Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Gets!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Ah good to hear. I don't mind the ones for torture or finishing as they're expected (and produce fun results!). Did you replay chapters much to get better medals/rewards? I'm only at Chapter IV and pretty average with the medals so far. That weapons dude went and fashioned a cool looking sword for me but it didn't appear in the list to buy for some reason.

It must have been great fun working on that game thinking up crazy ass move sets.

Bayonetta is one of the rare games I actually replayed. Playing through on hard is well advised, because that's IMO where the game goes from fantastic to masterpiece status. I didn't go mad trying to get Pure Platinums (although the rush when you earn one is immense), but in the second my OCD is kicking in already so I might go back! I jumped straight into the hardest initially available difficulty with the second and it seems like the right choice so far as it makes the combat seem even more involved and breathtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

You will be glad to hear, though, QTEs are disposed of near entirely in the sequel, barring the returning prompts for torture attacks and finishing moves :)

That really annoyed me in the demo. I DIDN'T expect it.I died quite a few times fighting one of the minibosses because... Well, I didn't know why. Was I too slow? Was I being punished for button mashing? Had I neglected my health bar? Nope. QT muthafuthing E. In a game that's all about timing and precision and all conquering skill, is there a legitimate place for game-ending QTEs?

(Apparently yes, because they're not entirely gone.)

Wait a minute mister postman!
    Way-ay-ay-ait!
    Look and see...
    Is there a semi-naked gun-heeled pithy librarian in your bag for me?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You can die from QTEs :confused: I'm halfway through the game, and I haven't died from one once - just ended up with a slightly lower bonus once or twice. The thing is you very quickly learn that if you trigger a climax or torture attack you will have to mash a button for a few seconds. But since they're used as punctuation marks it never interrupts the flow of the combat itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

You can die from QTEs :confused: I'm halfway through the game, and I haven't died from one once - just ended up with a slightly lower bonus once or twice. The thing is you very quickly learn that if you trigger a climax or torture attack you will have to mash a button for a few seconds. But since they're used as punctuation marks it never interrupts the flow of the combat itself.

I think you can die if you miss the "climax" prompt to summon which I can understand someone missing if they've not played the game before.

There are no QTE's where you can actually die from an unexpected prompt like in the first game,I can think of two occasions where it was possible to mess up a perfect run with a death from a QTE, that was really frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Whoop whoop! The witches are my bitches! :D

• Advertisement

Yeah, in the prologue you can fall off a bridge after beating up the big yoke that chased you on the train. The Climax prompt disappears during combos so if you get carried away with the mashy-mashy smashy-smashy - and since he stops fighting back why wouldn't you? - you'll miss it unless you know it's there. The game only waits about 4 or 5 seconds for you to Climax before getting bored and dropping you off a cliff. I feel like that line needs a "fnaaaar!" but I'm not sure where or why...

Mine arrived last night - Hurray! Unfortunately I only had time to play one 15 minute go of 1 game, and Hyrule Warriors - which was a present from my kids - arrived at the same time. I mean, it's a good game and I had a lot of fun but still.... :D

BTW, my eldest daughter picked up Bayonetta 1 and exclaimed "I can see her bum!" which I'm pretty sure shows that regardless of intent, the execution is exploitative rather than empowering ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

In the spirit of the season I can now say

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Finally Bayonetta 2 Special Edition arrived this morning, a week after posting from the UK :(

First thoughts,
    WTF!
    She's driving mech!

Pokemon Typing adventure for £4.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Pokemon Typing adventure for £4.99.

Argos? With bluetooth keyboard?

• Advertisement

Yep. Reason I got it. Was in Strabane. Tested it on the nexus and it works so happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Shovel Knight on the 3DS is a cracker....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

What's you Christmas wishlist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Mr E wrote: »
    Shovel Knight on the 3DS is a cracker....

Yep started it yesterday. Loving it so far. Dark souls meets mega man

Anyone played Shovel Knight on both WiiU and 3DS? If so, which would you pick if you could only choose one, and you had a massive backlog on both but have just enough credit to get one anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got it on the PC 6 months ago, and always thought it would be a great fit for the 3DS (so that's what I got it for).

Note that there is a limited time offer of 33% off the 'other' version once you buy one of them (e.g. €15 on 3DS, then €10 on WiiU, or €15 on WiiU then €10 on 3DS.

The lack of cross play is such a shame. Blame Sony for making me believe I should get both handheld and console versions for one price. The 33% off is a bit of a kick in the teeth when the competition is so much more progressive IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The lack of cross play is such a shame. Blame Sony for making me believe I should get both handheld and console versions for one price. The 33% off is a bit of a kick in the teeth when the competition is so much more progressive IMO.

This is it exactly.
    If it wasn't for Sony's good deal for users Nintendo would look like they are delivering on a quality online service.
    But, in the current competitive world, Nintendo look like they have been left behind.
    Here's hoping a change may come with a more progressive system, but in the meantime there are, sadly, too few WiiU owners to make the lack of generosity a non issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

It is great on the 3DS reminds me of Faxanadu, Ducktales, Megaman, Kirby, Wonderboy, Alex Kidd and so many other 8bit and 16bit games, the music is awesome.

I had enough credit to get both with the launch offer. Haven't played on the WiiU yet but on 3DS it's fantastic. Took a while to get going, and initially I was not too thrilled, but once I figured out the Shovel-Jump thing (I didn't realise pushing down was enough, I thought you had to hit attack + down, and kept screwing it up) and met Black Knight I was sold :)
    Steel thy shovel!
    - priceless.
    I guess if you can't get behind the humour in everyone in the world accepting a shovel-wielding knight as a perfectly acceptable idea, maybe it's not for you, but by golly it's for me.

• Advertisement

I picked up Battalion Wars this morning for my GC and, the other day, I was given a gift of Mr Driller: Drilland for the Ntsc GC, playable via softmodding on the Wii, a most excellent game indeed.

Just picked up Animal Crossing for the GC for 18 and Orcs&Elves on the DS for €2, both in CEX, a good day out I'd say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Excellent price for GC Animal Crossing :eek:

The manual and memory card are missing but I have an extra card buried in the assorted treasures of the gamesroom.
    It's the only edition of the series that I really got into, the DS and Wii titles didn't capture my attention, and I haven't invested in the 3DS yet.
    I wonder if the WiiU will get an Animal Crossing of it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Picked up Final Fantasy IV in CeX for €12, no book but quite hard to find love the music and story to it too.

Just picked up LoZ Twilight Princess, for the GameCube, in CEX.
    It was 38 which is for nothing for this game, and it's in perfect condition with all of its manuals and inserts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just picked up LoZ Twilight Princess, for the GameCube, in CEX.
    It was 38 which is for nothing for this game, and it's in perfect condition with all of its manuals and inserts.

Niiiice.

I had a copy of Destiny for the ps4 I had not played with for 2 months, so trading that in TP only cost 8 euro.
    Sure I can buy back Destiny in the new year for feck all, not rushed, there'll always be east to find copies of it, Twilight Princess is a bit harder to come across, at least at that sort of price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

10847942_348327422016995_5004302115737623502_n.jpg?oh=daa4719d2333b5fd9781acf61c4d8765&oe=55409F54&__gda__=1429867500_845ae2bdebd2334bc4e9264e8a92e1ad

• Advertisement
Advertisement