Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglary in Portobello

Options
  • 30-06-2014 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, I live off Camden street and I just found out that a neighbour of mine was burgled on Saturday night. The guys got in through the back door and cleaned out the downstairs area while they were upstairs asleep. Our garden backs onto theirs and our bedroom is at the back on the ground floor so pretty concerned about it! We've fortunately got an alarm and some pretty comprehensive locks on all the doors and windows, so sound better equipped than most.

I'm kicking myself because earlier on Saturday a guy rang our bell three times. I ignored it the first time as I looked through the peep hole and didn't recognise him so i thought he just had the wrong door. Then he did it again and I assumed the same thing. Finally he knocked, so I opened the upstairs window and asked him what he wanted. He asked for a tissue for his injured hand (!!!). He was early 20s, 5'8 - 5'10 and looked a little like Johnny Sexton

It might have been unrelated as it was 5-6 hrs before the burglary, but I’m sure you’ll agree it was pretty suspicious. I’m so annoyed that I didn’t call the Garda there and then.

I thought it'd be worth sharing in case something similar happened to anyone else in the area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

What exactly would you have reported to the Guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tinc

Birneybau wrote: »
    What exactly would you have reported to the Guards?

Would you not agree that it's pretty suspicious behaviour? Our place is down a side street - very rate to get people down there who don't live there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

It would have been pointless to call the gardai at that point. If you felt he was scoping out the houses then telling your neighbours to be extra vigilant might have helped but you didn't suspect that he was on the rob. Not your fault. These things happen, you had the right idea having an alarm and extra secure locks which meant you weren't robbed. It's a horrible thing to happen for your neighbours though.

I guess. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say

Have you been speaking to the cops since the robbery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

tinc wrote: »
    Would you not agree that it's pretty suspicious behaviour? Our place is down a side street - very rate to get people down there who don't live there

I agree it's very suspicious alright, I think I know the houses you are talking about, a friend lived in one of them.

Unfortunately, as said above, the guards can't do anything until a crime takes place.

Have you been speaking to the cops since the robbery?

Yeah, I told them what happened and gave a description

Advertisement