Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roxboro Road Bring Bank

• 30-06-2014 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭

Roxboro Shopping Center has the highest recycling rates in.Limerick and now they plan on removing the collection of plastic bottles there with little prior warning, this is a disgrace please share and make a complaint an absolute joke...its more receptacles we need there not less....

1800 216 816:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Steveon, any chance you could pop up a link to where it is being reported that the collections are being stopped?

Link to one of the local papers, if they are running it, would be fine thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I visited park road recycling centre and same sign was there . Was informed all plastic bottle collections have been stopped by the provider of the service. Only place left is mungret amenity centre complete disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭georgem25

Plastic is gone from City Hall since June 30th :(

georgem25 wrote: »
    Plastic is gone from City Hall since June 30th :(

A complete disgrace they ask us to recycle and provide us with locations we get used to them drop them just like that

Responce from the council regarding the collection of plastic bottles.

Dear Sir,

I refer to your email in relation to the removal of the Plastic Bring Bank from Roxboro Shopping Centre.

A decision has been taken to remove this and other receptacles for Plastic from locations in Limerick for the following reasons

(1) The plastic collection contract is quite an expensive contract to fund from Council resources.

(2) Many Householders and the Business community can and do avail of a collection service from one of the authorised service providers. The collection of plastics and other dry recyclables is then available from the kerbside.

(3) There is an option available to take plastics and many other recyclable items to the Council Recycling Centre in Mungret. Please see attached for further information.

Regards

Staff Officer
    Environment Section
    (061) 496489

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Hooked

So, if like me. you've no bin service (I use the big bin for 6 euro once every 2 months), you're basically screwed!

No where to recycle for free... In 2014... REALLY?

Is there a charge to use Mungret for just plastics, bottles and cardboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Hooked wrote: »
    So, if like me. you've no bin service (I use the big bin for 6 euro once every 2 months), you're basically screwed!

No where to recycle for free... In 2014... REALLY?

Is there a charge to use Mungret for just plastics, bottles and cardboard?

Yes, there's a charge for using Mungret recycling centre with the exception for recycling electrical goods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was at the Dock Rd recycling bins over the weekend and pretty sure there's a recycling bin for plastic bottles there. Was only using it for glass bottles but I thought I saw one for plastic.

phog wrote: »
    I was at the Dock Rd recycling bins over the weekend and pretty sure there's a recycling bin for plastic bottles there. Was only using it for glass bottles but I thought I saw one for plastic.

Every single one in limk city has now been removed. It will cost you five euro to use the recycling plant in mungret.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

Well my Dad will be annoyed about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

steveon wrote: »
    Responce from the council regarding the collection of plastic bottles.

Dear Sir,

I refer to your email in relation to the removal of the Plastic Bring Bank from Roxboro Shopping Centre.

A decision has been taken to remove this and other receptacles for Plastic from locations in Limerick for the following reasons

(1) The plastic collection contract is quite an expensive contract to fund from Council resources.

(2) Many Householders and the Business community can and do avail of a collection service from one of the authorised service providers. The collection of plastics and other dry recyclables is then available from the kerbside.

(3) There is an option available to take plastics and many other recyclable items to the Council Recycling Centre in Mungret. Please see attached for further information.

Regards

Staff Officer
    Environment Section
    (061) 496489

Limerick City and County Council has a budget for 2014 of €173,200,000
    see here for details http://localauthorityfinances.com/spending/20/
    The budget for Environmental Services (Fire services, waste and litter management) is €38.05m or 21.97% of Budget
    The greatest portion of the budget €14,895,200 is allocated to the Fire Service. (Fireman Sam doing well)
    The budget for recycling appears to be €866,000
    The budget for Waste Management Planning (talking about recycling) appears to be €1,212,400
    The budget for Local Representatives (40 Windbag Councillors) is €2,424,800 or €60,620 per Councillor.
    I am sure that in there or in many of the other budgets we could find the funding to pay for this necessary service, but, this is probably beyond the ability of our Local Authority.
    Limerick City Council had a motto "Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli"
    "There was an ancient city very fierce in the skills of war"
    Now that we have the new Limerick City and County Council may I suggest a new motto
    "Why do something, when we can talk about doing it instead"
    Starting with the City of Culture fiasco, we truly are a great little city altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

jbkenn wrote: »
    Limerick City and County Council has a budget for 2014 of €173,200,000
    see here for details http://localauthorityfinances.com/spending/20/
    The budget for Environmental Services (Fire services, waste and litter management) is €38.05m or 21.97% of Budget
    The greatest portion of the budget €14,895,200 is allocated to the Fire Service. (Fireman Sam doing well)
    The budget for recycling appears to be €866,000
    The budget for Waste Management Planning (talking about recycling) appears to be €1,212,400
    The budget for Local Representatives (40 Windbag Councillors) is €2,424,800 or €60,620 per Councillor.
    I am sure that in there or in many of the other budgets we could find the funding to pay for this necessary service, but, this is probably beyond the ability of our Local Authority.
    Limerick City Council had a motto "Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli"
    "There was an ancient city very fierce in the skills of war"
    Now that we have the new Limerick City and County Council may I suggest a new motto
    "Why do something, when we can talk about doing it instead"
    Starting with the City of Culture fiasco, we truly are a great little city altogether.

Ah come on your not seriously having a go at the Fire Services. Lads that do amazing work and are often feiced about by false calls. Heros each one
    in my eyes.

As for the City of Culture forgetting the start of it fiasco the events have been amazing. The people of the city have seen abandoned spaces utilised for art and creative program, new festivals and the up coming Giants carnival in September

The council isn't going to change as the party balance although slightly changed is still weighted in the FF/FG crony side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

sioda wrote: »
    Ah come on your not seriously having a go at the Fire Services. Lads that do amazing work and are often feiced about by false calls. Heros each one
    in my eyes.
    I am not having a go at the Fire Service, I am having a go at the budget for the Fire Service, do you know how many full time firefighters we have?, I don't.
    I do know, the County had 77 retained part time firefighters, so where is the budget of €15 million going?.
    This is digressing from the OP's point, my point is, that our local authority seem to be incapable of delivering the most basic of services, this has nothing to do with what political party has "control" of the council, as the councilors have little or no say in the day to day running of the council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

jbkenn wrote: »
    I am not having a go at the Fire Service, I am having a go at the budget for the Fire Service, do you know how many full time firefighters we have?, I don't.
    I do know, the County had 77 retained part time firefighters, so where is the budget of €15 million going?.

The Fire/Emergency Operation Department has a staffing level of:
    • Senior Assistant Chief Fire Officer who reports to the Chief Fire Officer
    • 4 Station Officers
    • 8 Sub Station Officers
    • 43 Firefighters
    who all work on a rota basis to provide the 24 hour fire brigade service. The Fire Brigade fleet comprises of: (Limerick City)
    • 4 no. Water Tenders
    • 2 no. Aerial Appliances
    • 1 no. Emergency Tender
    • 1 no. Water Tanker
    • 1 no. Special Incident Unit
    • 2 no. 4 Wheel Drive Vehicle
    • 1 no. General Purpose Transport Van

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Why don't ye just go off and pay for rubbish collection like the rest of us and stop complaining or just pay the fee to recycle at the recycling centre.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Why don't ye just go off and pay for rubbish collection like the rest of us and stop complaining or just pay the fee to recycle at the recycling centre.

There are parts of Europe where the public are paid to recycle. You can bring empty bottles to collection centres and get a small reward for each item. People here aren't even looking for that. They just want a very basic facility that benefits the environment as a whole, rather than their pockets.

I already pay for the collection of my rubbish and I use the recycling bring centres to dump bottles I pick up outside my door often 5 to 6 a day. In europe you have separate bins for recyling. Here we don't so bottles dumped into a normal bin goes to landfill which shouldnt be allowed happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Speak for yourself :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

We don't have a car, we live near the Roxboro shopping centre and not the Recycling Centre.

We do pay for collection but my dad prefers recycling at Roxboro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

steveon wrote: »
    I already pay for the collection of my rubbish and I use the recycling bring centres to dump bottles I pick up outside my door often 5 to 6 a day. In europe you have separate bins for recyling. Here we don't so bottles dumped into a normal bin goes to landfill which shouldnt be allowed happen.

We do have seperate bins for recycling!

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »

Each lift of your recycling bins has to be paid for, no it not free like many rubbish providers claim in this country check again...it costs approx €5-8euro per lift. I remove bottles from my street and bring to the recycling centre which are recycled and should then generate revenue to fund the cost.

Why should I have to pay to dump other peoples rubbish. I am just back from Estonia where you get paid to bring bottles back to the recycling centres. There is a tax on all bottles and cans when you purchase them and you get 100% of it back on return

The result is no rubbish anywhere...already on my street there is 6 bottles in the last day alone as the council never ever sweep the road where I live as I am on a side street.

The council should not be given each newly elected councilor a free ipad this yr and instead provide basic services that we are funding now with our household charges. Also where do people walking the streets of Limerick dispose of empty bottles, into bins that go to landfill. This is not what recycling is about...and its a disgrace that should be rectified immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Mc Love wrote: »

I don't have a bin service. I never have more than one or two bins of rubbish a year for collection so it would be a complete waste of money for me. I do everything I can to avoid waste, by buying secondhand, using cloth nappies, homegrown food, butchers/greengrocers for food instead of overly packaged goods in supermarkets etc. What I can't recycle, I save up and go to the 'big bins' skips once or twice a year. I recycle way, way more than most people and not having a rubbish collection gives me the incentive to do that.

iguana wrote: »
    I don't have a bin service. I never have more than one or two bins of rubbish a year for collection so it would be a complete waste of money for me. I do everything I can to avoid waste, by buying secondhand, using cloth nappies, homegrown food, butchers/greengrocers for food instead of overly packaged goods in supermarkets etc. What I can't recycle, I save up and go to the 'big bins' skips once or twice a year. I recycle way, way more than most people and not having a rubbish collection gives me the incentive to do that.

This is exactly my point we were encouraged to recycle and were provided with a MEANS to do so, now without little warning and a ridiculous excuse the service has been pulled, it is about time we got what we expect and not what the council decide to do with no mandate to do!!! We should be encouraged to recycle not through rubbish to landfill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

I did quite like the system when I lived in Munich and every time I bought a drink (plastic bottles, glass bottles, beer etc), there was a 20c tax on top of the price, I'd collect them at my apartment and bring them back to my local supermarket and get all the money back.

A pain at times but I agreed with the idea behind it.

Plus, a lot of people (mostly homeless) went around the parks and the city streets (and bins) with their trolleys full of bottles. One very efficient way of keeping the city clean I found.

I remember seeing one guy come into the supermarket with literally hundreds of bottles, he must of made over €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

I use Mr bin man but i bring my plastics to the bottle banks because my recycling bin does be full, my rubbish bin does be empty so my plastic bottles will be going in there in future, this is going to cost Limerick city council more in the long run,

Beaver1 wrote: »
    I use Mr bin man but i bring my plastics to the bottle banks because my recycling bin does be full, my rubbish bin does be empty so my plastic bottles will be going in there in future, this is going to cost Limerick city council more in the long run,

Exactly whats going to happen....as I have already stated here, people who believe the lifting of their recycling bins for free are completely wrong, it is a backwards move by the Limerick Council that havent a bloody clue.

Advertisement