Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Area rule for extensions w/o planning permission

Options
  • 30-06-2014 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I understand that you can extend a house without planning permission provided it "does not increase the original floor area of the house by more than 40 square metres and is not higher than the house".

Does that 40 sq m refer to the footprint of the extension (e.g. ground floor only), or the sum of internal area of all floors (e.g. ground floor and upstairs)? I'm assuming the latter but just checking.

cheers
    darragh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I believe its the internal floor area

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Sand Wedge

Only allowed max 12sqm upstairs from the 40sqm, so 28sqm downstairs and 12sqm upstairs. Also has to be 2 metres from any boundary. See below link.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/aboutus/councildepartments/planning/faqs/#Can I build an extension to my home without having to seek planning permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It actually work out easier in many cases to get drawings done and apply for planning permission. If this is not done it has to be proven when the house was sold thatn it awas exempt and meets all standards. It is easier to do it properly from the start.

Advertisement