Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are the greatest (and not so great) TV shows that were un-cancelled?

• 01-07-2014 12:15am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

As a big Alison Brie Community fan Im very happy with the news in the past hour that the show will live again :pac:

It got me thinking; What are the greatest (and not so great) TV shows that were un-cancelled?

The great:

Community

Family Guy (at least for a few more years till it went downhill)

The not so great or "was one once great and should have been left as it was"

Scrubs (a great show with a horrible "comeback season")

Heroes (Im a bit sceptical about this planned mini series)

Yours?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

The 8th season of Scrubs was a vast improvement on the 7th and final NBC season.
    And season 8 has one of the best sitcom final episodes in my mind.....

I think Family guy actually got cancelled twice ;)

The Netflix "Arrested development" episodes were a real disappointment for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

"The Killing" must be the most cancelled show in history, It's been cancelled three times now, and returns for it's fourth season in a month or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Dunno if it was ever cancelled but Red Dwarf is a series that was resurrected by Dave.

Oh, forgot about Futurama and Top Gear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Jericho (and then they cancelled again) 7 episodes for season 2, really made them lose the depth/nuanced nature of the show.

Replacing Caprica with that schlock Blood and Chrome.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

The 8th season of Scrubs was a vast improvement on the 7th and final NBC season.
    And season 8 has one of the best sitcom final episodes in my mind.....

I was referring to season 9. With a username like yours you should have known that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I liked the 9th season of Scrubs, Bill Lawrence wanted to create a spinoff series but the network forced him to continue it as Scrubs, which is why most people hated it.

I've never thought of it as anything other than a new show and it was decent, Dave Franco and Jane from Happy Endings were really funny.

ScrubsfanChris was right in fairness, it was cancelled after season seven. I don't think it was cancelled after season 8, the spinoff was commissioned right away.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Doctor Who - nobody's mentioned it yet! Ran for 26 years, cancelled in 1989 and came back in 2005 and is very successful

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I was referring to season 9. With a username like yours you should have known that ;)
    Scrubs wasn't cancelled between season 8 and 9, making the "comeback" season the 8th one, which was pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Doubt I'd consider it a great show if I saw it now but I was a big fan of Punky Brewster back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

.--- . .-. .. -.-. .... ---

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Still waiting for The Unit to be un-cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

The BBC's decision to cancel The Hour when it did was inexcusable. I need closure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wasn't Friday Night Lights cancelled by NBC but DirectTV saved the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't know if was officially cancelled or was just shopped around before cancellation since it became a joint production.

I think Due South is a good example. Cancelled after season 2 which is why the later episodes didn't have the original Ray as well as other changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Still waiting for The Unit to be un-cancelled.

Yes . I used to love that show .

Scrubs wasn't cancelled between season 8 and 9, making the "comeback" season the 8th one, which was pretty good.

I thought it was cancelled after season 8 and then brought back :confused:

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I thought it was cancelled after season 8 and then brought back :confused:
    Season 7 was the last one that aired on NBC. It was cut short because of the writers strike and cancelled not long after, so they never got a chance to write an final episode even if they wanted to.

ABC picked it up for a full season (plus the 9th but we don't talk about that one :o )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

mandatory "Firefly" mention.

Arrested Development was probably the best comedy series ever until Netflix went and took a comedy's best parts and fecked them out a window. Then Jumped out that window and swanton bombed them and then gave them a peoples' elbow.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'Damages' was just about to be cancelled but, like with 'Community', Sony managed to sell it off to another network at the last minute - DirecTV. It got a fourth and fifth season and we got proper closure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Wasn't Friday Night Lights cancelled by NBC but DirectTV saved the show

Same thing happened recently with Ripper Street.

BBC axed the series but Amazon Studios have stepped in and secured its future for a third series. BBC are still involved in a reduced capacity but Amazon will air the series first.

ixoy wrote: »
    'Damages' was just about to be cancelled but, like with 'Community', Sony managed to sell it off to another network at the last minute

Sony never seem to give up on shows that have a following. Kudos Sony :)

Arrested Development.

Love that show.

Advertisement