Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Didn't they say on "Against the Head" a few weeks ago that it was confirmed that Nonu was going to Toulon after the WC? Contract supposedly signed etc?

Have heard no official confirmation, but the NZRFU is due any day to announce a whole host of signings and departures now that Hansen is locked in.

Woodcock, Mealamu, McCaw, (Kaino), Carter, Nonu, (Conrad Smith), (Cory Jane) will all be retiring or moving on I'd imagine. Dagg I'm not sure, depends how keen he is to fight to keep his 15 shirt for the Lions.

Edit: and that will free up some serious coin to throw the way of the new indispensables: Aaron Smith, Kieran Read, Brodie Retallick etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Have heard no official confirmation, but the NZRFU is due any day to announce a whole host of signings and departures now that Hansen is locked in.

Woodcock, Mealamu, McCaw, (Kaino), Carter, Nonu, (Conrad Smith), (Cory Jane) will all be retiring or moving on I'd imagine. Dagg I'm not sure, depends how keen he is to fight to keep his 15 shirt for the Lions.

Well Mealamu has to be retiring. Surely. I could see Smith, Woodcock and Kaino sticking around for the Lions. 33, 33 and 31 respectively. Both Smith and Woodcock have strong local ties as a lawyer and a farmer so the desire to head off for a payday might not be there. Kaino has done a stint overseas and may not want to move the family again.

Jane and Carter will probably decide to cash in especially as their AB places are no longer guaranteed. McCaw and Dagg, I'm 50/50 about.

Nonu, I'm 100% certain will go. Also Tameafuna will leave as I think he is on the outer with the AB selectors.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Well Mealamu has to be retiring. Surely. I could see Smith, Woodcock and Kaino sticking around for the Lions. 33, 33 and 31 respectively. Both Smith and Woodcock have strong local ties as a lawyer and a farmer so the desire to head off for a payday might not be there. Kaino has done a stint overseas and may not want to move the family again.

Jane and Carter will probably decide to cash in especially as their AB places are no longer guaranteed. McCaw and Dagg, I'm 50/50 about.

Nonu, I'm 100% certain will go. Also Tameafuna will leave as I think he is on the outer with the AB selectors.

The ABs sans McCaw and Carter. Will seem weird :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/32278.php#.VJBVOmdA2VF

Wales' full schedule for 2015 will see Warren Gatland's squad undergo intensive training camps in Switzerland, Qatar and Poland as well as face home and away ties against Ireland before concluding their preparations against Italy at the Millennium Stadium.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That sounds like an absolute pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

wow, i wonder what money is involved!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

sydthebeat wrote: »
    wow, i wonder what money is involved!!!

I don't know the exact amount but I think it could be covered by the technical term a s**tload!

Also from Murray Kinsella on Racing have announced a special press conference for tomorrow morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

b.gud wrote: »
    I don't know the exact amount but I think it could be covered by the technical term a s**tload!

Also from Murray Kinsella on Racing have announced a special press conference for tomorrow morning

Jonny Sexton reverses his decision to leave and Racing have signed Robbie Henshaw to replace Jamie Roberts.

Obviously.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

JJ to Racing.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

CatFromHue wrote: »
    JJ to Racing.......

Will you ever feck off and close the shaggin door behind you!!
    :);):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Talebula, AAC and Guitoune, that's an unbelievable back three.

Hopefully Bordeaux can make the champions cup next year, they are brilliant to watch. Apparently Sekope Kepu could be signing as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Great signing, even his reputation has taken a bit of a hit after the Beale saga. What position is he likely to play? I think he is a bit wasted out on the wing, and is far more effective in the centre. There is going to be a serious drain of players from the Australian team after the World Cup.

Will you ever feck off and close the shaggin door behind you!!
    :);):)

Conor Murray to Racing....

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Great signing, even his reputation has taken a bit of a hit after the Beale saga. What position is he likely to play? I think he is a bit wasted out on the wing, and is far more effective in the centre. There is going to be a serious drain of players from the Australian team after the World Cup.

Kuridrani to Leinster !!!!!

AAC has done his time. I'd say Genia & Horwill will go. Cooper has just resigned with the Reds so he's not leaving. Folau will always be a target. I'd say Kuridrani will get locked in by Australia. TBH they don't have that many indispensable players anymore. If I was the ARFU it would be Slipper, Moore, Hooper, Cooper, Toomua, Kuridrani and Folau that I'd want to keep the most.

AAC has done his time. I'd say Genia & Horwill will go. Cooper has just resigned with the Reds so he's not leaving. Folau will always be a target. I'd say Kuridrani will get locked in by Australia. TBH they don't have that many indispensable players anymore. If I was the ARFU it would be Slipper, Moore, Hooper, Cooper, Toomua, Kuridrani and Folau that I'd want to keep the most.

Cooper has only resigned till the WC. I wouldn't be surprised if he was off after that, especially when it seems like he is only going to be backup for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

10415551_1001004543246725_4723599449408028711_n.jpg?oh=694360bc9f070a2f6715faf2bbe020f1&oe=553C1E60

does anyone know when he said this or is it recent?

I don't know if he said it but he was linked with a move to Montepellier recently but re signed with Northampton yesterday/today instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Conor Murray to Racing....

You're off my Xmas card list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Anyone read Paul Kimmages's comments about BOD today, didn't realise he was the original ghost writer for the bio, seems they fell out because BOD wouldn't give Kimmage an interview for the indo...

Kimmage seems a belligerent man :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

So delon copped a ban for talking shîte to a fan in the Leicester game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

.ak wrote: »
    So delon copped a ban for talking shîte to a fan in the Leicester game

12 weeks good enough for the idiot.
    The incident occurred when the teams were making their way to the dressing room, Armitage took a wrong turn when he became embroiled in a spat with supporters. An exchange of words led to Armitage allegedly threatening to take a supporter’s “f
    face off in the carpark” before calling the assembled fans, which included children, “inbred c---s”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/news/11300418/Delon-Armitage-hit-with-12-week-ban-over-Leicester-clash.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

With all the transfer talk would it be worth the IRFU putting in place the same rule as NZRU and only picking players for Ireland that play club rugby in Ireland? Surely playing for Ireland at the moment is more of incentive then a pay day in France/England?

I also fear for Australia after the WC and can see a lot of their team moving abroad, don't know why Genia would though as he's still quite young?

12 weeks good enough for the idiot.

Whilst he clearly deserved it, I hope the fan that started it is also investigated by the club.

• Advertisement

James Horwill to Harlequins, after the World Cup, should be announced in the next hour. Like AAC it was expected that he would head north. He is expected to drop the captaincy of the Reds for next season. Whoever replaces him as captain might be a good indication of who will still be at the Reds after the World Cup. In pole position would be Slipper, Genia and Cooper. I would presume Slipper will be made captain.

With all the transfer talk would it be worth the IRFU putting in place the same rule as NZRU and only picking players for Ireland that play club rugby in Ireland? Surely playing for Ireland at the moment is more of incentive then a pay day in France/England?

I also fear for Australia after the WC and can see a lot of their team moving abroad, don't know why Genia would though as he's still quite young?

I don't think Ireland have enough professional teams to enforce that rule effectively without it actually hindering player development. The vast majority of players seem keen to stay in Ireland anyway.

Whilst he clearly deserved it, I hope the fan that started it is also investigated by the club.

I don't really. One is a professional rugby player employed by the club. The other is a man or woman (or child :eek:) who came to watch Leicester play. Unless that person is a paid-up member of the Leicester supporters club, I don't really think Leicester has jurisdiction over Joe Public. Even then, I'm not sure paying your money to support a club each season for example, has a moral code of conduct with conditions attached? I'd be genuinely interested to know what the small print says on your Leinster supporter's season ticket .ak?

While it's regrettable, visiting rugby players should fairly routinely expect at least 1 person from the opposition support will make some sort of jibe. Which they just have to ignore.

If the supporter breaks an actual law (hate speech for example, which I imagine is what the Nigel Owens homophobic abuse comments fell into) then I suppose it becomes in theory a police matter.

But I'm open to having my views changed on this, just my first thoughts that's all.

James Horwill to Harlequins, after the World Cup, should be announced in the next hour. Like AAC it was expected that he would head north. He is expected to drop the captaincy of the Reds for next season. Whoever replaces him as captain might be a good indication of who will still be at the Reds after the World Cup. In pole position would be Slipper, Genia and Cooper. I would presume Slipper will be made captain.

I thought Horwill was world class in 2011. With his various injuries, he's never remotely regained that form. Might be a good chance to reinvent himself with a move overseas.

The NZ websites all basically confirming a Carter move for I think it's €1.2m a season. Toulon's owner apparently not happy about it - I suspect sympathy for him will be high :p

At long last the continual comparisons to Carter can stop for the NZ flyhalves. Ironically, I suspect after this long wait other NZ flyhalves will move ahead of Cruden (if they haven't already). Reminds me of Nick Farr Jones and Peter Slattery.

NB: €1.2m is crazy money for any rugby player, especially one with a poor recent injury record.

I don't really. One is a professional rugby player employed by the club. The other is a man or woman (or child :eek:) who came to watch Leicester play. Unless that person is a paid-up member of the Leicester supporters club, I don't really think Leicester has jurisdiction over Joe Public. Even then, I'm not sure paying your money to support a club each season for example, has a moral code of conduct with conditions attached? I'd be genuinely interested to know what the small print says on your Leinster supporter's season ticket .ak?

While it's regrettable, visiting rugby players should fairly routinely expect at least 1 person from the opposition support will make some sort of jibe. Which they just have to ignore.

If the supporter breaks an actual law (hate speech for example, which I imagine is what the Nigel Owens homophobic abuse comments fell into) then I suppose it becomes in theory a police matter.

But I'm open to having my views changed on this, just my first thoughts that's all.

The club is also responsible for their fans though whether paid club members or Joe Public. If one was being abusive to players the club should take action as much as they can either by issuing a public statement or if necessary trying to restrict that person access to future games. I guess with that it comes down to the actual ground and whoever has authority to restrict access to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Leicester would have jurisdiction in terms of Joe Public as it would normally state in ticket t&c no abuse of players etc and by Joe Public purchasing a ticket he/she is agreeing to abide by the rules/regulations set down by the club in question.
    Yes players should be able to ignore the comments but if they don't and act out of line that doesn't mean the supporter who made a comment cant also be thrown out

The club is also responsible for their fans though whether paid club members or Joe Public. If one was being abusive to players the club should take action as much as they can either by issuing a public statement of if necessary trying to restrict that person access to future games. I guess with that it comes down to the actual ground and whoever is in charge of security. They certainly have the ability to ban troublemakers.

Are they though? In the legal sense.

I know they will try and help their image by making said statements, and can try and ban supporters from matches: not sure how it would stand up in court, though. But I'm not a lawyer, so I don't really know.

The article didn't say what abuse it was.

But honestly, at your average rugby game, if you banned supporters who make jibes at the opposition, you could get rid of a good number of people every game.

Leicester would have jurisdiction in terms of Joe Public as it would normally state in ticket t&c no abuse of players etc and by Joe Public purchasing a ticket he/she is agreeing to abide by the rules/regulations set down by the club in question.
    Yes players should be able to ignore the comments but if they don't and act out of line that doesn't mean the supporter who made a comment cant also be thrown out

Defining abuse though...

...and also whether T&C have legal bearing.

I'm in no way trying to defend supporters abusing players, but unless it was flagrant, I think clubs could waste a lot of time trying to pursue such matters.

I'm sure it's been mentioned but Racing are signing Dan Carter to replace Sexton.

I know they will try and help their image by making said statements, and can try and ban supporters from matches: not sure how it would stand up in court, though. But I'm not a lawyer, so I don't really know.

But honestly, at your average rugby game, if you banned supporters who make jibes at the opposition, you could get rid of a good number of people every game.

I'd assume it would be like any other business premises with the right to refusal of admission or service. But I don't really know either.

I'm not proposing to ban everyone for jibes btw, just that the club look into it and if necessary (if they were abusive, threatening etc) take action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

10415551_1001004543246725_4723599449408028711_n.jpg?oh=694360bc9f070a2f6715faf2bbe020f1&oe=553C1E60

does anyone know when he said this or is it recent?

I think I remember him saying it as he was punching an opponent in the face...

It says something along the lines of bad behaviour will result in you being thrown out of the grounds and possibility of your season ticket revoked, Leinster have the right to do so yada yada.

There was an ol' lad in the Grandstand that used to piss people rightly off due to his pretty intense rants about the refs and everything else that offended him. I believe he was escorted out of games a few times.

What if the person in question called Delon a 'c**t' before Delon said or did anything? Or even worst, maybe a racist remark? I wouldn't want that person apart of my club. I wouldn't want that culture there. I would ensure it was investigated and weeded out. Not to mention doing so publicly would be great PR.

I'm not defending Delon, and his ban is deserved, and he's a pro player so should have thick skin, but even the panel said it there was mitigating circumstances. We can't let that kind of thing creep into the game, as you said it could be very similar to the Nigel Owens thing. It doesn't need to be a police inquiry, it's just about the clubs ensuring their supporters represent them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It says something along the lines of bad behaviour will result in you being thrown out of the grounds and possibility of your season ticket revoked, Leinster have the right to do so yada yada.

There was an ol' lad in the Grandstand that used to piss people rightly off due to his pretty intense rants about the refs and everything else that offended him. I believe he was escorted out of games a few times.

What if the person in question called Delon a 'c**t' before Delon said or did anything? Or even worst, maybe a racist remark? I wouldn't want that person apart of my club. I wouldn't want that culture there. I would ensure it was investigated and weeded out. Not to mention doing so publicly would be great PR.

Damn bloody straight.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/11262186/Two-given-Twickenham-ban-for-homophobic-abuse-of-referee-Nigel-Owens-during-England-v-New-Zealand.html

This is exactly the sort of things sports bodies should be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

As a business operating on private property Leinster are free to admit whoever they like onto the ground, there doesn't need to be any reason (unless the reason is discriminatory). How many fans they choose to ban would be a business call for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hahaha hahaha Dan Carter's coach at racing is gonna be ROG. this is epic.

• Advertisement

I'm going to try my own headline for this one :pac:

Toulon to Sue Fans

Its essentially one person's word against another. 12 weeks seems excessive imo.

Toulon to Sue Fans

Its essentially one person's word against another. 12 weeks seems excessive imo.

I love Mourads comment that the Leicester fans objectivity can legitimately be put into doubt. Where-as Mourad himself is objectivity personified.

If there really is no other proof then I agree it's a bit excessive though. However I'm struggling to feel sorry for the player, the coach or the team tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Toulon to Sue Fans

As a second identical offence, he got what he deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Meanwhile, the takeover of rugby continues apace.

Hope the Irish provinces enjoyed the bit of success while it was there.....

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/european/2014/1219/667887-saracens-lead-bid-to-end-salary-cap/

Larbre34 wrote: »

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/european/2014/1219/667887-saracens-lead-bid-to-end-salary-cap/

I started a thread for this

Larbre34 wrote: »

Ah here we go again about the "level playing field". They are basically saying they want to compete with the French. However instead of trying to curb something that is wholly unsustainable and actually act proactively they want to get involved in a race to the top.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Ah here we go again about the "level playing field". They are basically saying they want to compete with the French. However instead of trying to curb something that is wholly unsustainable and actually act proactively they want to get involved in a race to the top.

I think the Carter signing is a bit unique, in the sense that he ia kind of like David Beckham in offering more worth than just his footballing abilities. Aside from Carter the only other player I can think who would fit this bill is Israel Folau.

But I 100% agree that a race to spend as much as possible will end up with no winners.

I think the Carter signing is a bit unique, in the sense that he ia kind of like David Beckham in offering more worth than just his footballing abilities. Aside from Carter the only other player I can think who would fit this bill is Israel Folau.

But I 100% agree that a race to spend as much as possible will end up with no winners.

Bar the players

Bar the players

Bar a select group of players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Perhaps the spectator simply told felon what the rugby world in general thinks of him. A total, despicable, cheap shot merchant who is a waste of blood and organs ... A total Canute as Castro might say. We of course can't and shouldn't abuse players on Boards. Even those that slither and slime about the place.That wouldn't be right. Right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement