Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion

Comments

More stats. This site, whilst in Beta still, looks to be trying to get some good statistics together for rugby. Not sure quite how accurate it is, but I'm going to be keeping an eye on it.

Fair Play details
    New Zealand have not had a player sent of in an International match even though they've played 199.
    Jamie Heaslip has the ignomy of being the only Irish player to be sent off in an International (174 games).

We're quite a clean side internationally, with Denis Leamy the only repeat offender to make the Yellow Card list too (3 YCs).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah the reason he is entertaining has as much to do with the brainless mistakes as anything else. He's a bit of a liability and I wouldn't want him anywhere near Leinster.

Not when you already have Madigan ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought there was one Kiwi sent off before.

Can't remember the full story but I thought he just never went back to NZ.

CatFromHue wrote: »

They're missing half of BOD's stats (only have him down for 69 Irish appearances).

There's a chance that the Database isn't quite fully populated yet, and they're only samples of statistics thus far, meaning that you could be right and depending on the remaining data to be filled, my previous post could be utter bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

We're quite a clean side internationally, with Denis Leamy the only repeat offender to make the Yellow Card list too (3 YCs).

I'm sure O'Driscoll got a couple of YCs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would think those stats are a fair bit off yet.

Willie Duggan was sent off for Ireland before Heaslip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Kev Kelleher sent a Colin meads off in the 60's and he was second all black to be sent off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Nah I think he whacked a guy in a bar and was sent home from the tour. Keith Murdoch. Settled in Australia and never returned to NZ. But no red cards to date on the field.

Edit: but before red cards Brownlie & Meads sent off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

You are thinking of Keith Murdoch. Sent home from a tour after a test match against Wales in the 70s. Smacked a security guard in a hotel bar I believe. Got of the plane when it stopped in Aussie and never returned to NZ.

Meads and 1 of the Brownlies got sent off but it was in the days before they used cards, so technically no All Black has ever received a red card. :D
    Seen footage of the Meads one (against Scotland I think) and its an awful call. He goes to kick a loose ball at the same time as an opposing player goes to pick it up. Doesn't even connect with the guy and Meads is dismissed for kicking him in the head!?!?

• Advertisement

Hartley gets 3 weeks which is about right. Could have been more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

George Ford is such a talent. I fear he may be the missing ingredient that England have been looking for.

Edit - Haha as soon as I post that Steenson embarrasses him with some great footwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

82,000 at Twickenham for Quins v Saints is quite impressive. On BT now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Northampton look good at 23-11 up and a lot of their backs haven't got going yet.

It really is something else that's they've soldout the stadium. Harlequins sponsors must be delighted with their branding all over the stadium with 82,500 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sweetthing

Was that game a double header? i couldn´t imagine two English teams selling out twickers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

sweetthing wrote: »
    Was that game a double header? i couldn´t imagine two English teams selling out twickers
    Not a double header. Between it being Christmas and visiting side going well in the league would have pulled a crowd I guess

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Eddie O'Sullivan's Biarritz had been following the French path of winning at home and losing away until recently when a few favourable fixtures have helped them propel to third in the Pro D2. Pau, who are first, are pretty much steam rolling everyone and are 10 points ahead of second but still good to see an Irish coach doing well abroad in a very competitive league, there'd 4 points between third and eighth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Looks like they may be 2nd going by this link. That gap to Pau has narrowed considerably, it looked like a case of when they'd win the title not so long ago but its back to 6 points now as they have lost 3 of the last 5.

http://www.scoresway.com/?sport=rugby&page=competition&id=33

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

wprathead wrote: »
    Team|P|W|D|L|PF|PA|Diff|TF|TA|TBP|LBP|Pts
    Munster|2|2|0|0|55|43|12|5|3|0|0|8
    Connacht|1|1|0|0|10|9|1|1|0|0|0|4
    Ulster|1|0|0|1|20|21|-1|1|2|0|1|1
    Leinster|2|0|0|2|32|44|-12|2|4|0|1|1

Updated:

Munster|3|3|0|0|83|56|27|8|4|0|0|12
    Ulster|2|1|0|1|33|31|2|2|3|0|1|5
    Connacht|3|1|0|2|31|43|-12|3|3|0|1|5
    Leinster|4|1|0|3|66|83|-17|5|8|0|1|5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,379 ✭✭✭✭phog

Updated:

Munster|3|3|0|0|83|56|27|8|4|0|0|12
    Ulster|2|1|0|1|33|31|2|2|3|0|1|5
    Connacht|3|1|0|2|31|43|-12|3|3|0|1|5
    Leinster|4|1|0|3|66|83|-17|5|8|0|1|5

What's this, the InterPros?

phog wrote: »
    Yeah. What else could it be??
    Will we ever see a trophy for this come back as in the team with most points in the 12 regular season pro12 games getting the old interpro trophy or would it be a waste of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Will we ever see a trophy for this come back as in the team with most points in the 12 regular season pro12 games getting the old interpro trophy or would it be a waste of time

I wouldn't mind one. Perhaps a cash prize from the IRFU for the winner that could go towards salaries? If there is a 1872 Cup for Glasgow & Edinburgh then I wouldn't see the problem with an Irish intro title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Wouldn't see much point in it given the weakened teams being put out in a few of them.

Not a double header. Between it being Christmas and visiting side going well in the league would have pulled a crowd I guess

Well Quins got 82,000 two years ago against London Irish, then got 74,000 last year against Exeter which is great going when you consider how far Exeter is from London then a full house this year.

I think this Xmas game is really well promoted and has become a great event. Crazy to think a normal league game can get over 80,000. It has to be said the Prem is a great league.

A simple yes would have been adequate.

I found it strange that Leinster had 4 played while Ulster only played two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Just out of curiosity, what position would you play a 6'1 95kg 19 year old?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »

If any way fast, skillful and decent off both hands, then back row or back line.

Try out in most positions and go from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm resisting the urge to say 1st centre ... That's the problem with schools/underage rugby here. We just put players in positions based on their stats and phsyical profile.

Position for players should be picked on their skillset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Ya is interpro table, just something did outa boredom.

I wouldn't mind one. Perhaps a cash prize from the IRFU for the winner that could go towards salaries? If there is a 1872 Cup for Glasgow & Edinburgh then I wouldn't see the problem with an Irish intro title.
    Trophy would be good to bring back(there would have been one as interpro though a cash prize would be good incentive.
    matthew8 wrote: »
    Wouldn't see much point in it given the weakened teams being put out in a few of them.
    Why not have there regardless of the teams. Keeps the trophy there, competition within a competition.
    A simple yes would have been adequate.

I found it strange that Leinster had 4 played while Ulster only played two.
    Was it not clear and obvious what it was...
    Not that strange Leinster played so many compared to Ulster. Ulster play majority of their interpro clashes at the end of the season and generally always do.
    What level will he be playing at? What experience of other sports do they have? At that size they could play anywhere really apart from front row depending on the level they would be playing

• Advertisement

Ya is interpro table, just something did outa boredom.

Looking ahead to New Year's Day, even though we've won our 3 games we've conceded 13 more points than Connacht. We've also conceded one more try than Connacht, does that make you favourites?

.ak wrote: »
    I'm resisting the urge to say 1st centre ... That's the problem with schools/underage rugby here. We just put players in positions based on their stats and phsyical profile.

Position for players should be picked on their skillset
    That's a very general statement and kind of true but it really varies from school to school and club to club and the mind-set and philosophy of the coaches and club/school involved. It will depend on the resources as well, in terms of numbers in a squad.

Players should be picked in a position depending on their skillset but often the best player will be played out of position to suit the team's needs. This can often be seen with very strong front rows playing youths rugby who are in the provincial set up as a prop/hooker playing at number 8 for their club team as they are the best player and its best for the team

Was it not clear and obvious what it was...
    Not that strange Leinster played so many compared to Ulster. Ulster play majority of their interpro clashes at the end of the season and generally always do.

I wouldn't have asked if it was clear and obvious, but even if it was obvious then a simple yes or no would have done. If you can't answer a question without sniping then just ignore the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

sydthebeat wrote: »
    If any way fast, skillful and decent off both hands, then back row or back line.

Try out in most positions and go from there.
    Not too bad off both hands, decent enough when it comes to kicking and strong. Speed isn't the best though but I can work on that.
    What level will he be playing at? What experience of other sports do they have? At that size they could play anywhere really apart from front row depending on the level they would be playing

Playing with a college team in the lower divisions and hoping to start off with the J4/5s and work way up with the club. Played gaelic and hurling all the way up until minor level at a decent standard at fullback.

Been suggested to me to play back row, just wondering if I'm best off sticking at this weight and concentrating on cardio but keeping the mass in muscle or working on dropping weight.

Not too bad off both hands, decent enough when it comes to kicking and strong. Speed isn't the best though but I can work on that.
    If speed isn't the greatest but hands are good, kicking is good then 12 would be good place at a lot of levels.
    Playing with a college team in the lower divisions and hoping to start off with the J4/5s and work way up with the club. Played gaelic and hurling all the way up until minor level at a decent standard at fullback.

Been suggested to me to play back row, just wondering if I'm best off sticking at this weight and concentrating on cardio but keeping the mass in muscle or working on dropping weight.
    You don't need to worry about weight and most positions at the level you are currently playing or most levels if you go up a grade or two if you are 95kg or so you will be perfectly fine if your skills are very good.
    I wouldn't worry about your weight if your handling, tackling skills etc are good enough

Some very positive news the other side of channel for rugby.

Sale achieved a sell out crowd of 11,000 odd, this being their largest crowd ever. Was a great game as they just lost to Leicester.

Newcastle got their largest crowd since 2008. They got 9,200 compared to 6,000 odd for the same Xmas period game last year. They've made very good in roads in attendance this season, up a couple of thousand per match compared to previous years. Again they just lost but was a very close entertaining game.

What's so significant is that both of these areas are difficult to attract new supporters so rising attendances is always welcome.

In other news London Irish got 17,000 yesterday. Gloucester had 16,000 which is another sell out however that's nothing new. Bath sold out but again nothing new, their trying desperately to increase their stadium. I know their owner is not liked by many here but they play a brilliant running game.

While we all know for the third time in four years Quin's had a sell out crowd for their match at Twickenham 82,000.

This weekends big matches are Leicester V Bath which should be a sell out. Exeter V Gloucester a west country derby and Wasps V Sale in the Ricoh. It's there second game in their new home, their first game got 28,000 but 3,000 tickets were given out free. If they got above 12,000 against a team who don't bring much away support they would be going extremely well. The next game at the Ricoh after Sale is Leinster in which there should be round 20,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

They could make the old interprovincial trophy a challenge type of competition. Each time the holder plays another Irish team, it's up for grabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Folders

Sale achieved a sell out crowd of 11,000 odd, this being their largest crowd ever. Was a great game as they just lost to Leicester.

Newcastle got their largest crowd since 2008. They got 9,200 compared to 6,000 odd for the same Xmas period game last year. They've made very good in roads in attendance this season, up a couple of thousand per match compared to previous years. Again they just lost but was a very close entertaining game.

What's so significant is that both of these areas are difficult to attract new supporters so rising attendances is always welcome.

In other news London Irish got 17,000 yesterday. Gloucester had 16,000 which is another sell out however that's nothing new. Bath sold out but again nothing new, their trying desperately to increase their stadium. I know their owner is not liked by many here but they play a brilliant running game.

While we all know for the third time in four years Quin's had a sell out crowd for their match at Twickenham 82,000.

This weekends big matches are Leicester V Bath which should be a sell out. Exeter V Gloucester a west country derby and Wasps V Sale in the Ricoh. It's there second game in their new home, their first game got 28,000 but 3,000 tickets were given out free. If they got above 12,000 against a team who don't bring much away support they would be going extremely well. The next game at the Ricoh after Sale is Leinster in which there should be round 20,000.

Ya totally, Wasps have done waaaay better in terms of crowds since they went to Coventry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Lads what ever happened to Tomas O'Leary? I know he is playing with London Irish now but he seemed to have fallen of the face of the earth. I thought he was class for Ireland when he was our first choice. Same with Munster. How come he just fell out of those squads? Hes not even in contention to get a place on the Irish panel any more. Why is this?

• Advertisement

deadybai wrote: »
    Lads what ever happened to Tomas O'Leary? I know he is playing with London Irish now but he seemed to have fallen of the face of the earth. I thought he was class for Ireland when he was our first choice. Same with Munster. How come he just fell out of those squads? Hes not even in contention to get a place on the Irish panel any more. Why is this?

His form dropped off a cliff. He's still with LI but on their bench mostly. He had a great few years but relied heavily on his athleticism and pace. After the ankle injury, he never really got that back to the same extent and also suffered with chronic back problems.

I expect he'll retire completely at a young enough age (he's still only 31).

Meanwhile in Ireland we send out half strength teams for our Christmas Inter Pros. The Pro 12 is in danger of getting left way behind here

Folders wrote: »
    Ya totally, Wasps have done waaaay better in terms of crowds since they went to Coventry.

Yeah but your sample size of games is currently one. The key will be whether they are still attracting 20 odd thousand in 3 months time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

deadybai wrote: »

He was never really "class" as such. His box kicking could be poor enough and his delivery bordered on pedestrian a lot of the time. Murray has turned out to be a great 9, so every cloud and all that...

Simon Thomas of Wales Online names his 15 best rugby players of 2014.

Sexton, POM & Bowe are the Irish players named

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

Buer wrote: »
    His form dropped off a cliff. He's still with LI but on their bench mostly. He had a great few years but relied heavily on his athleticism and pace. After the ankle injury, he never really got that back to the same extent and also suffered with chronic back problems.

I expect he'll retire completely at a young enough age (he's still only 31).

I think he could bring something to the Munster setup if he is in any sort of form, but he hasn't even been making their 23 man squad of late. His physical attributes would suit Munster's style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

TOL is 2nd/3rd choice for the second worst side in the premiership. I hate to write players off but I wouldn't be enthusiastic about him playing professional rugby in Ireland again. Still has big issues with his passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭sjwpjw

Just on the subject of scrum halves, why do so many of them (C Murray etc) take a few steps nearly every time before they pass from rucks etc?

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

@phog haha i see in the poll at the end of the article Alun Wyn Jones is by far ahead of everybody else as the best player of the year! I don't think i'd have him in the list at all but i guess since its a welsh website i presume they had to put someone in! Don't think id have Bowe or JeanDV either

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

sjwpjw wrote: »
    Just on the subject of scrum halves, why do so many of them (C Murray etc) take a few steps nearly every time before they pass from rucks etc?

Ta

Draw in defenders or build up momentum for a longer pass?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement