Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lower League Team Supporters

• 01-07-2014 2:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

New to Boards so I said I would start a new thread!

I'm sure everyone reading this is loving the World Cup as am I!

I support Grimsby Town and was just wondering if I am joined by many other supporters of little clubs :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Support my old hometown team, Gillingham FC. Happy memories of standing on the terraces as a teenager watching them crash out of the FA cup again! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭DarraghFitz98

I've never been to Grimsby yet (too young) but hope to make it over to join in the non league suffering soon! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Northampton Town, splashing the cash again pre season so relegation looms again I expect.

Just signed John Joe O'Toole described by some as an unreliable tramp version of Frank Lampard. I shall withhold judgement until I've seen him in a Cobblers shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Royal Antwerp FC :)

Not really a small club in Belgium, but 10 years of second division...

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Royal Antwerp FC :)

Not really a small club in Belgium, but 10 years of second division...

What kind of crowds do they get there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Very few people support their "local club"

Be LOI, English or anywhere else

Very few people support their "local club"

Be LOI, English or anywhere else

Northampton certainly aren't local for me now anyway. Other than park level football, there is no local club for me where I live now.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Im a coventry City fan.

As you can imagine im just generally in a constant state of worry and disspointment about my club.

Think we may be looking at a grim season this year.

aodea wrote: »
    Im a coventry City fan.

As you can imagine im just generally in a constant state of worry and disspointment about my club.

Think we may be looking at a grim season this year.

Still playing at Northampton? Just a bizarre situation.

What kind of crowds do they get there?

Around 4-5000 when things are bad, over 10.000 when the team is playing great and fighting for promotion.

RAFC+1.jpg

• Advertisement

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Around 4-5000 when things are bad, over 10.000 when the team is playing great and fighting for promotion.

RAFC+1.jpg

Think I read somewhere average attendance for league is only 2,000 odd, that's a brilliant average for Antwerp if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Still playing at Northampton? Just a bizarre situation.

yeah the owners lost a court case on monday wjhich means very unlikely we will be back in the Rioch anytime soon. I would imagine they will push forward with plans to buiolt a 10000 seater in coventry and leave a spanking new 30000 seater just empty.

Very hard to see a future that does not end with Coventry being a leauge two club very shorthly.

Think I read somewhere average attendance for league is only 2,000 odd, that's a brilliant average for Antwerp if that's the case.

A lot of teams are indeed punching well above their weight and have no significant fan base. Only us and a few more get decent crowds, not a coincidence that most of the bigger clubs are the traditionsverein in the league :)
    It also helps that we're the second biggest city in the country with a massive history.

Belgian lower league football is rife with mergers, moving teams,... out of financial gain meaning that there are teams that don't get the chance to build up links with their town.

We averaged 7000 last season, 3 other teams had somewhere between 2500 and 5500. All other teams had an average of less than 2000, with 4 of them less than 800.

Luckily next season will see more teams in the league that have a decent fan base, I hope this will do wonders for the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Derby County fan - not a 'small' club by any means (and so close to not being a lower league team :( ), but will nail my colours to the mast here anyway.

My reason for supporting them? Their crest was my favourite when I was collecting Premier League stickers as a kid :o That being said, it's no more arbitrary a reason than any other when supporting an English team in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

ghostchant wrote: »
    Derby Country fan - not a 'small' club by any means (and so close to not being a lower league team :( ), but will nail my colours to the mast here anyway.

My reason for supporting them? Their crest was my favourite when I was collecting Premier League stickers as a kid :o That being said, it's no more arbitrary a reason than any other when supporting an English team in Ireland.

My mate was over at Derby when he was 16 for 3 years about 15 years ago, never made the grade but great club, Went over a few times and were well looked after.
    Got to take penalties at Pride Park before a game once with Georgie Kinzaldaze and everytime we went, got the VIP treatment at all the games.

Other mate went to Celtic around the same time and you wouldnt even get a cup of tea for free there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

Middlesbrough fan-started following football in the mid 90's and boro had some great players at the time such as Juninho and Ravenelli. They were getting to cup finals too (but losing all of them) which made them more attractive. Been pretty mediocre in the Championship for the past few years and may be there for a few years more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

Surprised no Shels supporters replied in this thread?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Do Bohemians count? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

ghostchant wrote: »
    Derby County fan - not a 'small' club by any means (and so close to not being a lower league team :( ), but will nail my colours to the mast here anyway.

The crest also played a large part in my choosing of a team when I was younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Have an Interest in Barnet and Forest

Been over a few times in City ground, underhill and New Barnet ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That_Guy wrote: »
    Do Bohemians count? :pac:

Not a hope. Top tier giants since day one. The Big Club!

Advertisement