Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you care about getting a tan?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

No, as my skin doesn't tan anyway.

I don't get all the negativity. Some people have skin that tans easily, and once they wear a SPF, they're hardly stupid for going out in the sun.

Tanning doesn't seem to be as much of an obsession as it used to be either - in the 90s it was ridiculous. I know there's the Tallafornia thing and all that, but besides that stuff, people seem more careful about their skin these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I get headaches if I'm out in the sun for very long. My Dad had skin cancer so I'm very concious of it. I wear factor 30 for most of the year and factor 50 in Summer. So I'm milk white dappled with blue veins but I can't be bothered with fake tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Awwwwfook

I like being tanned, just back from France so nicely browned.. wish it would stay all year round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

I wear factor 30 for most of the year and factor 50 in Summer.

"An increase in SPF from 30 to 50 has only a one percent increase in protection against the harmful rays of the sun."

The difference between 30 and 50 is so minimal that it's not worth it. Furthermore, anything classified as 50+ is just nonsense. You're paying a premium for nothing and suppliers are not allowed classify anything with an SPF above 50 because it's false advertising.

Source: https://ph.she.yahoo.com/spf-100-no-better-than-spf-30--says-dermatologists.html

There's plenty of other sources to back it up too. Personally, I never go above 30 and even at that I'd use it for 2 days max before I go down to 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I tried to get a tan but I couldn't, they're much fitter than they look.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭AdolfHipster

Don't neccessarily "care" but if I happen to get a light tan whilst out in the sun - I'm mildly pleased.

Does getting a tan cause skin cancer? .

Unless you have naturally dark or sallow skin, brown skin is damaged skin.
    getting a tan isn't actually harmful, (or people in the likes or Portugal/Spain etc, should all be dropping of skin cancer!

People from Spain and Portugal have naturally higher levels of melanin in their skin, so it's not comparing like with like.

If you're naturally very pale, then your skin browning is how your skin signals it's being damaged.

I go brown just looking at a good weather forcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Never get a Tan, the Sun doesn't shine at the Bar

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I care about not getting a tan. Being pale or looking like a well seasoned Spanish leather handbag?? Ill take being pale.

There's a middle ground. The "well season leather handbag" look are people who worship the sun with a very low factor on. I see it here; men and women lying out for hours and hours with that tanning oil stuff on with factor 2 in it or something. It doesn't bode well for their skin in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Nah, don't really care. I have pale skin, but it does tan. Takes a while though! I very rarely sit out in the sun to get a tan.

Also never wear fake tan. Except the very odd time. Many girls I know wear fake tan everyday...could you be arsed ??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

No choice, I'm half Sicilian, it's in the genes

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

I indulge in a lot of unhealthy activities because I enjoy them. Getting a tan is one unhealthy activity that I take no pleasure in, so I actively avoid it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Nah, don't really care. I have pale skin, but it does tan. Takes a while though! I very rarely sit out in the sun to get a tan.

Also never wear fake tan. Except the very odd time. Many girls I know wear fake tan everyday...could you be arsed ??!

If you already exfoliate and moisturise then wearing fake tan every day wouldn't be that much effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Tayla wrote: »
    If you already exfoliate and moisturise then wearing fake tan every day wouldn't be that much effort.
    Exfoliation also sounds like effort :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Egass13 wrote: »
    I'm ginger. So for that reason,

I'm out.

Hahahahaha!! Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Lia_lia wrote: »
    It just looks wrong on me anyway - even with exfoliation/moisturising beforehand.

Advertisement