Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 month old throwing herself backwards

Options
  • 30-06-2014 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Wondering if this is something all babies go through at some stage...

We're first time parents so I don't know if this is 'normal' or not. Our 11 month old has a bit of a temper at times! But when she gets upset/annoyed etc. She sometimes throws herself backwards. It's ok if she's in her cot or on the bed, or sofa. But she does it even if she's sitting on the floor... or If you pick her up.

I'm worried that she might do it and crack her head on the hard floor.

Also, if we're holding her and she does it we can end up getting a speedloaf to the face/nose/jaw/chest!!

Any suggestions?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yes my daughter used to do this. I think it's pretty normal. She doesn't do it anymore. I can't remember when exactly she stopped but it was quite a while ago, she is 2.5 now. There isn't really much you can do other than if you can see she is about to have a tantrum, be there to catch her or move her onto the sofa or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yes my daughter used to do this. I think it's pretty normal. She doesn't do it anymore. I can't remember when exactly she stopped but it was quite a while ago, she is 2.5 now. There isn't really much you can do other than if you can see she is about to have a tantrum, be there to catch her or move her onto the sofa or something.

Our second fella used to do the same. Throw himself backwards on the couch mostly. Cracked his head off the wall (luckily a partition wall) a few times. Now that's he's two and a half he's progressed to the James Brown style of throwing himself on his knees in anguish at our cruelty of not letting him play with knives, forks, eat chocolate all day etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

mordeith wrote: »
    Our second fella used to do the same. Throw himself backwards on the couch mostly. Cracked his head off the wall (luckily a partition wall) a few times. Now that's he's two and a half he's progressed to the James Brown style of throwing himself on his knees in anguish at our cruelty of not letting him play with knives, forks, eat chocolate all day etc.

That reminds me. My brother used to have a James Brown figure with a motion sensor on it. Any time you passed by he would dance and it would play "I feel good"..... His kids were terrified of it! He used to leave it on the bottom step and they never went near the stairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

My 18 month old did this up till a few months ago.

Just seemed to grow out of it, I think when he could express himself a bit better. Seemed to be borne out of frustration.

nothing to worry about at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes...my daughter did this at exactly that age, it was always a form of protest. They do grow out of it as they learn to express themselves and learn to walk - stamping her feet and plodding around looking dejected is her 20-month-old way of telling us we're so unfair. Although the other night in an attempt to lean against the wall in a temper, she ran headfirst into it :eek:
    She did forget why she was so annoyed though :D

All you can really do is be prepared when you see the temper rising to have a hand behind her head. Don't worry that much about it though. Kids are closer to the ground and have hard heads. They will hit their head. All the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement