Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion

1194195196197198200»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Lolshaw

Am I mistaken or did he used to be called Balsawood?

My recollection of him is that he was a very good player but seriously flaky.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

To make matters worse, the WRU – as part of their cost-cutting measures at the time – were not covering my travel expenses.

That is absolutely insane.

Buer wrote: »
    I think he was a superb player who completely lost his confidence. Deservedly a Lion in his early years and a RWC winner. The post RWC years destroyed him though with a complete inability to utilise him.

It's a shame because he showed how good he was again when he got away from the pressure and rediscovered his form in France.

Ah stop, Balshaw even being considered amongst the longlist of best 15s (07-10) is bananas!

Balshaw -> Muliana is similar to Paddy Wallace -> M'a Nonu

He was grand. That's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Think you got the wrong end of the stick there. I never said he was among the top full backs in that period. I was using him to highlight the other guys who were starting internationally at that time and weren't in the same bracket as Byrne.

Balshaw was an excellent player but only at certain stages of his career and certainly not those years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Pub argument

Has Rugby union changed much since Munster won the Heineken cup in 2006 ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Pub argument

Pub reply

Yes, mines a pint

PTH2009 wrote:

I would say so. ELVs have come and gone. Interpretation of breakdown has developed significantly. Scrum is very different. Defences have improved hugely in terms of linespeed and organisation.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Pub argument

Yes. Mainly for the better.
    Great times though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Yes. Mainly for the better.
    Great times though

Rugby without John Hayes is not BETTER. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Defence is the biggest thing, sometimes when you watch games from back then you can get a bit agoraphobic! There's so much more wide open space.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Samoan rugby union close to bankruptcy with debts of 1mil (sterling I think ).

They have asked for 150k from RFU for next months game with england

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Samoan rugby union close to bankruptcy with debts of 1mil (sterling I think ).

They have asked for 150k from RFU for next months game with england

Would they not be better off asking for 100k from New Zealand for every player they pinched?.... they'd be in the red for ever!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Would they not be better off asking for 100k from New Zealand for every player they pinched?.... they'd be in the red for ever!!

:D

NZRU actually agreed to something like this but they asked Samoa to pay them $100 for kiwi born player and $50 for every NZ developed player that Samoa selected. The Samoan officials did the maths and realised they could never afford such a deal.

Because the Samoan Rugby Union is so corrupt that FIFA try to learn from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Didn't need to see that this morning will eating my crunchy nut ...

Scott Baldwin should change his twitter bio to "pro rugby player for @ospreys @welshrugbyunion #1109 represnted by @derwynjonescdf @jamesgrantrugby . all views are my own! That f***ing idiot who stuck his hand in a lion cage"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Were they allowed to pet the animals?

It looked like he wasn't the only one at it and the keepers didn't seem too pushed about it either.

CatFromHue wrote: »

It looked like he wasn't the only one at it and the keepers didn't seem too pushed about it either.

They were specifically told not to pet the Lions but Baldwin thought they were referring to Alun Wyn Jones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

CatFromHue wrote: »

I've said it before, the Welsh lads usually expect a free ride from Lions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

EOS on last night's Off the Ball...

"If the piano tuners don't tune the pianos then the piano shifters don't know where to put the piano"

Even Joe Molloy had to go "wait now til I think about that Eddie".

Ha yeah I was listening to that and got a bit stuck myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Hard to see it clearly but yellow for carrier for dangerous play...aside from the fact that you can't try to hurdle a tackle.

Did someone post a video of a player hurdling someone last week to score a try?...may have been twitter I saw it on...might be fresh in players minds and they all want a crack at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Bazzo wrote: »
    this problem should be nswered in laws thread but ref was mad to let it continue. You could penalise the ball carrier under about 3 laws crazy this wasn't penalised straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Anyone else think it's incredibly bad form of Sale to be publicly airing this on Twitter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Should have been a pen alright but kinda odd seeing a Teams official Twitter post that no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

molloyjh wrote:
    Anyone else think it's incredibly bad form of Sale to be publicly airing this on Twitter?
    completely. Air it through the official channels only which they're perfectly entitled to ask for clarification on why something is or isn't allowed but not on social media

molloyjh wrote: »

Unusual and inappropriate? Probably. Incredibly bad form is probably a stretch though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Shocking call though, can see why they're annoyed.

The Sale twitter team should get a 10 week sideline ban for this...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The Sale twitter team should get a 10 week sideline ban for this...!

We need to bring in couch bans ASAP. I vote we start with awec

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

We need to bring in couch bans ASAP. I vote we start with awec

Might cheer the place up.

Have just seen what Marler got his 3 week ban for. Another absolutely farcical decision, 3 weeks for a deliberate strike to the head. What is going on with the disciplinary processes this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Have just seen what Marler got his 3 week ban for. Another absolutely farcical decision, 3 weeks for a deliberate strike to the head. What is going on with the disciplinary processes this season?

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/923198719427833856

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

He missed the head so I’m assuming that went in his favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

molloyjh wrote: »
    He missed the head so I’m assuming that went in his favour.

Eh? Looks like he connects directly with the head to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It's a striking alright but not much force in the contact, I'd say three weeks is about right, given his track record.

Not that different to what Wycherly got three weeks for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Marland Yarde is set to move to Sale Sharks next week. He was dropped for a match by Harelquins after missing training.

Alan jones gave a good rant after the baabaas game yesterday in the state of refereeing in the game.... Worth searching out

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Alan jones gave a good rant after the baabaas game yesterday in the state of refereeing in the game.... Worth searching out

Who were the Baabaas playing?

Who were the Baabaas playing?

Australia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Marland Yarde is set to move to Sale Sharks next week. He was dropped for a match by Harelquins after missing training.

I feel like there's a lot of this story that hasn't leaked.

Gatland having a pop back at SOB in today's Mail it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Gatland having a pop back at SOB in today's Mail it seems

Wonder if it'll cause a rift with Farrell as well...

It is interesting tho, cuz SOB usually follows the party line, he can be brutally honest about player performances but usually speaks about team ethos and belief in the plan etc., etc, basically getting behind the coaches plan.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We've hit 10,000 posts, time for a new thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105115447#post105115447

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement