Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Sat Nav in Ireland

Options
  • 30-06-2014 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭

Just back from the US and bought this Garmin 52LM, as it makes more sense than forking out for a unit every time I pick up a rental Stateside.

I'm just wondering if setting it up in Ireland will pose any difficulties, i.e. does the unit need to acquire a satellite signal (in the US) to successfully complete the set up process?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Just back from the US and bought this Garmin 52LM, as it makes more sense than forking out for a unit every time I pick up a rental Stateside.

I'm just wondering if setting it up in Ireland will pose any difficulties, i.e. does the unit need to acquire a satellite signal (in the US) to successfully complete the set up process?

Any ideas much appreciated.

It'll work fine here, but you'll need local maps

Get some European maps on an SD card and it'll work just fine here as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

mikeecho wrote: »
    It'll work fine here, but you'll need local maps

Get some European maps on an SD card and it'll work just fine here as well.

Good to know the SD card option's available. :)

As I'll be using it primarily in the U.S. though, I want to know if I can set it up here before I travel - so that on my next trip to the States, I just power it up & off I go. I'm wondering whether it needs to acquire a sat signal for the first time as part of its initial set-up & if so, will the fact I'd be doing it in Ireland (on a unit with U.S. mapping data only) cause any issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Good to know the SD card option's available. :)

As I'll be using it primarily in the U.S. though, I want to know if I can set it up here before I travel - so that on my next trip to the States, I just power it up & off I go. I'm wondering whether it needs to acquire a sat signal for the first time as part of its initial set-up & if so, will the fact I'd be doing it in Ireland (on a unit with U.S. mapping data only) cause any issues?

You can set it up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Wondering if you've managed to buy European maps for your US GPS? Am in same situation now. Bought GPS over there instead of renting it, and thought would be nice to use here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Yep, picked up European maps at a decent price on ebay.

I'll PM you the link

• Advertisement
Advertisement