Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

commuting

• 30-06-2014 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Parking in work has become impossible so I'm looking at getting sorted with a bike for commuting in and out.

I have to wear a suit tho. Anybody here commute in a suit? Is it feasible. I can leave the jacket in work which should help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

CptMackey wrote: »
    Parking in work has become impossible so I'm looking at getting sorted with a bike for commuting in and out.

I have to wear a suit tho. Anybody here commute in a suit? Is it feasible. I can leave the jacket in work which should help

Don't commute in it but get changed in work the only awkward bit is the suit jacket. Rest can be folded and if you have a top box it won't even get messy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

And what happens on a rainy day?
    Just wear proper bike suit and change in work.
    As the previous post says, if you have a top box or panniers you can neatly bring clothes and shoes with you.
    There's also the small matter of having a spill off the bike, even at very low speed, wearing slacks and a shirt and tie. Whatever you do, DO NOT compromise your safety. Ever.
    I had a low speed tumble off my bike 2011, wearing full leathers. My right knee cap pad was gouged, and nothing happened my knee. Which made me think of people that wear 'normal' clothing while biking. Its really not worth it.

You can get decent gore tex waterproof bike gear for a relatively small price. Does your work place have changing facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AD!

I leave the suit jacket in work - I rarely wear it anyway and I bring my shoes and pants in a waterproof gear bag. I wear my shirt underneath my jacket.
    It's very manageable and think of all the time you will save in commuting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I wear my trousers and shirt under my bike gear.
    I leave my shoes at work.

On a very hot day I'll bring the clothes and change at work.

My biggest issue is helmet hair. Haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

CptMackey wrote: »

I think you need to asses your reason for getting a bike. If parking is the only problem there must be an other alternative. While parking a bike is handy it's less secure than a car. If you are dealing with heavy traffic too then a bike might be the best option.

To answer your question though, do not commute in anything but full bike gear. I wear my work clothes (jeans and polo shirt) under my textiles. Surprisingly it doesn't get too hot in this weather, it keeps me dry in poor weather and most importantly, it has protection. Not sure you'd want to wear your suit under textiles though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Think I should have been a small bit clearer. When I said commuting in a suit I should have said using the bike to go to work and having to wear a suit there :)

I completely understand where ye are coming from regarding the safety gear tho.

Top box etc sounds like a reasonable plan

As regards parking. Would be able to put in into a secure work garage where I'd never fit the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lots of people here commute. It's expensive to get set up, never mind the bike and insurance: jacket, trousers, boots, lid, gloves, lock, top box/waterpproof bag all add up.

But definitely feasible. I have a locker in work and a decent shower room if needed. That makes it easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I wear slacks and a shirt under my leathers (an sometimes a thin jumper also) and keep a suit jacket and shoes in work. I can't recommend it more, you'll actually look forward to the trip to work and last winter particularly was really mild. If it snows or is icy for a few weeks, be prepared to bus/car/work from home - not worth it imo

What's the commute?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Commute into work myself due to heavy traffic and a lack of parking, the time saved on the trip and always having somewhere to park are really big pluses (is that a word?) for me, I don't have to wear a suit but I couldn't see it being a problem under the bike gear as my jeans etc. do be fine.
    The jacket would be the only dodgy bit and as others have said just leave it in work, or get a top box, problem sorted. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭CNTRLR

i will say i am a fair weather commuter, only take the bike as its much more entertaining than the car, but i do face the occasional traffic jam on a motorway if i choose to take it.. i wear jeans and a polo shirt under my textiles and would normally take my kriega with a spare tshirt etc in it,

some of the guys i work with wear pants under their textiles and bring their shirt and tie with them in a backpack but leave the suit jacket and shoes in the office, which makes it less to bring in and out every day..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

I only have a bike for transport - and I'm female. I always wear full gear but once you get the gear off, people haven't a clue you've arrived on a bike and are usually pleasantly surprised.

Keep a spare pair of shoes at work though if you can, - I always remembered the clothes but once or twice forgot shoes. A suit with motorbike boots is not a great look :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I only got a bike and commute everyday for the past 3 years. Like other poeple I keep spare shoes at work and carry clothes and raingear in top box. Get a top box if u wanna commute, it's invaluable and doesnt cost a fortune. Also dont worry about winter months, I commute for 3 years and didn't t have to seek alternative transport once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

szatan84 wrote: »
    I only got a bike and commute everyday for the past 3 years. Like other poeple I keep spare shoes at work and carry clothes and raingear in top box. Get a top box if u wanna commute, it's invaluable and doesnt cost a fortune. Also dont worry about winter months, I commute for 3 years and didn't t have to seek alternative transport once.
    Think it was 4 years since the snow ;)
    The bad weather really depends on your commute. If you live in Roundwood and heading into dublin you'll be in trouble. I lived in Meath and it was 15km before i got to the m50, the odd day it would be bad. But now living within the m50 and commuting into the city it hasn't effected me since the snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Would have about 20km commute. Id cycle it in 40 mins but there are no showers.

Most of the commute is on main roads so the bad weather shouldn't be a major issue but could use the car those days . Bad thing is commute by car is over 40 mins during the school time

fleabag wrote: »
    I only have a bike for transport - and I'm female. I always wear full gear but once you get the gear off, people haven't a clue you've arrived on a bike and are usually pleasantly surprised.

Wow, you must work with nice people! Last time I took all my gear off I nearly got sacked! Deffo did not get the reception you did! Or does that tell me something about me? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I commute year round. I bought a Roadcrafter Light with armour on sale from Aerostich. It has been one of the best purchases for the bike I've ever made, in and out of the suit in a matter of seconds. Wear your street clothes underneath.
    To top it off it has never let a drop of water in and most definitely no biker wet crotch.

I'll echo what people have said with regards to a top box, get the biggest one that will fit on your bike without looking stupid. Pay for a decent brand too. I bought the biggest Givi box going and it's fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Wow, you must work with nice people! Last time I took all my gear off I nearly got sacked!
    I don't get some peoples reaction to this. It's not like you're stripping down to your kacks, you're fully clothed underneath.

When I first started doing it I was a bit self conscious but I don't give it a second thought now and it's a big open plan office. A few comments on my back protector every once and a while but that's all I get.

You could like this guy I spotted a few years back (before I was a biker :o)
    9442996911_c65155923b_c.jpgDSC00659 by ChannelSwitch, on Flickr

Everyone's tips are spot on. Get a Top box, keep a pair of shoes in the office along with your suit jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

cbf600f the perfect commuter....or bmw k1200lt if you wanna stay dry and listen to the news...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I ride all year round and I would say invest in the best boots you can afford, soaking wet feet are the worst and if, like me, your job wouldn't have the best facilities for drying gear, you want the best waterproof boots so that when you put them on in the evening they're not still wet from the morning. I also keep spare gloves in my bag.
    I'm not a fan of luggage and top boxes, that's just me. I always carry a backpack and all my essentials fit in my backpack, that's formal office wear and shoes, lunch, 3 litres of water and sometimes a handbag. Obviously make sure you have a decent sized waterproof backpack.

As regards the actual bike gear you want to wear, that's entirely up to yourself.

The Don wrote: »
    I don't get some peoples reaction to this. It's not like you're stripping down to your kacks, you're fully clothed underneath.

:eek::eek: That was a joke!

• Advertisement
Advertisement