Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Question for Off The Ball listeners:

Does Keith Wood use any adverbs other than 'incredibly' or 'unbelievably'?

When Gerry's in its as if you can throw a blanket over them. Its like broadcasting with your big brother,her has that much of an effect of the team.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

sydthebeat wrote: »
    thats "bulldog" ....

use it with the u7s every saturday morning ;) great craic

"Epervier" here. Likewise used with the smallies and regrettably discontinued after u-12s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Re the Adidas ad

If I ever got the chance to ask BOD one question and one question only, it would be who got tackled first at the end and lost?

We use to play that at school during study breaks. Got banned because it was everyone from 3rd year to 6th year playing and they there was one too many broken arms! Loved it though, particularly if there was someone annoying you at the time you could single them out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

"Epervier" here. Likewise used with the smallies and regrettably discontinued after u-12s.

Well that's my french word of the day done & dusted. Cheers pickarooney!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭badknees

Just having an idle thought.Does anyone else think that Rugby League techniques are creeping into Union more and more? The choke tackle when you look at it is a league tackle ie tackle up high and then prevent the attacker going forward and passing the ball .Then you have a tackled player instead of going for the traditional Union offload going to ground,and a scrum half then passing the ball to a player who then repeats and repeats etc.Mauls Rucks and Scrums could become very dated in a few years.Just a thought mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

The choke tackle is a league technique in one sense, but without the maul it would be useless. The quick offload/recycling method is something I've noticed alright, particularly with the Aussies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

badknees wrote: »
    Just having an idle thought.Does anyone else think that Rugby League techniques are creeping into Union more and more? The choke tackle when you look at it is a league tackle ie tackle up high and then prevent the attacker going forward and passing the ball .Then you have a tackled player instead of going for the traditional Union offload going to ground,and a scrum half then passing the ball to a player who then repeats and repeats etc.Mauls Rucks and Scrums could become very dated in a few years.Just a thought mind you.
    There has been a good bit of influence from Rugby League on Union in recent years. Look at backgrounds of quite a few defence coaches. Many have played and/or coached league at some stage.
    Choke Tackle is quite similar to in league but I totally disagree with you on saying rucks/mauls/scrums becoming out dated. How do you think that? In what ways will they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭badknees

One has only to,look at the recent laws re the scrum you know the one about the 'hit' look at the maul which not too long was being allowed to be pulled to the ground.ultimately one could argue that these influences are just passing fancies but I think that there is a slippery slope approaching.Our game is being driven by a bunch of chubes who want to see a watered down version of our game .BT sport is a good example of this.I don't know if you watched the Bath vMontpellier game but the whole commentary seemed to be about a rugby league player who was terrible.He no doubt is the future of rugby,and on that note I will leave you with this little thought,when the rich club owners decide that the game needs changing then it will be changed,rucks and mauls will be at the whim of some rich chube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

One has only to,look at the recent laws re the scrum you know the one about the 'hit' look at the maul which not too long was being allowed to be pulled to the ground.ultimately one could argue that these influences are just passing fancies but I think that there is a slippery slope approaching.Our game is being driven by a bunch of chubes who want to see a watered down version of our game .BT sport is a good example of this.I don't know if you watched the Bath vMontpellier game but the whole commentary seemed to be about a rugby league player who was terrible.He no doubt is the future of rugby,and on that note I will leave you with this little thought,when the rich club owners decide that the game needs changing then it will be changed,rucks and mauls will be at the whim of some rich chube.
    That is nonsense. I did watch the Barf game on BT and yes how they were going on about Burgess was ridiculous but your overall point is nonsense.
    The laws changes have helped the game. The maul was only allowed to be pulled down for one season and that was it. IRB sensibly saw it as foolish for that to continue. What slippery slope are we approaching?
    Who are all these fools running the game? The rich guys you are on about will not be let and just will not dictate what goes on in terms of the laws of the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

No. They're not league techniques at all. And pick and go has been around for decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Piliger wrote: »
    No. They're not league techniques at all. And pick and go has been around for decades.

Well the choke tackle was introduced to the Irish setup by a League coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

^^^ jeez that's unfortunate, not a clue where he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Loved that ad. Wonder how much of it was scripted and how much was a real game of bullrush. Loved it when Richie misses the tackle on Kelleher, looks all pissed off, then smashes him the next time.

Loved bullrush. So many schools in NZ banned it because of injuries.

Kelleher did set him up though he told mccaw he'd take the tackle one side and skipped to the other, in the retake he got nailed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Wonder was it planned. Big fight going on between Port Elizabeth and Cape Town to host the 7's from 2016. Couldve been someone wanted to show security at Nelson Mandela Bay stadium isnt up to standard.

Or could just be an idiot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It says the invader tackled him and the US had the ball!

Should have kicked him harder if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Hagz wrote: »

I'd say the person directing the feed will have quite a grilling to face for not cutting the audio feed for so long a time.

Poor chap, hope it's a swift and full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

Morf wrote: »
    I'd say the person directing the feed will have quite a grilling to face for not cutting the audio feed for so long a time.

Poor chap, hope it's a swift and full recovery.

Read somewhere that he later tweeted that he was fine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Seemingly Declan Kidney might be interested in replacing Brian Smith at London Irish at the end of the season.
    A reports in The Rugby Paper says Smith is going to return to Australia leaving London Irish to look for a new head honcho. Former Ireland coach Declan Kidney is favourite to replace Smith with the Exiles also reportedly looking at Chiefs assistant coach Tom Coventry's CV.

http://www.espnscrum.com/premiership-2014-15/rugby/story/250897.html#r5HZDH1p9h1QLiXj.99

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

b.gud wrote: »

I'd be hoping some schools coaches took note of that, exactly the type of thing you see in cup rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Seemingly Declan Kidney might be interested in replacing Brian Smith at London Irish at the end of the season.

http://www.espnscrum.com/premiership-2014-15/rugby/story/250897.html#r5HZDH1p9h1QLiXj.99

That'd be a really surprising move. DK always struck me as an absolute home bird. He's 56 next year and, aside from literally a few months with the Dragons, has never worked outside of Ireland.

I think he could be swayed by the bright lights of London.....

It'd certainly be nicer than Brigend or Pontypridd anyway!

ESPN reporting that Racing are expected to confirm the arrival of Dan Carter next week ahead of next season.

Wouldn't think it's a great move. He's nearly always injured, will cost outrageous money and will be 33. They'd be better off working with what they have and trying to bring in a top class 12 instead of the waste of space that is Jamie Roberts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Buer wrote: »
    ESPN reporting that Racing are expected to confirm the arrival of Dan Carter next week ahead of next season.

Wouldn't think it's a great move. He's nearly always injured, will cost outrageous money and will be 33. They'd be better off working with what they have and trying to bring in a top class 12 instead of the waste of space that is Jamie Roberts.

He'll sell them tickets and merch tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Love to play against him in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Wanted try make a Inter-Pro Table but having alot of trouble with how to code it :(
    Could someone who knows what they are doing be able fixer up for me please.. all the data is in there

figured out what I was doing wrong, here we go:
    Team|P|W|D|L|PF|PA|Diff|TF|TA|TBP|LBP|Pts
    Munster|2|2|0|0|55|43|12|5|3|0|0|8
    Connacht|1|1|0|0|10|9|1|1|0|0|0|4
    Ulster|1|0|0|1|20|21|-1|1|2|0|1|1
    Leinster|2|0|0|2|32|44|-12|2|4|0|1|1

He did well when he was at Perpignan anyway........

Wasps score first try after 3 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »

Commerical sense? Yes. Rugby sense? No.

Racing will have Remi Tales and Johan Goosen who are both good 10s. Goosen can cover fullback but Brice Dulin is the starter there.

Commerical sense? Yes. Rugby sense? No.

Racing will have Remi Tales and Johan Goosen who are both good 10s. Goosen can cover fullback but Brice Dulin is the starter there.

Yeah he can sell his salary's worth in underwear and calendars. Otherwise I agree with Buer. I'll be happy if he survives this SXV season unscathed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Long may Racing continue to sign big name players who won't live up to expectations. Otherwise we could have another Toulon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Tbh, you'd think they'd learn Leinster's lesson, you can't replace Jonny Sexton with overrated Kiwi Journeymen. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 scouserT

According to one bio I read (possibly Trevor Brennan's) Carter was virtually boarding an aircraft destined to play for Saint Mary's college in the AIL when he had finished, only to be offered contract in his home country.

How different things could have been.

A case of Sliding Doors (the movie).

• Registered Users Posts: 15 scouserT

According to one bio I read (possibly Trevor Brennan's) Carter was virtually boarding an aircraft destined to play for Saint Mary's college in the AIL when he had finished school, only to be offered contract in his home country at last minute.

How different things could have been.

A case of Sliding Doors (the movie).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

wprathead wrote: »
    Wanted try make a Inter-Pro Table but having alot of trouble with how to code it :(
    Could someone who knows what they are doing be able fixer up for me please.. all the data is in there

figured out what I was doing wrong, here we go:
    Munster|2|2|0|0|55|43|12|5|3|0|0|8
    Connacht|1|1|0|0|10|9|1|1|0|0|0|4
    Ulster|1|0|0|1|20|21|-1|1|2|0|1|1
    Leinster|2|0|0|2|32|44|-12|2|4|0|1|1

For interest's sake, here is how the interpros table would have looked at the end of season (regular league games only).

Leinster|6|5|0|1|110|84|26|5|4|0|1|21
    Ulster|6|4|0|2|150|96|54|14|10|1|1|18
    Munster|6|3|0|3|127|124|3|11|8|1|2|15
    Connacht|6|0|0|6|79|162|-83|9|17|0|2|2

So Leinster won the interpros last year, winning 5/6 games, only scoring 5 tries. That is an impressive stats... I mean they only conceded 4 and only conceding an average of 14 points a game is very good.

Connacht didn't even win one game last year, I actually didn't realise that... Ulster gave them an awful hammering. Ulster lost to Leinster twice, won the rest. (Still have nightmares about their 2 wins over Munster)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Kidney is only in his mid 50's (55 to be exact) so there could be interest from him on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

This is Rugby Transferts' summary of transfers in France: http://www.rugby-transferts.com/top-14/tableau-transferts-rugby-top-14.html

Not many confirmed moves yet which is why there are so many moves marked as possible. Most of the possible moves won't happen but it's interesting to imagine nonetheless. The whole world is being linked with Toulon! :pac:

This is Rugby Transferts' summary of transfers in France: http://www.rugby-transferts.com/top-14/tableau-transferts-rugby-top-14.html

Not many confirmed moves yet which is why there are so many moves marked as possible. Most of the possible moves won't happen but it's interesting to imagine nonetheless. The whole world is being linked with Toulon! :pac:

Hmmm. Carter maybe, Faumuina came out say not going anywhere at this stage. Nonu maybe. Ben Smith signed until 2017 I think, no way he's going anywhere. Retallick has hardly got going, I'd say he's got Lions 2017 as a minimum in his sights (and I think he has contract until 2017). Tameifuna may well side with Tonga and move. Conrad Smith has publicly stated he wants to stay in NZ I think, he has a career in law ahead of him.

NZRFU has done extraordinarily well IMO to keep ABs in NZ, last remotely big loss was Rene Ranger, even then he was fringe, and even then he had serious second thoughts...but had signed on the line, and NZRFU wasn't going to buy him out.

If I had to put money on 1 player moving it would be Nonu or Tameifuna.

Toulon basically linked with each and every international player in the SH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Toulon basically linked with each and every international player in the SH.

We may be seeing the beginning of the end of successful sub-international rugby in the celtic countries of these islands and the prevention of it developing in the rest of Europe outside France.

If nothing is done by the IRB to stop the uncontrolled spending in France and England, then this trend will continue to get worse and worse.

In other news, Hansen has been re-appointed through to 2017. I agree with this

1) Can't fault his record
    2) RWC isn't be all and end all. Only need the combination of untimely injuries, an inspired opposition, and a few dodgy ref calls, and you can be out of the tournament. Doesn't make the coach or team poor overnight.
    3) Hansen v Schmidt 2017: it's still on!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Swiwi. wrote: »
    2) RWC isn't be all and end all. Only need the combination of untimely injuries, an inspired opposition, and a few dodgy ref calls, and you can be out of the tournament. Doesn't make the coach or team poor overnight.

Getting the excuses in early I see Swiwi. Sure we have to beat you at some stage and we may as well do in the RWC final. If a few refereeing decisions go our way so be it... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

In other news, Hansen has been re-appointed through to 2017. I agree with this

1) Can't fault his record
    3) Hansen v Schmidt 2017: it's still on!

Hmm, isn't that when Schmidt's contract ends?

Hmm, isn't that when Schmidt's contract ends?

I think he's referring to the Lions tour. Schmidt will have imploded by then and we will be demanding his head :pac:

molloyjh wrote: »
    Getting the excuses in early I see Swiwi. Sure we have to beat you at some stage and we may as well do in the RWC final. If a few refereeing decisions go our way so be it... :D

He he. Only being realistic actually. The RWC is a lottery to a certain extent: teams can do all they want, but Sexton gets injured, Argentina play a blinder, a video ref rules out a marginal Irish try, and there is a dodgy YC decision...and you could be heading home. You can only control so much.

Or a few of these to win it!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Hmmm. Carter maybe, Faumuina came out say not going anywhere at this stage. Nonu maybe. Ben Smith signed until 2017 I think, no way he's going anywhere. Retallick has hardly got going, I'd say he's got Lions 2017 as a minimum in his sights (and I think he has contract until 2017). Tameifuna may well side with Tonga and move. Conrad Smith has publicly stated he wants to stay in NZ I think, he has a career in law ahead of him.

NZRFU has done extraordinarily well IMO to keep ABs in NZ, last remotely big loss was Rene Ranger, even then he was fringe, and even then he had serious second thoughts...but had signed on the line, and NZRFU wasn't going to buy him out.

If I had to put money on 1 player moving it would be Nonu or Tameifuna.

Didn't they say on "Against the Head" a few weeks ago that it was confirmed that Nonu was going to Toulon after the WC? Contract supposedly signed etc?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement