Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlone

Options
  • 30-06-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Am in for this one - anybody get familiarity with the bike course as they have changed it this year? Also is transition on the same road as last year??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

I'm in too...first time.

Website has a lot of "just like last year" when describing the course.. not very helpful.

How is swimming against the current? Is it half and half?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

shansey wrote: »

How is swimming against the current? Is it half and half?

Im told that its half and half but my first tri also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Swim was lovely, about 250 upstream and the remaining 500m gliding downstream. Not as fast as Athy (current was fairly slow) but a pleasant swim nonetheless. Bike course was rough! Headwind all the way out and a few tricky sections where the surface was pants. Caught a tractor and numerous cars on the "closed" roads and got beeped at to get out of the way - go figure. Run course was simple but pleasant, out and back with a timing split at the turn (great idea btw).

Weather fab, and post-race banter was good craic. All in all a pretty good day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Swim was lovely, about 250 upstream and the remaining 500m gliding downstream. Not as fast as Athy (current was fairly slow) but a pleasant swim nonetheless. Bike course was rough! Headwind all the way out and a few tricky sections where the surface was pants. Caught a tractor and numerous cars on the "closed" roads and got beeped at to get out of the way - go figure. Run course was simple but pleasant, out and back with a timing split at the turn (great idea btw).

Weather fab, and post-race banter was good craic. All in all a pretty good day out.

Pro's ... Loved the new run course and the swim course.
    Cons: bike mount/dismount too far away. Plenty of room to have it just when u went over timing mat not 300 m away from there. No one checking the bag drop areas both at swim start and karma. No one checking bikes exiting transition after race. Transition not kept clear while race still going on. Finish line area far too congested with athletes queing for food at finish
    Still all simple things to fix. Will be back next year.

Agree on the mount/dismount line - first mens bike back in was DQ'd as he arrived at the timing mat on his bike. Lad was shell-shocked, checked up the road and there were 3 marshalls doing their job well so I dunno. I would have assumed he would clock the dismount line was the same as the mount line but what do you know.

Finish line was packed, if the grub had been 20m further back there would be no issue. Swim course was excellent, the nicest event swim I've had all year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Agree on the mount/dismount line

Yea I was lucky to see it to be honest.. I was waiting on it for about 2k not being familiar with the area and all..

Transition was really long.. Managed to run over a stone and got a massive bruise on my foot..

Bar that I thoroughly enjoyed it all.. Could have done with more food after.. Chicken curry anyone??

Anyone else think the swim was freaky when you looked underwater??

shansey wrote: »
    Anyone else think the swim was freaky when you looked underwater??

Especially the rusty shopping trolley right at the swim exit :pac:

Advertisement