Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a payee online from abroad

Options
  • 01-07-2014 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭

I live in the UK but I still use my 365 banking to pay various loans in Ireland but I can't seem to add a payee? Despite the fees I pay, it seems BOI can't be bothered sending me a confirmation code by text for because my phone is in the UK, which is either a dire technical failing or a terrible service for anyone not living in Ireland. So now that I won't be in Ireland and can't just stroll into a bank, what are my options? Do I now have to call up, change my address, then go back online to request a code and receive it a week later? I don't have telephone banking and no, I don't want to set it up. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Janet

Hi token101,

Thanks for the post.

Once you add a beneficiary online and select an activation code by mobile, this is generated straight away.

If you have not received the activation code you could try:
    • Try switching your phone on & off.
    • Make sure your mail box is not full.
    • Make sure you have full coverage.
    • If you are abroad make sure you have international roaming enabled.
    • If the mobile is with a foreign provider, ensure they will forward text messages sent from us to your hand set.
    • Try deleting the beneficiary and add it again.
    • Have you got an anti-virus or firewall that would block the text?
    • Make sure your phone provider allows you to receive text messages from financial institutions.
    [*]

If you try these and still don’t receive an activation code, you can send your query online through banking 365 online as it can then be investigated through your account details.

The steps are:
    -        Login and then go to
    -        Manage accounts
    -        Online service desk
    -        Ask a question and submit

If you would like to change your address here is the form.

Also, just to make you aware once you have signed up for online banking this means you have access to phone banking with your 365 pin.

I hope this helps,

Janette

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

None of these things are the issue. 

I tried to change my number to a UK number on the advice of your phone agent, but that also takes post, which will also take 5-7 working days! What a waste of time! Completely ridiculous! What exactly is the point of online banking if everything requires a postal letter? It would be quicker for me to get a flight home, walk into a branch and transfer the money that way than use your 'internet banking' system. It baffles me how Lloyds don't seem to have make me jump through these hoops every time I need to add a payee. 

I did try to use your phone banking system. When I eventually got through the adverts for foreign exchange & spoke to an operator, she basically couldn't do anything that I couldn't do myself. Also, your phone operators' practice of muting the line when I'm talking is very, very obvious & unbelievably ignorant. I wasn't sure if she's hung up at one stage it got that bad. It just compounds the entire frustration of dealing with BOI. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi token101

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with the registering the mobile process online. For security reasons, it is necessary to send a once off security code to the address on your account when first registering or alternatively amending your mobile details. 

We understand it's the postal process you are unhappy with, although once received and activated, you can set up your payees online and activate them within minutes.

At times a colleague may need to use the mute function on the phone to exclude background noise etc. Apologies for the experience, we will be sending on your feedback to our Bank of Ireland 365 Department.

If you need help with any further queries, please feel free to ask.

Thanks
    Alison

Advertisement