Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Gets!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Yeah I get those for the Amiibos too, it's mostly filled with those bubble wrap bags. Such a waste but I did reuse most of them tbf.

I reuse them all as well.

It's packed so poorly though. Massive box full of bubble wrap but the place your game up agaisnt the side of the box leaving 3 sides of the game box basically unprotected.
    Bubble wrap should be on bottom of he box and all around the sides with the game box placed in the middle and another layer of bubble wrap on top. Doesn't use any extra packaging but the game box is safe then.

I honestly thought they had fupped up and sent a switch with the game. Sadly, they didn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A cynic might say.... ahem...
    That you'll have more fun with the cardboard box and bubble wrap than with the Amiibo....
    and that the cardboard box and bubble wrap have more utility than the Amiibo as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I dunno, I think the Amiibo functionality in BotW is actually pretty good, and some of the 30th anniversary ones in particular can give exclusive costumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Does the Wolf Amiibo unlock the Wolf without being used with TP:HD? Or do you have to complete TP:HD, then scan the Amiibo in-game, as someone told me?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Does the Wolf Amiibo unlock the Wolf without being used with TP:HD? Or do you have to complete TP:HD, then scan the Amiibo in-game, as someone told me?
    I used it yesterday without having played TP.

Are the BotW amiibo still not readily available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I think you may be able to use it without having used it in TP:HD, but it'll have the minimum number of hearts in that case.
    (Don't hold me to that though!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Star Lord wrote: »
    I dunno, I think the Amiibo functionality in BotW is actually pretty good, and some of the 30th anniversary ones in particular can give exclusive costumes.

Shock HORROR!!!
    Locked content away behind an AMIIBO SHAPED PAYDOOR!!!!
    NiNtEnDo @re FINISHED!i!i!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

That's pretty cool. Easy to put on? Where did you order from?
    Sorry I missed this post, I got them from Decal Girl, usually have a few sales often. I got some for my PS3 too.
    Easy and I took them on and off and few times to fix them but did end up with one tiny lump, flatted it out and got a kinda crease. It's not noticeable really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

On MH GEN...
    OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Is it crap? I've never played any monster hunter and was going to take the plunge in that one.
    Star Lord wrote: »
    It's good, but MH4U is much better.
    Banjo wrote: »
    Yeah - Monster Hunter is an acquired tasted, but one well worth acquiring - a bit like how stomaching blue cheese and dog milk now will pay off when we're reduced to eating out of bins and killing eachother for the last potato grown on the only bit of lucan that hasn't flooded yet. MH4 has the right blend of available weaponry, quest pacing and narrative to pull you along where MH:G basically pisses in your face at every turn and demands you put it down. It's still great but it's very unfriendly.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was gonna pick up MH4 on Saturday for £15, decided against it

To anyone looking to get into the ridiculously confusing, and badly explained quagmire of mechanics that is Monster Hunter (which I love, and is an amazing game series), I'd break the recent games down as follows:

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U/3DS): The last entry of the third generation of Monster Hunter. 3rd Generation was a "reboot" where they dropped a lot of old stuff wholesale in favour of brand new content. I love this but a lot of MH fans take issue with the reduced total content compared to Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (last entry of the second generation). I will always prefer less content that is good, over lots of content that is crappy.

This is my personal favourite entry but the hardest to recommend of the recent games. It also has swimming, which is a divisive mechanic among the community. The Wii U version has HD textures and online play, the 3DS version has portability and local play. This is arguably the "easiest" monster hunter to solo start to finish on your own, if you like that kind of satisfaction (I do), but you're missing out on a lot of the quality of life improvements that come in later iterations.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS): The last entry of the fourth generation. Does some stuff really excellently: More quality of life improvements, a great story (by MH standards), a great supporting cast, two cool new weapons, cool rebalances to all the old weapons and great new monsters. It also drops swimming in favour of climbing and jumping mechanics, which was generally well received.

It does some bad stuff too, like randomly generated end-game content, frustrating gating of armour upgrades (keeping your defenses lower than should be, therefore making monsters hit you harder and artificially ramping up the difficulty); as well as bringing back a lot of the crappy first and second generations monsters (who were dropped in the wonderful 3rd generation "reboot").

Overall though I'd say this is the "Best" monster hunter game overall, and also the best place for new people to get into the series.

Monster Hunter Generations (3DS): This is a weird anniversary title that exists outside of the timeline which is meant to celebrate the previous 4 generations of the game.

This game does lots of crazy stuff I won't bother going into, but the primary theme of the game seems to be "Lots of content, no polish". So there is a lot to do in the game. Probably more to do than any other monster hunter game before, but MOST of it is bad. The good stuff is great, but in the minority. The optimum play path for the game (and I'm not being disparaging, this is literally true), is to look up a guide to see which quests are necessary for progression, and ignore ALL other quests. Otherwise you'll spend dozens, potentially hundreds of hours doing nothing but non-combat resource gathering/transporting quests.

I don't want to outright say it's a bad game. Hardcore Monster fans are having a wonderful time with it while acknowledging it's flaws, but I think it's a poor overall product, and a terrible place to START (no tutorial, no plot and tons of filler).

Also "Generations Ultimate" has been announced for Japan, and is expected to release in the west at some point, which will have all the Generations content and more. There really is no reason to get into MH with Generations at this point.

Absolutely go with 4U, and if you love it, wait for a western Generations Ultimate release date.

If you don't love it, come to me, and I'll talk at you until you realise you're wrong :pac:

Whoops, that was a lot of MH writing outside of a MH topic.....

...ON Topic, I got a Switch with BOTW, Snipperclips and Fast RMX, and having a good time so far. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,497 ✭✭✭Nollog

You get a 3 heart wolf.

If you play tp and do the cave thing you get the amount of hearts you saved at wolf. Max of 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Does the wolf reset at midnight, or reset at the next play session after midnight?
    Also - does the Wolf randomly attack anything around you or does he follow your lead with regard to stealth approaches, lying in wait, hunting?

WiiU copy of Zelda arrived today. I should keep it sealed for posterity but I want that new disk smell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Got the Twilight Princess Wii U bundle yokey at last, thanks the alert in the bargain...alert thread. Thanks again to the dudes who posted it was 20 quid in Smyths.

Quick question, is it left or right handed Link? Is it Wii or Gamecube map, like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Got the Twilight Princess Wii U bundle yokey at last, thanks the alert in the bargain...alert thread. Thanks again to the dudes who posted it was 20 quid in Smyths.

Quick question, is it left or right handed Link? Is it Wii or Gamecube map, like?

It's the GameCube version. The postman is still terrifying though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Pac1Man wrote: »
    It's the GameCube version. The postman is still terrifying though.

Excellent. I look forward to playing it when I'm finished BotW in 2020.

I picked one up meself, just for the Amiibo for BotW.
    Couple of problems:
    1. I don't want to stop playing BotW to play TP:HD long enough to get lots of hearts for the Wolf.
    2. I don't actually want to open the box to take the Amiibo out.

So I think I'll just leave it there and not use the Amiibo at all... :o

Technically not a Ninty get but I got an Anker 20100 powerbank for Switchin' on the go. Just testing it now to see how charging goes. I can confirm that it's detected as a power source, which is a good start. 2% increase in the last 3 1/2 minutes...

Edit - that rate held, roughly 1% every 2 mins. Not sure thats enough to power it as it discharges but might be enough to tread water on the go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Banjo wrote: »
    Technically not a Ninty get but I got an Anker 20100 powerbank for Switchin' on the go. Just testing it now to see how charging goes. I can confirm that it's detected as a power source, which is a good start. 2% increase in the last 3 1/2 minutes...

Edit - that rate held, roughly 1% every 2 mins. Not sure thats enough to power it as it discharges but might be enough to tread water on the go.

Were you playing a game while charging?

No, as per the post I haven't tested powering the Switch from the battery while the switch is discharging. That was in Sleep mode.
    The Anker is currently on charge, I'll hopefully squeeze about 20 mins of play in at lunch and I'll plug the Anker into it to see what happens to the charge. The Switch will be starting from a 20-40% charge based on where I left it last night, which I gather gives the battery a better chance of pushing more charge to it. (that's not some sort of intelligent test design on my part, I was just playing Switch off the dock for a good while last night :D)

I'll edit this post after 12 once the grand experiment is underway!

BTW, I maybe should have said, I ordered the 20100 powerbank from Amazon via An Post AddressPal in Hertfordshire. There was a MASSIVE sticker on the bottom indicating that there was an Li Ion battery inside, that sticker had an An Post sticker partially covering it so they must have seen it but they shipped it anyway.

Edit :
    As the wise sage and philospher, Macho Man Randy Savage, was won't to say : Oooooooh yeeeeeah!
    Ran from 12:46 - 1.21pm with the Anker 20100 Powerbank. Started at 43%, ended at 45%.
    That is not a massive gain, but I'm running Zelda during this time and I gained charge. That, my dears, is ****ing awesome considering how high the capacity of this bank is. Yes, the 20100+ with QC might be a better bet since it can take charge from 2 sources simultaneously, but frankly I wasn't going to pay more than double for the privilige. I got mine on special for about £21, it's usually around £28 on amazon.

I picked one up meself, just for the Amiibo for BotW.
    Couple of problems:
    1. I don't want to stop playing BotW to play TP:HD long enough to get lots of hearts for the Wolf.
    2. I don't actually want to open the box to take the Amiibo out.

So I think I'll just leave it there and not use the Amiibo at all... :o

So I found a solution to this...

I got drunk last night and spent about €40 on a loose wolf amiibo off eBay. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

So I found a solution to this...

I got drunk last night and spent about €40 on a loose wolf amiibo off eBay. :o

You could have bought two TPs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Pac1Man wrote: »
    You could have bought two TPs.

Lads on adverts are selling them for 40/50. Unwanted gifts, one poor lad has 2. Bottom feeders
    :rolleyes:

Incoming Ninty goodies!
    Specifically this beauty
    Hori arcade stick for the Super Famicom, otherwise known as the Japanese SNES.
    http://www.adverts.ie/12509417

702280Hori_Fighting_Stick_snes.jpg

Can't wait!

I've a ton of games to try with it.

When it comes to Ninty goodness there is no statute of limitations, it's been awesome since the Famicom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Not so much new but I found my old snes in the parents. Time to give the young man a go

On a side note I only have the connection for the aerial . Can you get composite cables for it?

CptMackey wrote: »
    Not so much new but I found my old snes in the parents. Time to give the young man a go

On a side note I only have the connection for the aerial . Can you get composite cables for it?

Could be a few crackers in that box of carts!
    You can get a cable on Adverts afaik, the same composite is also used on the GC.
    But better is an RGB scart, super picture there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Could be a few crackers in that box of carts!
    You can get a cable on Adverts afaik, the same composite is also used on the GC.
    But better is an RGB scart, super picture there.

It has been so long I'm not sure. Will have to take a look and post up some pics. Must get that cable 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Got a very underpriced toon link amiibo and a crap load of animal crossing card ones to use on breath of the wild, tom nook card stole my ruppies.

It has been so long I'm not sure. Will have to take a look and post up some pics. Must get that cable 😀

Here's a composite one,
    http://www.adverts.ie/2929407

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

@CptMackey Pm me i can send you a cable free of charge to help you get back gaming :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Does anyone want to send me a snes power supply free of charge? Oh and a copy of link to the past too. :p
    Be much obliged.

Sick of using this vtech cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Amiibo cards for 10c and 25c and 50c in cex worth grabbing a few just for Zelda supplies.

Advertisement