Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV on PS3?

• 30-06-2014 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,062 ✭✭✭✭

Any way of watching tv on PS3 folks? RTE player is no longer available

Comments

If you can find a play tv tuner for sale anywhere then yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭positron

I am looking for one these Play TV tuners myself as a stop gap solution for the ps3 + projector setup. I found some used ones in CeX UK for around £10 but none locally.

PS: If anyone has one for sale, please drop me a PM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

I see that CEX Ireland have a few for sale...

https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SPS3PTV001#.VKUcNiusUWU

€25 so you may want to shop around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

You may be able to watch sky on the ps3. It is definitely there for the ps4.

Managed to pick up a tuner in Belfast Cex today for £10. Couple of more left in the North in Lisburn etc. However, joy was short lived as it didn't come with a disk and aparantly you can not download for free or for money from PlayStation or anywhere else for that matter. But it looks like there's one of these disks (only) for sale in CEX down south - which I hope to pick up tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,446 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I forget how much it was but I remember a shop opposite the Talbot St Super Valu has a PlayTV on display. It's one of those second hand CD/DVD/Games shop that you wonder how it is still open. I'll investigate more tomorrow if I'm in town.

I was at CeX Santry this morning based on their stock checker showing Play TV Disc in stock there.

However the folks in there says they don't have it in stock. And / or don't want to sell it to me - my money perhaps isn't the right colour or something to them, who knows! :/ I am slightly disappointed considering such a nice experience I had at CeX Ann St Belfast. They were were helpful (although they should have given me the CD with the tuner, they didn't know, neither did I).

So quest continues. What is even worse is that you only need to disc to just the start the process - PS3 will immediately download an updated version.

Update: I got hold of the Play TV disc, cable/wire/install/update - and it's all working. Great quality RTE2 HD via PlayTV/PS3 to projector.

Couple of issues I have noticed so far -

* PlayTV didn't see any signal strength with small bunny ear type antenna. It had to be connected to roof-top antenna (I am in Drogheda, with decent Soarview reception according to coverage map).
    * PS3 freezing (blank screen and requiring a hard reboot). It's a PS3 Slim with latest firmware, also latest Play TV update (2.0.4). This issue shouldn't happen according to various discussions online, but happened a couple of times within the 10 mins I was playing around with PlayTV / epg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I remember something about rabbit ears not working with Saorview for some reason.

EDIT:
    The 'rabbit ears' you talk of are usually VHF. The aerial for Saorview needs to be a UHF aerial, and, in strong signal areas, a very simple aerial will work. The weaker the signal strength, the better the aerial you will need.

The freezing issue happens a lot. Usually happens when changing channels.

• Advertisement

Tried it again and yes, freezing while changing channels - not always though. When it works it brilliant, but when it crashes, its a pain in the neck.

The rabbit ears I got says it's good for Saorview, but considering I paid a massive €1.49 for it at Dealz, I wasn't expecting it to be brilliant anyway. Connecting to roof-top antenna I get whole bunch of channels, CH4, many BBCs - it's pretty awesome.

Shame about the freezing issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Are these Play TV things still available does anyone know?

CEX would be your best bet. It's not worth paying any more than a tenner anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Does it still work? There used PS3 support for the RTE player but it's long gone afaik.

Advertisement