Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small bit of help please

• 30-06-2014 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, posting for a friend if that's ok?
    My friend was married for 18months (ish) and it broke down irreconcilably nearly a year ago.
    They have a civil, friendly relationship and have agreed on everything so just want it put in an agreement.
    My friend was told by a solicitor it had to be done in the county they live in and would cost 2,000+ just for the solicitors time and he would need to engage a barrister to go to court so would be at least €5,000!

I'm quite confused after reading a few posts here I thought it would be more simple? Surely if it's all in agreement it can't cost that much?

Edited to add- I'm not looking for legal advice of course! Just wondering if they seems a bit much!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

When you say "The country they live in " I take it you don't mean Ireland . Where do they each live ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

desbrook wrote: »
    When you say "The country they live in " I take it you don't mean Ireland . Where do they each live ?

The county they live in- Dublin, galway, Kildare etc. He has moved away recently but the solicitor insists it has to be dealt with by a court in the county they were living as a couple in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Op if its an amicable divorce she can do it herself by downloading all the forms from the site. There is a thread on DIY divorces and all the info is in there. I did it but I used a company to help - cost me 400!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Dovies wrote: »
    Op if its an amicable divorce she can do it herself by downloading all the forms from the site. There is a thread on DIY divorces and all the info is in there. I did it but I used a company to help - cost me 400!

Her friend can't get divorced yet. There's more than three years before that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

desbrook wrote: »
    Her friend can't get divorced yet. There's more than three years before that :(

Oops didnt see the year bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭iuil1999

Mediation is probably the best route for them. It's free (provided by the state free of charge) and replaces a separation agreement through the solicitors. Then when the time comes they can get a divorce. Search the Citizens Information website. Hth.

Advertisement