Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what subjects to pick for leaving cert?...

• 01-07-2014 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi I'm 17 just finished TY and I do not know what subject I should be doing...
    I'm planning on studying medicine and long story short I will be trying for the 6 year course because I wouldn't feel confident getting an A2 or above in chemistry.

I need to do English Irish Maths and a language mine being French and I will most definitely be doing Biology.

My other choices include;
    -Music ( I did 3 years of music in NS school I also set 3 music theory exams in school and I play guitar pretty well but I'm not that good at the theory even with doing the exams.
    -Home Ec (didn't do it for JC but my mother was a chef and I did Home Ec in TY and enjoyed it also it slightly links in with Biology.
    -Business (Did OL for JC but I got a B and was told I Gould have been in higher ,and I would have been only for the book keeping but there's none of that in LC.

There the 3 I'm choosing between..

My other predicament is that I would sheerly be going for points as I need 550+ to stand a chance of getting into med school...
    I was thinking of doing OL maths as it's not my strongest suit and this way I could do 8 subjects and just pass maths while focusing on the other subjects for points because I feel that I would be putting a lot of time into passing HL maths (which I didn't do at JC level) and the time+money could be spent in a better way.

In reality I need all A2s and a good Hpat to get into medicine but I that's what it takes then that's what I have to do.

Any ideas?/other suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

Music is quite easy to do well at in the Leaving Cert! 50% goes to the practical and you can play guitar. The composing part in kind of like maths, the more you practice the better you will get. The listening it just learning the notes. Music is a good subject if you have any bit of natural musicality and then your bound to do well!

I did Business at OL in the JC and got a C and did Higher for the Leaving this year and now hoping for a B1! Business is a good choice if you are just willing to sit down and write out notes and do papers for hours.
    Maybe Economics or Accountancy if you are good with numbers and maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

Music is quite easy to do well at in the Leaving Cert! 50% goes to the practical and you can play guitar. The composing part in kind of like maths, the more you practice the better you will get. The listening it just learning the notes. Music is a good subject if you have any bit of natural musicality and then your bound to do well!

I did Business at OL in the JC and got a C and did Higher for the Leaving this year and now hoping for a B1! Business is a good choice if you are just willing to sit down and write out notes and do papers for hours.
    Maybe Economics or Accountancy if you are good with numbers and maths?

Problem is I need a minimum of an A2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

No way would I recommend business if you've done OL for the JC and you hope to study medicine. Try Chemistry or Ag science maybe

xLisaBx wrote: »
    No way would I recommend business if you've done OL for the JC and you hope to study medicine. Try Chemistry or Ag science maybe
    Ag science and biology are not compatable , I couldn't use both other for points,. I would consider doing chemistry because I enjoy it but I amn't very good at the mathematical aspect...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Seanf999 wrote: »
    Ag science and biology are not compatable , I couldn't use both other for points,. I would consider doing chemistry because I enjoy it but I amn't very good at the mathematical aspect...

You can use both for points, but not necessarily both for requirements, i.e. where a college requires that you have 2 science subjects, they sometimes will not accept biology and ag science, but it doesn't stop you taking both subjects for points and having a third science (chemistry or physics).

What subjects did you do for junior cert, because you've listed off subjects that you haven't done before/ done at Ordinary Level which again seems like madness: it's one thing to take up a brand new subject for Leaving Cert, you'll have a bit of catching up to do, but to take up multiple subjects just seems like you could be creating problems for yourself given your other threads where you have done multiple ordinary level subjects for Junior Cert.

What subjects does your school offer and have the blocks already been decided?

Realistically you have to make the decision: take one science (biology in your case) and limit yourself to the colleges that accept one science for entry to medicine, or take two sciences, realistically chemistry as you pointed out the biology/ag sci combination requirements problem. I'm guessing you don't have an interest in physics.

So:

English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Biology

?????
    ?????

Also will your school allow you to take a subject you haven't done for Junior Cert? Some schools will not allow this. Taking it outside school can be done, but it creates an extra workload/ need for grinds/ cost of grinds/ possible difficulty in finding a teacher.

You could take a biology, chemistry, ag science combination if your school offers this. You've also got to consider that if you don't get into medicine and you want to go into something related to that, you need to consider the subjects required in these areas. Chemistry is usually the stumbling block more so than any other LC science subject.

• Advertisement

You can use both for points, but not necessarily both for requirements, i.e. where a college requires that you have 2 science subjects, they sometimes will not accept biology and ag science, but it doesn't stop you taking both subjects for points and having a third science (chemistry or physics).

What subjects did you do for junior cert, because you've listed off subjects that you haven't done before/ done at Ordinary Level which again seems like madness: it's one thing to take up a brand new subject for Leaving Cert, you'll have a bit of catching up to do, but to take up multiple subjects just seems like you could be creating problems for yourself given your other threads where you have done multiple ordinary level subjects for Junior Cert.

What subjects does your school offer and have the blocks already been decided?

Realistically you have to make the decision: take one science (biology in your case) and limit yourself to the colleges that accept one science for entry to medicine, or take two sciences, realistically chemistry as you pointed out the biology/ag sci combination requirements problem. I'm guessing you don't have an interest in physics.

So:

English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Biology

?????
    ?????

Also will your school allow you to take a subject you haven't done for Junior Cert? Some schools will not allow this. Taking it outside school can be done, but it creates an extra workload/ need for grinds/ cost of grinds/ possible difficulty in finding a teacher.

You could take a biology, chemistry, ag science combination if your school offers this. You've also got to consider that if you don't get into medicine and you want to go into something related to that, you need to consider the subjects required in these areas. Chemistry is usually the stumbling block more so than any other LC science subject.

Physics isn't offered for LC , my school does not mind is picking up a subject in LC,
    The ones I included are the ones I have available due to blocks (I don't have the sheet now)

I would not feel comfortable relying on myself to get an A2 in chemistry.

I have talked my parents and they think that I should consider doing 7 subjects the big three, French , biology , geography and home ec... And doing OL maths and getting the A2s in my other subjects because I would have to put all of time an effort to get a good grade in HL maths, if I did OL I could put that time to better use in my other subjects and merely pass OL maths.

My back up plan, my plan b, my second option is repeat and if that doesn't work il repeat again. I want to go into medicine because I can't see myself doing anything else, I can't see myself as a nurse or a lawyer or a bum, I can only picture myself in 20 years time wearing a white coat.. And if it takes 20 years then that's what it takes... But I will become a doctor..

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

If your choosing biology and business would you choose music too and do home economics as an extra subject yourself. It takes in biology and business.
    Not sure where your living but if in Dublin would you consider the institute for 6th year. It's very much geared towards getting your points.

niceoneted wrote: »
    If your choosing biology and business would you choose music too and do home economics as an extra subject yourself. It takes in biology and business.
    Not sure where your living but if in Dublin would you consider the institute for 6th year. It's very much geared towards getting your points.

I would be considering home ec becaue I was told it related with biology, I don't like music theory and I am not very good at it as for business I just think it may be an issue getting an A2 in it..

I am closer to Galway so Yeats would be closer to me, that being said my school is not very big or very well known but it is very good, had you asked me that in first year I would have told you the opposite but it's true if you want I work the teachers will work with you, 2 years ago one of the students who got maximum points went to my school, the year after that 3/4 of the class got 450 or above,
    Also paying for Med school would be hard enough but paying for Yeats in top would be too much to ask my parents,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

... that being said my school is not very big or very well known but it is very good, had you asked me that in first year I would have told you the opposite but it's true if you want I work the teachers will work with you, 2 years ago one of the students who got maximum points went to my school, the year after that 3/4 of the class got 450 or above,
    Also paying for Med school would be hard enough but paying for Yeats in top would be too much to ask my parents,,
    Now you're showing sense!

See, everyone assumes you have to go to the Institute or wherever!

And I do accept that some schools are better than others; some teachers more interested and enthusiastic.

But be very slow to assume that any school can't be just as bloody good as the Institute at maximising points (and a lot better in other ways) just because it doesn't have the advertising budget to blow itself up in the media.

I went to a school kinda like yours Sean; local co-ed school, didn't have a posh rep, didn't really want to have one tbh. A bunch of excellent committed teachers though, put the effort into their teaching, put the effort into sports and other extra-curricular, and every year we wiped the eye of the local "posh" school when it came to results and they tried to pretend that we didn't exist! And we left the place with good memories, and with a much broader education than just "maximising points".

And we didn't pay through the nose for it either! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

You'll need 2 sciences to even get considered for medicine so you'll have to do Biology and Chemistry?

*Actually maybe I'm wrong sorry I think some accept one but I've heard chemistry is a massive help when it comes to studying medicine, more so than the other sciences.

• Advertisement

Beca19 wrote: »
    You'll need 2 sciences to even get considered for medicine so you'll have to do Biology and Chemistry?

*Actually maybe I'm wrong sorry I think some accept one but I've heard chemistry is a massive help when it comes to studying medicine, more so than the other sciences.

Chemistry is a help but in my situation if I can't even get the points then chemistry is pointless...
    That being said I still do really like chemistry but I'm not very good at it

Chemistry is a help but in my situation if I can't even get the points then chemistry is pointless...
    That being said I still do really like chemistry but I'm not very good at it

If you get into medicine you're still going to have to do it in college. It won't get any easier.

If you get into medicine you're still going to have to do it in college. It won't get any easier.

Yes I know and I'll know il pass it but I won't be getting an A2 in it any time soon.

A2 grades aren't easy to come by in any subject.

A2 grades aren't easy to come by in any subject.

I know but I still have a better chance in other subjects, such as home ec bein my mothers a chief and I'm pretty good at remembering and understanding 'complicated words' or so there call..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I know but I still have a better chance in other subjects, such as home ec bein my mothers a chief and I'm pretty good at remembering and understanding 'complicated words' or so there call..

Have a look at the Home Ec syllabus before you decide it's an easy A2 - it's a difficult subject, with a coursework requirement that's tricky enough and time consuming, and lots of students struggle with the social studies part of the course due to the level of detail involved.
    The fact that your mother is a chef is totally irrelevant here - do you know how much actual cooking is involved in the course? Do you know that practical cooking skills aren't even examined?
    The Biology link is there, but it's not a massive part of the course, so don't feel you're going in at a significant advantage because you have an interest in Biology.
    If I were you I'd be looking at a more student-friendly subject, for example you seem to think 'I'm pretty good at remembering and understanding 'complicated words' or so there call..' so Business would seem like a better fit for you, or Geography, a fantastic subject for a student who's willing to put the work in.

dee_mc wrote: »
    Have a look at the Home Ec syllabus before you decide it's an easy A2 - it's a difficult subject, with a coursework requirement that's tricky enough and time consuming, and lots of students struggle with the social studies part of the course due to the level of detail involved.
    The fact that your mother is a chef is totally irrelevant here - do you know how much actual cooking is involved in the course? Do you know that practical cooking skills aren't even examined?
    The Biology link is there, but it's not a massive part of the course, so don't feel you're going in at a significant advantage because you have an interest in Biology.
    If I were you I'd be looking at a more student-friendly subject, for example you seem to think 'I'm pretty good at remembering and understanding 'complicated words' or so there call..' so Business would seem like a better fit for you, or Geography, a fantastic subject for a student who's willing to put the work in.

Yes I realise it is not a gaurenteed A but my teacher suggested I do Home ec, in the past it has gotten the highest grade per student in the LC

And I believe that having someone who was in that area would help, not because of she can cooking but because she knows about the 'theory' side of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Yes I realise it is not a gaurenteed A but my teacher suggested I do Home ec, in the past it has gotten the highest grade per student in the LC

And I believe that having someone who was in that area would help, not because of she can cooking but because she knows about the 'theory' side of it.

In the past few years, less than 8% of students get an A grade in Home Ec, compared to 20% of physics students, 20% of Chemistry students, 12% of Economics students, 17% of Biology students etc. That's why I'm saying it's not an easy A.
    Obviously these statistics are less important than your actual affinity to a particular subject, but if i were you I'd focus on the traditional sciences rather than attempting Home Ec 'for points', particularly if you haven't done it for Junior Cert (there's quite alot of assumed knowledge) because it genuinely is a toughie when it comes to marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

You should just pick subjects that you enjoy learning about or you think you might enjoy and the A2's will follow that. At the end of the day the work you put into the subjects will determine your results. Geography or History are good subject if you are willing to put in the time and effort to learn off the material.

Looking back I wish I took Economics as a extra subject outside of school because It is such a short course. Hindsight is a great thing I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Pamplemousse19

I hope I'm not too late but here's what my advice would be. You need to take a few things into account. The first would be to know what kind of learner you are. Some people can learn off huge amounts of information even if they find it boring. Personally, I find this very hard to do as I get very frustrated and indifferent to the subject. If you are this kind of learner, though, maybe geography or home ec would be for you (not saying these subjects are boring but they do require a lot of learning things off). Others prefer to understand everything which helps them to remember things. I did chemistry for the LC and did find it hard but it was one of my best results. I moved town in 6th year, and chemistry wasn't available in the boys school I went to so I had to take whatever classes I could in the girls school! I still managed to get an A2 in higher level though cos I liked it so much. I doubt I could have had the same enthusiasm for business, which I considered taking.
    The next thing to consider is what teachers you'll have. They'll make all the difference and a subject that you might have found very hard may become a lot easier! Most teachers alternate between higher and ordinary level from year to year so you'll probably be able to guess which ones will be teaching whichever subject. I think a big reason people go up or down grades from JC to LC is due to different teachers.
    My last point is a bit off-topic but I'd still like to make it: don't be too convinced that you're going to do medicine. I also thought I wanted to do it but am delighted I didn't now! If you're not entirely sure what to do pick something broad. Anyway, that's another while away yet. Good luck :)
    PS if you do decide to do chemistry get the chemistry Rapid Revision- it was basically my teacher for 6th year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 LC12395

I would avoid music if you need a guaranteed A. It's easy enough to get an honour because of the practical but the written papers are marked harshly, making A grades tricky to get. I got 595 points in my mocks but only got a D2 in music(without practical). Choose subjects you're genuinely interested in though. It will be much easier to do well in a subject that you enjoy learning rather than a subject you don't really like that much but just chose because it's supposedly an easy A. I believe that some sort of interest is necessary to get an A in any subject. Otherwise it'd be too difficult to stay motivated continuously putting so much effort in. I think if you are more interested in Chemistry than (for example)Economics it would be easier for you to do well in Chemistry.

Advertisement