Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass cutting

Options
  • 30-06-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭

Been debating getting a ride on mower, and I'm wondering if it would be worth my while in the long run or would it be as economical to pay someone to cut it.

What kind of costs do people pay to get their grass cut? It's a big area, nearly half an acre I'd say. All fairly flat and no great hassle of trees or bits to go around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Located between Burt and Bridgend by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,625 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Phil

I would say in the long run it would probably be best to buy your own.

I know they can be expensive, and its handy to let someone else worry about servicing costs, belts snapping, fuel etc, but I got a half acre site cut last summer and the guy was paid €50. I think some charge more too.

Thats 20 cuts for €1000. That would make a big dent in buying one yourself, maybe even look out for one 2nd hand in good nick?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Aye at €50 a shot you're probably right.

Over 4-5 years a good ride on will likely have paid for itself and I'm planning on cutting this grass for a good 40 more years lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have to agree with NIMAN in that it would be worth investing in your own mower. I think you would be very lucky to get it cut for €50. Up my way they charge around €20 for a small front and rear garden and you would have to add 5 or 6 of those together to make up a 1/4 acre.

Realistically I think most people would be charged 70 or 80 euro for anything coming close to half an acre. The price all boils down who you get and competition in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

just got rid of a ride on mower a few weeks ago because of the amount of fuel they use

1/2 an acre used about 6 euro of fuel twice a week

friend has a diesel ride on and finds it very easy to run

• Advertisement
Advertisement