Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Now that Currie was mentioned, WP won the Currie Cup today against the Lions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Swan Curry wrote: »
    In what seems to be a fairly odd situation,James Downey was released by Glasgow to play for a team called Currie in the Scottish regional league today - against Glasgow Hawks,who seem to be Glasgow's A team :confused:
    All of Glasgow's and Edinburgh's pro players are assigned to Scottish premiership sides In a draft every august
    before the start of the season. They all may need at times to play for an A side so wont all be part of the one premiership side http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/14/08/18/ton-boys-strengthen-links-club-game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

All of Glasgow's and Edinburgh's pro players are assigned to Scottish premiership sides In a draft every august
    before the start of the season. They all may need at times to play for an A side so wont all be part of the one premiership side http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/14/08/18/ton-boys-strengthen-links-club-game

The tactics in that draft must be fascinating. A game of predicting the best players and the ones who are likely to be released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Want to see a masterclass in finishing a try? Skip to 3:40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

If you look closely, he grabs the pitch with his free hand and pulls the tryline towards him.

who_me wrote: »
    If you look closely, he grabs the pitch with his free hand and pulls the tryline towards him.

Underrated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

That was a sensational finish tbqh, great game that was (for us anyway).

Our pack was so good, total control. The pace out of O'Connell before the 2nd try as well, what a break.

Nice little piece of play by Killian Keane before Gaillimh's try, he flung the ball back after being tackled. No support, but he threw it in the general direction of the onrushing Munster players, and didn't concede a penalty. Players should try that more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Random one but given that it's in it's first year I wonder has anyone been paying attention to the Australian National Rugby Championship? Which was set up by the Australian rugby governing body to better support the professional game over there which is to be compared to the ITM and the Currie Cup?

They have nine teams scattered around the country in the usual populated areassych as Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, Canberra, New South Wales (a couple of teams) etc. They did well and have a few sponsors onboard with one match gets shown on TV every weekend. A long way to go towards the Currie or ITM cup which you can practically watch every weekend in Sky but it's a start!

Anyway it's the final this weekend which will be contested between Perth & Brisbane. From the little I've read Brisbane are the main team bringing crowds to the event. The other week they got 13,000 however one of the semi-finals against a Sydney team (in Sydney) it got 500! I'm actually surprised the Sydney teams where I thought Union was stronger haven't brought more to this competition. They've also made some rule changes which look really interesting and I wonder how they got on in practice? From what I heard the SRU are really looking into this type of semi-pro league and if it's successful adopt it there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think its remotely comparable to something the SRU could bring in. There is no level of professional rugby below S15 in Australia so it's really more like a Pro12 competition (not a perfect comparison...).

Anyway, I haven't been following it but they brought in a similar competition a few years ago and it only lasted one season. Hopefully the resolve is slightly stronger this time.

• Advertisement

The SRU muted a semi-pro set up for a couple of clubs but the clubs were against it I believe obviously more to it than this sorry I'm getting a little off the point.

Given the limited player rescoures in Australia I hope a league like this backs up the super rugby clubs and promotes the game further in the country.

They have got a fair few major sponsors on three year deals so don't think it'll be a flash in the pan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

however one of the semi-finals against a Sydney team (in Sydney) it got 500! I'm actually surprised the Sydney teams where I thought Union was stronger haven't brought more to this competition.

NSW is over saturated with Professional sports teams and Union isn't that popular. So trying to get people interested in a semi Pro team just isn't going to happen.

The ITM cup had to change to semi-professional recently as the economic climate just wasn't there to sustain it and that is in a country that loves rugby so it will have a hard time to remain viable in Oz especially with teams having bigger travelling costs but probably less income when compared to the ITM and Currie cups

Chris Farrell signs a new contract until 2017 with Grenoble: http://fcgrugby.com/index.php/a-la-une/5844-chris-farrell-prolonge-avec-le-fcg#.VFEOfPKvmHs

In the last year of the deal he will move up to a full contract, he's currently on an espoirs (academy/development) contract. He had arrived in the summer on a one year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

NSW is over saturated with Professional sports teams and Union isn't that popular. So trying to get people interested in a semi Pro team just isn't going to happen.

The ITM cup had to change to semi-professional recently as the economic climate just wasn't there to sustain it and that is in a country that loves rugby so it will have a hard time to remain viable in Oz especially with teams having bigger travelling costs but probably less income when compared to the ITM and Currie cups

Super XV and ITM are loss-making. The ABs are the only thing in the black for the NZRU.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Chris Farrell signs a new contract until 2017 with Grenoble: http://fcgrugby.com/index.php/a-la-une/5844-chris-farrell-prolonge-avec-le-fcg#.VFEOfPKvmHs

In the last year of the deal he will move up to a full contract, he's currently on an espoirs (academy/development) contract. He had arrived in the summer on a one year deal.

As I said in the Ulster thread, Foley (or to a lesser extent MOC) should have been on the phone to him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Racing have released Lydiate.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9540855,00.html

He'll leave after the November Internationals.

Considering he's in the Wales squad for those games I'm not sure exactly when he'll leave them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Racing have released Lydiate.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9540855,00.html

He'll leave after the November Internationals.

Considering he's in the Wales squad for those games I'm not sure exactly when he'll leave them.

Presumably he'll go off for the Wales games and not come back. It will be very interesting to see which region he joins.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Eat My Point

I presume if the WRU are paying his wages they'll want to be getting the most out of him i.e. Champions Cup so it'll be Ospreys or Scarlets?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

I presume if the WRU are paying his wages they'll want to be getting the most out of him i.e. Champions Cup so it'll be Ospreys or Scarlets?

Will he be able to play in Europe, was he registered for Racing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

That is surely embarrassing for everyone involved. Lion dropped by a club.

errlloyd wrote: »

I think he arrived with an injury and never got going at all. It's very like Gethin Jenkins at Toulon. I'm sure Racing are delighted to get a massively overpaid squad player off the books.

• Advertisement

Not the first Welsh Lion to be dropped from his club!

gavin_henson_lions_1879055i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

errlloyd wrote: »

Apparently he requested to leave. Although whether that was to allow him to save face I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

b.gud wrote: »
    Will he be able to play in Europe, was he registered for Racing?

Registered but never played so he is free to play for someone else.

Ulster could use him... just saying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm fairly sure he won't be allowed to register for Europe with his new team unless they make the QF's.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is he a 6 or a 7?

awec wrote: »
    Is he a 6 or a 7?

6 primarily anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

awec wrote: »
    Is he a 6 or a 7?

6 iirc. Great player at tackling behind the gain line but not a fantastic carrier or groundhog.

I see this hasn't been pick up upon

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/11196170/England-games-to-remain-on-Sky-Sports-after-RFU-awards-30m-deal.html

Sky Sports have bagged England rights (outside of six nations) for the next few years worth £40 million in all. Interesting to note the RFU didnt even get into a bidding fight with BT Sport. I'm somewhat surprised about that..

I believe they're going to show Saxon, women's and at least 11 championship matches per season too. Seems like a good deal for the RFU, the last deal was worth £18 million so this is a massive jump up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Not the first Welsh Lion to be dropped from his club!

gavin_henson_lions_1879055i.jpg

To be fair, he was probably dropped on his head at birth as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/29842513

Northampton flanker Calum Clark says he has tamed his "inner chimp"...

"The inner chimp was pretty aggressive, he was unwilling to listen and unwilling to learn," Clark, 25, said.

I've never been a fan of Clarke. I've said as much on boards previously before.
    But I guess I can't wish bad fortunes on people all the time and I hope for his sake he becomes known in the future for his rugby rather than the scumbag things he's done in the past.

Bath 47-7 London Welsh

next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Sarries hammering Quins in the LV Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Game back on now though.

[edit] Oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

TMO tells the ref he thinks it not a yellow (rightly), ref says **** off, and gives a yellow. Stupid decision. Both players were in the air, but the Quins player tried to bring the guy down safely, didn't turn him past horizontal. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Great to see Juan Figallo make his comeback today in the LV Cup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Buer wrote: »
    Great to see Juan Figallo make his comeback today in the LV Cup!

Which begs the Q please Mr Buer: how did he go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Some of the South Africa squad were just down in Gleesons having a few pints. They're training all week down in Stradbrook apparently.

Hagz wrote: »
    Some of the South Africa squad were just down in Gleesons having a few pints. They're training all week down in Stradbrook apparently.

Having a few pints? Bet it wasn't anything too heavy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Having a few pints? Bet it wasn't anything too heavy!

See for yourself

B1db1-3CQAAoJCd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

The Stradbrook 16? :eek:

Ian McKinley started at 10 for Viadana in the Italian championship over the weekend.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hope vermullen gets a dodgy pint

phog wrote: »
    See for yourself

B1db1-3CQAAoJCd.jpg

Great pic fair play!

LW appoint a defence coach. If he can improve things he should be given the freedom of Oxford!

• Advertisement

LW appoint a defence coach. If he can improve things he should be given the freedom of Oxford!

Couple of extra players on the pitch in invisibility cloaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

postitnote wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/29842513

Northampton flanker Calum Clark says he has tamed his "inner chimp"...

"The inner chimp was pretty aggressive, he was unwilling to listen and unwilling to learn," Clark, 25, said.

I've never been a fan of Clarke. I've said as much on boards previously before.
    But I guess I can't wish bad fortunes on people all the time and I hope for his sake he becomes known in the future for his rugby rather than the scumbag things he's done in the past.

i really think Clark should have gotten a full ban from rugby for what he did. I put his actions in a different category to stamping or a wild punch thrown in the heat of the moment, putting someone in an arm lock and applying pressure until it breaks is appalling and it really bothers me when i hear Saints fans that I know talk about what a good bloke he is. At the end of the day you have to ask yourself "is that something that I could ever see myself doing?". He's a bad 'un and shouldn't be involved in the game, let alone be getting capped.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I will never be able to separate that incident from him no matter what he goes on to achieve. It was the single most grotesque and violent incident I've seen on a pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Here's a video of Calum Clark breaking Rob Hawkins' arm......shocking stuff.

He's also had a Heaslip-esque meltdown previously. (the yellow). And then loses it again for the red.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement