Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volkswagen Dealer Cork City

Options
  • 30-06-2014 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Just thought I'd share my experience with a main Volkswagen dealer in Cork City over the weekend as I'm still simmering!

We found a nice used car for €11,995 on Carzone and decided to drop out for a test drive on Saturday. When we got there we asked to see the '08 Passat and were asked which one. We answered , naively in hindsight, "The one on Carzone for €11,995".

Drove the car and loved it, we have a baby on the way so needed a bigger car and this ticked all the boxes. Got down to business and asked the value of ours on trade in. It was a bit low so we decided to think over the weekend. Literally on the way home we checked carzone to see what else was out there and noticed the car we just viewed had dropped to €9,995!

We were so angry as the salesman had not told us the price drop and there was no price on the car during the test drive. He was really keen to get the trade done also.

After thinking on it we decided that paying five extra instead of seven would be fine as it seems good value and was local. We were offered 6k trade in from other dealers in Cork but didn't find the car we wanted.

Rang today to say we would go ahead with the deal at 5k and told him we would be out this afternoon, "no problem" he said "just need a deposit". When we got there he started on about the 12k being a trade in price and the 10k would be cash only blah blah even though on the phone he never mentioned it and neither did the ad. In the end he dropped our trade in value to 4k and tried to give it the hard sell saying we were still getting great value!

Needless to say we didn't go ahead in the end. After lying to us on Saturday, getting caught out and now wasting our time by getting us out there for what could have been said over the phone this guy is the reason used car dealers get an awful name.

Rang their manager after leaving but still haven't heard back. Not expecting much joy from it tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Sounds fairly typical of alot of dealerships to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

At least you walked away, fair play. Keep looking and you'll eventually get what you want at the right price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

brenda09 wrote: »
    Rang their manager after leaving but still haven't heard back. Not expecting much joy from it tbh.

You want them to let you know they gave him employee of the month?

OP seriously, stereotypes are there for a reason. Some are unfair, the used car salesman one is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Had a poor experience at my last service in a VW main dealer in Cork too.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHPhoto

Typical sales man, but definitely bad form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

You should contact VW directly and while they can't force them to sell to you it will put a black mark against them on their VW appraisal which does have repercussions for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 brenda09

Thanks for the replies.

Since posting I received a call from the manager who told me the sales rep would be in touch.
    Never heard from him in the end or anyone else.

As per your advice oscillator, I sent on an email to VW Ireland today just to note it. In the end we bought a 2011 Passat Estate from a non VW dealer and we were looking at a new golf due to the good finance deals but I don't see the point if you can't trust the dealer.

Advertisement