Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Duathlon - advice needed

Options
  • 30-06-2014 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I posted this in the health and fitness forum but you might be in a better position to answer me.

A few years ago I started running and going to the gym to lose weight. I lost about 3 stone and really got into running. I was doing 5 miles every day and 10 miles on Saturday. Anyway I went back to college and working the same time so had no time to train and over 2 years put back on all the weight and lost my fitness.

I tried getting back into running but I hate running short distances. It just seems pointless and I don't enjoy it. I've started cycling to and from work (12km each way) and now I'm going to start adding running into the mix so the short distances won't seem so pointless. I train better when I have a goal to work towards too, so I'm considering signing up to do the Mondello duathlon in September. It's a 3k run, 20k cycle, 3k run. It's a very doable event I think and would give me some great motivation. This is where my questions come in!

1. Can anyone recommend a good training plan for me to use?
    2. What would be a respectable time for such an event, given my admittedly poor fitness level?
    3. Any general advice for me with regard preparation/training?
    4. Has anyone done this event? What was the level of competitors like? Was there a large turnout?

Really appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Advertisement