Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax on P2P lending profits

Options
  • 30-06-2014 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I have been looking at investing some money into P2P lending companies both here and abroad. I want to know how any profits on such investments are taxed. I brought up the idea while out with some friends over the weekend and nobody could agree exactly how such profits would be taxed and if anything the discussion has left me more confused.

I am aware of the risks of such lending so I am not looking for that type of advice but if anybody could explain about the tax side of things then I would be extremely grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

My understanding is that you lend money to the enterprise. The enterprise then repays you an agreed rate of interest.

Interest is taxed asincome at your marginal rate of tax, PRSI is due (if a chargable person) and USC. There may be withholding tax obligations on the enterprise but you will get a credit for that.

Advertisement