Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone rip off , a disgrace

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 rickjames16

Not sure If that's similar or not .. Plus (and if I picked out the right comment ) that guy was out of contract so they used a carrot to get him again !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I can't for the life of me understand why people have data turned on while on holiday anyway.
    Just keep it off and if you really need it find a convenient place with WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Afraid there's nothing you can do about it op only bend over and take it. I was <SNIP> in similar fashion by Meteor. I will admit to turning on data for an hour when our bus broke and we were stuck on it for 9 hours. My fault I guess.

But at the end of the day I was in France, in the European union and I can't see how they let there people get <SNIP> by huge multinational phone companies. They may allow you pay the fine over a number of months but they generally prefer their money straight up.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

The vodafone red roaming is brilliant, €3 for 100MB. As long as you don't go on youtube, stream music or send a lot of pictures and stuff through what's app and the likes, you're grand. If you need access to email and google maps (although best to turn it off when you've an hour or so between each next turn) and the likes, it's perfect.

Their notification set up is confusing and I had similar texts as described in that thread I linked to above about my limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,183 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I can't for the life of me understand why people have data turned on while on holiday anyway.
    Just keep it off and if you really need it find a convenient place with WiFi.

Exactly, was in Spain a couple of weeks ago and used the hotel wifi and wifi in pubs etc. Baffles me that anyone would do anything else and then be surprised that its costly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Unlock your smartphone and get a local sim. Just did it in croatia, 10 days with 2gb internet only about €15. We wanted it for maps. OH on Vodafone and really 2.99 for 100mb is expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They sent you warnings and this is part of the service which you signed up to and is part of the contract. they then failed to provide these texts warning of reaching data limits so they are in effect responsible for your usage above the allowed limit by not warning you as they did previously with you and do with other customers. They can't treat you differently to other customers so you can't be penalised for not getting a text that most other customers get.

Perhaps vodafone did send them but they werent received? SMS does not guarantee delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Unlock your smartphone and get a local sim. Just did it in croatia, 10 days with 2gb internet only about €15. We wanted it for maps. OH on Vodafone and really 2.99 for 100mb is expensive.

It depends, I think it's great value compared to any other solutions at present. But for me it's not uncommon that I'd be driving through 5 different countries in a 24 hour period so to not have to worry about changing sims, missing calls on my number, carrying a spare phone, a sim for each country, having to top up each sim, look out for the best deal for each country and all the rest, it's definitely worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

OP, why didn't the you check what data roaming charges might cost before you went abroad? Twice! I find it also amazing you didn't even check your bill-pay balance (it's easy) after the first trip to see what you were charged for the first trip, either actions could have saved you incurring additional charges for services you used but didn't need. It's annoying, (putting it mildly) to be hit by an unexpected high bill but their prices are publically available and you are responsible for ensuring you are informed.

Listen good advice about getting foreign sims and I will look into that next time ! As for the the people that said it "baffled" them why I didn't hook into the hotel wifi , iv never claimed to be the brightest button but if there was hotel wifi I would have hooked into it ! As for youtube etc , I didn't go near it .... And the other point of advice I got about not needing internet ! When your stuck by a pool for days on end with your better half , bored off your tree , sky sports app, the score , balls.ie , the indo generally help keep your sanity !!
    I'm not arguing bending over and paying it etc where ye are advising me ! What I'm arguing over is the inconsistency of the text messages and how I felt conned because as I keep saying they came the first two days lulling me into feeling safe to continue using the internet etc ! I also have an issue with never receiving the texts warning me about exceeding date usage in Ireland and finally not receiving my bills anymore via text or in fact at all ! If some one on this thread doesn't get that these three things prove there's a glitch in their system and led to them treating a customer very unfairly then I give up !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

sky sports app, the score , balls.ie , the indo generally help keep your sanity !!
    ........there's a glitch in their system and led to them treating a customer very unfairly then I give up !

Ah come on, you are not talking about going over your quota because you sent a few texts, you were reading the news paper on your phone. The text you got at €50 is the same one we all get when we go above our agreed phone/data amount.

Sorry OP but when I read the line about the apps you were using and data downloading, any understanding I have for your predicament goes out the window. Every person who ever used a smart phone knows if you use the internet while abroad, you get clobbered, that's why in most cases it is used only in emergency or when in a wifi area.

Davo 10 , understanding ? You have left a lot of comments on this thread but I didn't see any understanding , every one of your comments just blames me for this ! I have no argument as I keep sayin about using the apps etc ! As I have consistently said my argument is the lack of texts , getting them and then not getting them etc warning me !
    I keep repeating myself here but also not getting the texts in Ireland when I'm approaching my quota as well ! My argument is not that I used the data it is that their warning systems failed to work ..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The only argument you might have is if Vodafone are contractually obliged to send you warning texts and reminders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Davo 10 , understanding ? You have left a lot of comments on this thread but I didn't see any understanding , every one of your comments just blames me for this ! I have no argument as I keep sayin about using the apps etc ! As I have consistently said my argument is the lack of texts , getting them and then not getting them etc warning me !
    I keep repeating myself here but also not getting the texts in Ireland when I'm approaching my quota as well ! My argument is not that I used the data it is that their warning systems failed to work ..

Your thread title is "Vodafore rip off. A disgrace", as I and many others keep telling you, you can't be ripped off if you are charged what you agreed to pay in your contract. We all know roaming charges are a disgrace, I think I heard earlier today that they have been reduced, I'll give you that part. But when you read the paper on your phone, in a different country, using a different network and server, then you should know you are going to pay for it. Are you certain the texts were not to be sent out when you reached your normal call and text quota?, data download is a different and expensive additional charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

dudara wrote: »
    The only argument you might have is if Vodafone are contractually obliged to send you warning texts and reminders.

But does the Comreg advice not specifically state that the provider is supposed to send a warning?
    Data Usage Alert
    A consumer who data roams is automatically opted into a data price cap / alert of €61.50 including VAT unless they have requested not to receive the usage alert. A consumer will be advised when they reach 80% of the data usage cap and at 100 % of the data usage cap. The consumer can then decide to continue to data roam or not. The alert is provided to ensure that consumers do not incur high data roaming charges while travelling.

Since 1 July 2012 consumers who travel outside the EU also receive this data usage alert while travelling. If the operator is unable to send the alert due to the network provider in another country the consumer should receive an SMS from the operator advising the consumer that the operator cannot apply the data usage alert in that country.

- See more at: http://www.askcomreg.ie/news/reduced_roaming_rates_from_1_july_2013.7.1082.LE.asp#sthash.tfz0Mp22.dpuf

"As I and many others keep telling you "

No davo 10 , this is your 10 th message telling me ! What I used the data for is not relevant , it is that their own warning system did not work ! You keep saying the same thing .. What's your reasoning to why I never get a message in Ireland so when I approach my ussage limit like others , mr Vodafone spokesman ? Or why 4 months ago , pre holiday my bill text messages stopped coming ?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

I can relate to the OP to a certain extent, The last two times I went away on VF red roaming I was charged €2.99 a day plus a €10/€12 EU data roaming add on which I didn't need (as I was on the red roaming) or want. In fairness to Vodafone, they did refund me when I rang to complain stating it was an error on their part , but the fact of the matter was, if I hadn't had noticed, I would have been overcharged.

This along with other reasons is why I am strongly considering leaving VF at the end of my contact.

Also for the people saying to use WiFi, it is easier said then done when in Rural areas, even in places like France..!

however I do think that if you plan on using data, you should research local Sims, as they usually provide competitive rates (Something I have become wise to)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Work in this area, they are legally obliged to send you a text at 80% (€48 euro) and then another at €60. However it gets complicated with bundles.

judging by their site you have to opt in (which you did?):

Vodafone Roaming

when you go outside this rate but have opted in to the offer, you are charged a certain amount (depending on roaming area) for going outside the 100MB. The offer appears to last for three months according to the website. The offer is a daily one, so for 2.99 you would have been getting 100MB per day (2.99 each day). You approached the 100MB each day which would be pretty high data usage.

If you didn't opt into these offers you are charged at a different rate.

Roaming rates outside bundle

A lot of this stuff isn't clear black and white, first of all, where were you roaming and on what networks? If you were roaming on a different network at any point other than one they have a deal with, then the bundle may not have been applying and as such you were getting charged the higher rates (so in country one you could have been on Network A which Vodafone have a deal with, but changed to Network B due to coverage, and as such started getting charged the higher rates). For Country B the 2.99 offer should have still been running as it is active for 3 months, but it doesn't look like it was activated as in this country it seems like you only got the €48 limit warning, although it's hard to tell.

You mentioned that you turned off your internet, but was this only for the days where you got the warning message? Did you turn the internet back on for holiday one on subsequent days?

It looks like on holiday one you were opted in for the RED Roaming deal, and got charged 2.99 per day, this would be for any roaming event you made, so calls and texts would also activate the charge, not just data.

Possibly wrong here!

On holiday two, it would appear that this offer wasn't active (for data anyway), so you were just charged traditional rates. If you can verify this, and verify you were on a roaming partner in country two and that you hadn't deactivated the offer you could argue that they shouldn't have been charging you out of bundle rates and only charging you for the 100MB per day.

By the way, for their offers they probably aren't obliged to send you a text to say you are going out of bundle (i.e getting charged outside of your 100MB, but they probably are set up to do that, there's no guarantee's though and it looks like you were having SMS issues before hand so it would explain why those messages didn't reach you.

Also also, if you opted in to the RED Roaming and did other activites, such as make calls and sent texts you were still getting charged 2.99 per day as you are constantly activating the offer each day, it's not just data.

Nope, I'm wrong ehre, that's what I get for posting late at night...

Advertisement