Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement immersion switch

Options
  • 30-06-2014 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi, I'm looking for a replacement immersion switch. Actually, there are two switches (on/off with a light and bath/sink) - I'd post a photo but I don't have enough boards posts to allow me do do that.

Any ideas where I could find a good selection of these types of switches in Dublin?

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

555 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking for a replacement immersion switch. Actually, there are two switches (on/off with a light and bath/sink) - I'd post a photo but I don't have enough boards posts to allow me do do that.

Any ideas where I could find a good selection of these types of switches in Dublin?

Thanks a million.

Don't go to Woodies or B&Q for something like this. Go to a good electrical wholesalers (trade counter). Ask for a good brand like mk.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 555

Thanks for the info. Turns out the broken switch is an MK (K5207WHI) - found it on Amazon!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cobham

I got mine recently from electrical supplier on Nutgrove Avenue, Rathfarnham for about 30 euro.

cobham wrote: »
    I got mine recently from electrical supplier on Nutgrove Avenue, Rathfarnham for about 30 euro.

If you went in in work clothes you'd have gotten it for €20 or less.

I ended up ordering it on Amazon (€25 incl. delivery). Better option for me than taking time off work to hunt one down locally. Shame that Irish wholesalers / retailers don't seem to have good online catalogs.

• Advertisement

I find most Irish businesses aren't up to scratch with online trading. Some do it very well and others dont do it at all. I dont understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Out of curiosity how do you know your switch is faulty?

Also every electrical wholesaler would have had a suitable switch in stock, they also usually know what ones are reliable too.

As most of their business is direct with electricians I doubt if the cost of building and maintaining a website is worth it.

Out of curiosity how do you know your switch is faulty?

The switching mechanism was rough (like there was something abrasive in it) so needed to be forced in to the on position. Even then it would randomly switch off.
    Also every electrical wholesaler would have had a suitable switch in stock, they also usually know what ones are reliable too.

True. I just got the same model switch as it's worked fine for 13 years.
    As most of their business is direct with electricians I doubt if the cost of building and maintaining a website is worth it.

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

555 wrote: »
    The switching mechanism was rough (like there was something abrasive in it) so needed to be forced in to the on position. Even then it would randomly switch

Fair enough, you would be surprised at how many people blame the switch when the symptoms indicate a faulty element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

cobham wrote: »

That was mental money, was it brass/brushed chrome switch by any chance?

• Advertisement

That was mental money, was it brass/brushed chrome switch by any chance?

I know the wholesalers he is talking about. Think they have a branch northside too.
    IIf a tradesman goes in its wholesale price. I a member of the public goes in its wholesale robbery! 😂

Switch arrived and I fitted it last night. All working again - thanks for the advice.

Well done

Advertisement