Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

molloyjh wrote: »
    It's just another move to wrestle control of the game from the Unions. Someone needs to put these guys back in their boxes. It's getting really tiresome.

"these guys"

Nigel Wray is not PRL. He's certainly not representative of "these guys." People seem to miss that point quite often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Didn't the Super 12 do something similar when it started? That the refs were asked to be lenient on forward passes and other technical infringements to let the game flow more and be more entertaining?

Open to correction on that now.

Maybe I phrased my post wrong. The IRB do it all the time, giving directives to the refs to allow for more of a flow in the game. Sure, the ELVS thing says it all really. But if we're allowing clubs to buy refs to basically tailor games for their own purpose then it becomes a step too far IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

"these guys"

Nigel Wray is not PRL. He's certainly not representative of "these guys." People seem to miss that point quite often.

I'm terribly sorry that I was so hard on the PRL.....

...oh wait, I didn't even mention the PRL at all. So how did you know I was talking about them? Ah, you must have assumed that I was.

I was actually referring to people like Wray and Boudjellal. People who come in with shed loads of cash and think they've somehow earned the right to start dictating to others how the game should be run. I know I wasn't clear on that in my post, but still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'm terribly sorry that I was so hard on the PRL.....

...oh wait, I didn't even mention the PRL at all. So how did you know I was talking about them? Ah, you must have assumed that I was.

I was actually referring to people like Wray and Boudjellal. People who come in with shed loads of cash and think they've somehow earned the right to start dictating to others how the game should be run. I know I wasn't clear on that in my post, but still...

Ah right, yeah fair enough. Those guys are nutters though who don't really end up getting their way most of the time on anything that matters,s so I don't really see the problem. They're only really mentioned so much because they love seeing their quotes in the media. If someone like McCafferty says something it's worth discussing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If anything we should be arriving towards more consistency in refereeing not less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Didn't the Super 12 do something similar when it started? That the refs were asked to be lenient on forward passes and other technical infringements to let the game flow more and be more entertaining?

Open to correction on that now.

You're half right. The refs were directed/encouraged to ensure the game flowed. One of the things that was highlighted to them was related to how a pass can appear forward due to the momentum of the passer (please refer to that thread that covered this in detail). I believe this came about due to a big focus on it in the NRL.
    The refs were also instructed to be strict about and use yellow cards on players sealing off the breakdowns, slowing the ball, tacklers not rolling away etc. All with the aim of speeding the game up. I think another one was for them to get the ball out of scrums quicker, less resets, penalise or free-kick collapses, standing up etc.
    I can't remember all the details (long time ago) but there was "encouragement" to make the game entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

What an amazing match winning try for Sale. The guts of Cipriani to try this at 54 seconds in this video, 68 minutes in the match:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDFGrdfTKfE&list=PL10-iuZDt9bSe8pVcCVJUI5va-XUiHSzn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭phog

From Twitter
    Super Rugby (@SuperRugby) tweeted at 10:51 PM on Tue, Dec 02, 2014:
    Toulon have accepted the challenge to play the Sharks in a pre-season #SuperRugby friendly http://t.co/AdQ8X0BYos http://t.co/OtfL6Dbf9H

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9591680,00.html

Exeter Chiefs have announced that fly-half Gareth Steenson has signed a new three-year contract with the Premiership club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

ssaye2 wrote: »

Exeter Chiefs have announced that fly-half Gareth Steenson has signed a new three-year contract with the Premiership club.
    Quelle surprise....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Nigel Wray believes Premiership referees should be employed by the competition's clubs, rather than the Rugby Football Union.
    "The club game needs to employ its own referees," Wray told BBC Sport.
    "Their decisions influence the game enormously. We need to tell them the sort of game we want played - which has to be attractive to the customer."
    Wray says he is not questioning the quality of the RFU's referees but believes the same officials, employed by the Premiership's 12 clubs, would be able to help deliver a more appealing product.

"At the end of the day, we're in the entertainment business. We're trying to get the audience who have not yet come - if they don't have a clue about any of the decisions, how are we going to persuade them to watch?"

"They can be the same referees, but we need to employ them," Wray said.
    "During the week the referees could go into schools, teach, encourage other referees and become full pros."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/30196682

Thoughts on this? No thanks. Some referee's who are pro's are employed by their unions, Peter Fitzgibbon etc but totally disagree on clubs employing the referees

Surely just let them. They'll get the shock of their lives when after playing with 'entertainment rules ' for a few weeks they suddenly have to revert to 'normal refs ' for European games.

ssaye2 wrote: »

Fair play to him. I actually think if he was playing in Ireland he'd be getting caps though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Glasgow have signed up Strauss and Nakarawa until 2017. That's brilliant news as I'm sure there were offers for both from elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Glasgow have signed up Strauss and Nakarawa until 2017. That's brilliant news as I'm sure there were offers for both from elsewhere.

Great news for the league. Nakawara especially would be a hit anywhere.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Great news for the league. Nakawara especially would be a hit anywhere.

I wouldn't have minded Nakarawa arriving at Munster once POC and DOC are gone. You could probably put him in the back row as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

.ak wrote: »
    Fair play to him. I actually think if he was playing in Ireland he'd be getting caps though.

He is probably at a similar level to Madigan, Jackson and Keatley, different attributes to Madigan admittedly. He would definitely be starting for Connacht if he came back, actually on his day he could be starting for any of the provinces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Watching Steenson now. Very solid. Exeter play a great offloading game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Very impressive from Exeter considering this is largely their second team.

Good game to watch to be honest.

3 Irish lads at Exeter all playing well.

Castrogiovanni isn't a fan of Cockerill

http://balls.ie/rugby/castrogiovanni-storms-leicester-press-conference-deliver-sensational-quotes/
    Quote of the year from Martin Castrogiovanni on Richard Cockerill: “I don’t hate anyone. Peace and love. I just don’t like *****.”

• Advertisement

Seems legit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That puts Strauss into contention for a Scottish cap too, poor ol Denton's days are numbered at 8 for them I reckon.

Funny but not exactly SFW!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭croket

for those who are interested, there are squads of the 3 main leagues of Eastern Europe

Romanian Super Liga, full professional since 2011, most of players from Romania national team are playing in Super Liga, also each team have approx. 10 foreign players.
    http://estxv.blogspot.fr/p/blog-page_9.html

Russian Professional Rugby League, also full professional, but 2 teams, Enisey-STM and Krasny Yar (both from Krasnoyarsk) had impressive squad in comparaison of others teams. VVA Saracens, the team from Yuri Gagarin Air Force Academy, who is a partner of Saracens since last year, is the other team from the big 3. All players from Russia national team (apart Ostrikov and Kulemin) are from PRL
    http://estxv.blogspot.fr/p/prl-russie.html

Georgian Liga Umaghlesi, mostly amateur teams, some players from the national team (most of the national team plays in France), some very rare foreigner, south african lock Nieuwenhuizen and georgians capped for neighboring countries. There are also georgians back to Georgia after playing in France, England, Russia or Romania
    http://estxv.blogspot.fr/p/umaghlesi-georgie.html

I've never seen this video before. Class.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=630015500442228

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

:mad:It was on tv in NZ. Then Umaga & Mealamu did what they did

Yeah makes you wonder how well he would've played.

But that looks class, gonna try and get the lads to do it at training.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It was a pretty big campaign in advance of the 2005 tour. The shortened version was on Sky regularly. Adidas were all over that tour. I think it's the only professional our to date where the same company has been supplier to both the Lions and the hosts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Why did he tackle Stephen Jones first!

I love the concept of that ad, but I think they could have done a much better job shooting it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I've never seen this video before. Class.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=630015500442228

thats "bulldog" ....

use it with the u7s every saturday morning ;) great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Loved that ad. Wonder how much of it was scripted and how much was a real game of bullrush. Loved it when Richie misses the tackle on Kelleher, looks all pissed off, then smashes him the next time.

Loved bullrush. So many schools in NZ banned it because of injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Loved that ad. Wonder how much of it was scripted and how much was a real game of bullrush. Loved it when Richie misses the tackle on Kelleher, looks all pissed off, then smashes him the next time.

Loved bullrush. So many schools in NZ banned it because of injuries.

Ah bull rush. Classic "playtime" entertainment in nz. Along with force 'm back, touch rugby, even league we'd play at school. Those were the days (tear in eye)

We used to play a game with a tennis ball where whoever had the tennis ball would get murdered by everyone else. People formed impromptu teams made of a few people so they could throw it. It made no sense.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Ah bull rush. Classic "playtime" entertainment in nz. Along with force 'm back, touch rugby, even league we'd play at school. Those were the days (tear in eye)

On DNS we had a simpler version called "Catch and Bash".

The rules are self explanatory but, for the less gifted, someone shouted a name and everyone ran after that person. When they caught him they proceeded to beat seven shades of ****e out of him.

Good times. Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

We used to play a game with a tennis ball where whoever had the tennis ball would get murdered by everyone else. People formed impromptu teams made of a few people so they could throw it. It made no sense.

ah Murder ball and first year hazing in Secondary school by the 6th years.

• Advertisement

http://balls.ie/rugby/161745-new-zealand-try-of-the-year/

fekitoa wins NZs try of the year.... doing it all by himself ;)

edit: DONT WATCH #9 !!!!

sydthebeat wrote: »
    http://balls.ie/rugby/161745-new-zealand-try-of-the-year/

fekitoa wins NZs try of the year.... doing it all by himself ;)

edit: DONT WATCH #9 !!!!

Ah yeah, that was a great try! Watching that game live I just about shot my load so as to speak. I liked the Anscombe try too, that was an incredible comeback win (or ?draw) by the Chiefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

But that looks class, gonna try and get the lads to do it at training.

This was part an parcel of training where I went to school. To be honest, if it was a legitimate sport I'd be tempted to play it instead of rugby. It's extremely enjoyable, plus I think it provides genuine insight to coaches.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Ah yeah, that was a great try! Watching that game live I just about shot my load so as to speak. I liked the Anscombe try too, that was an incredible comeback win (or ?draw) by the Chiefs.

i still am not over how the highlanders crusaders game finished up ;)

barretts try, what game was that from, i dont remember it?

edit: found it, it was the home game v the 'canes

Hagz wrote: »
    This was part an parcel of training where I went to school. To be honest, if it was a legitimate sport I'd be tempted to play it instead of rugby. It's extremely enjoyable, plus I think it provides genuine insight to coaches.

I remember doing something similar, but more in a broken field setting. Never standing on a line facing each other like that. Looks like great craic.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i still am not over how the highlanders crusaders game finished up ;)

barretts try, what game was that from, i dont remember it?

edit: found it, it was the home game v the 'canes

Malakai+Fekitoa+Caroline+McNaught+Steinlager+I66GN1tTGkql.jpg

Good to see Malakai scoring off the field too.

Which one of them is wearing more make up?!

Buer wrote: »
    Which one of them is wearing more make up?!

Nah Buer, that was Ma'a Nonu...

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Question for Off The Ball listeners:

Does Keith Wood use any adverbs other than 'incredibly' or 'unbelievably'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Question for Off The Ball listeners:

Does Keith Wood use any adverbs other than 'incredibly' or 'unbelievably'?

Question two .. are any of the panellists capable of answering a question without prefixing it with "Absolutely ...... :confused:

Eh.....

42261.jpg

Eh.....

42261.jpg

Matt Giteau to sign for another team as a Christmas present? Fingers crossed Munster. :cool:

Matt Giteau to sign for another team as a Christmas present? Fingers crossed Munster. :cool:

You'd never be allowed to use the ladyboy phrase again if that's the case! ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's quite a creepy photo, it's as if a domineering mother/aunt has made them do it as they'll look adorable!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

CatFromHue wrote: »
    That's quite a creepy photo, it's as if a domineering mother/aunt has made them do it as they'll look adorable!

I believe his name is Mourad

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement