct location and to a functioning version of the software. Just to be clear, what do you mean when you say the gateway functionality won't work? is there an error message?

Thank you !! Yes, I agree 100%!!!! This is the bloody European Medicines Agency!! It's not some mickey mouse outfit, it's a major EU body! I am at my wits' end....

The functionality won't work in that the zip folder will upload to the site but then just sits there, doesn't get delivered, and they say that they can't see it. Getting the zip file to upload was a saga in itself, and it won't let me upload anything else. I'm afraid to remove it in case it magically moves through the system! :D

Thank you, no, not at all taking you up worng, I appreciate you giving your time to answering... I have downloaded it, spoken with the EMA helpdesk, sent them screen shots of everything I have done, and the version showing in the control panel when I download is 1.5.0.50. EMA tell me that is the wrong one, which I know, because I cannot get the EMA gateway functionality to work because it's the wrong one!!

I really am tearing my hair out here.

fair enough sorry for that.

I was hoping it was something simple. why is never simple?!

I don't know... :(:(

Still here trying to get it uploaded...

CrinkElite wrote: »
    Did you try filehippo?

http://filehippo.com/download_jre_32/history/7/

This may be the version you've already tried.

Yes, tried that.. it's still the 1.5.0.50 version...
    :(

• Advertisement

I am asking them to send it on Arthur!! Great idea! Let's see if they will do that...

Advertisement