Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Um if it's true that's assault. However until there is more evidence than a cut & paste from another rugby forum chat I'm not presupposing anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭phog

matthew8 wrote: »
    I'd find the JP Doyle thing hard to believe simply because it's so serious. The potential repercussions are massive and I don't think they'd be stupid enough to do something like that.

In this case yes, lose a few places in the league and you could be out of Europe next season.

You'd like to think it couldn't/wouldn't happen.

I wonder if they lost out to Europe could McCall be tempted back to Ulster.

Buer wrote: »
    I'd take it with a pinch of salt but similar happened to George Clancy when he came under attack from club officials after an AIL game. People are stupid.

Shannon about 3 years back, not sure if players were involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

phog wrote: »
    Shannon about 3 years back, not sure if players were involved.

Not that I'm aware of. The club president went after him after the game and had to be pulled away from trying to get into his dressing room.

Shannon were docked league points and fined €25,000

If what is rumoured about Sarries is true and the RFU treat it as serious as the IRFU did then Sarries could be in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

One thing that is supposed to make Rugby unique is that it is supposed to be a game for all shapes and sizes. Small stout guys can be rubbish at every other field sport but can be world class scrummagers.

On the ref point, yes some issues there - I agree. But refs are assessed, too many mistakes and they are gone.

As for damage, I think new scrum engagement is a massive improvement.

Scrum reffing is important and there has been an improvement. I'd like to see more penalties being called on the blind side of scrums of the ref (indicated by ARs). This has improved a lot and I'd like that trend to continue.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Apparently (I have no source) there are some rumours of Saracens players threatening JP Doyle post match. Anyone know where these are coming from.

Sounding more like a rumour, hope the RFU issue a statement to clear the air. Its not nice for club or ref to have rumours hanging over them.

Morf wrote: »
    Scrum reffing is important and there has been an improvement. I'd like to see more penalties being called on the blind side of scrums of the ref (indicated by ARs). This has improved a lot and I'd like that trend to continue.

If you were to go down that road, should a scrum ref be available as an optiion? The 4th or 5th official could be a dedicated scrum ref, he'd come on the field to assist the ref once a scrum is called.

This week's Premiership cliché bingo is brought to you in association with TV3's Telly Bingo.

Our first quote comes straight from Danny Care
    Danny Care wrote:
    I think the standard in the Premiership has gone up again this year - there's literally no easy games. Everyone is pushing everyone and anyone can beat anyone on their day.

Toby Booth, Bath's first team coach chipped in with
    Toby Booth wrote:
    It is a cliché but there are no easy games in this league and Wasps will be another tough test, especially since they are still on a bit of high off the back of their move.

Gloucester's captain Tom Savage had this to say
    Tom Savage wrote:
    There are no easy games in the Premiership and especially not against Saracens but nor would I say there is any added pressure just because we've lost the first game - Sale's been put behind us now and we move on

London Welsh declined the opportunity to comment.

Tune in next week when we hear the soundbite from another collection of professionals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

This week's Premiership cliché bingo is brought to you in association with TV3's Telly Bingo.

Our first quote comes straight from Danny Care

Toby Booth, Bath's first team coach chipped in with

Gloucester's captain Tom Savage had this to say

London Welsh declined the opportunity to comment.

Tune in next week when we hear the soundbite from another collection of professionals.

To be honest while the Pro 12 is intriguing this year I fear a gulf is opening up between the Premiership and our league. The effects of the BT cash bonanza are beginning to be felt and will become more pronounced in the next couple of years. In football terms England will be the Premier League and the Celtic League will become the SPL. Sorry for being negative but that is where we are going. So soundbites or no soundbites (and London Welsh are a farce) the Premiership is in an increasingly good place.

On the upside in the long run, as with France, it won't do the English national team any favours.

• Advertisement

Totally agree, and have spoke about it at length, the centralisation of talent caused by massive wage inflation ought to improve the standards of the competitions where that inflation occurs, and not only improve them, but do so to the detriment of others.

However, this cliché about no easy games is persistent and demonstrably wrong. It gets trotted out ad naseum and I despair at any believers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

phog wrote: »
    If you were to go down that road, should a scrum ref be available as an optiion? The 4th or 5th official could be a dedicated scrum ref, he'd come on the field to assist the ref once a scrum is called.
    No. A referee should simply use their assistants more or in a better more effective manner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Is it wage inflation because of the BT deal? Really? Are those squads much different to how they were before the deal? I dont quite see that as being the whole story.

Part of the difference for me comes in the approach to the league. Irish provinces do not treat (or are not allowed to treat) the Pro 12 as importantly as the Premiership is treated by its teams, and their hands are tied. And this feeds right back into the issues of wages: BT and Sky are not going to be fighting over the competition when organisations like the IRFU are devaluing games like Leinster v Munster with by moving it into the Christmas period and then extending overbearing limitations on provincial selection.

The quality of the squads isn't the issue in my opinion. I'd say that Leinster/Munster/Ulster/Glasgow/Ospreys/Connacht/Llanelli are just as good as their Premiership couterparts on paper still, so I don't think we can run off and make excuses about money just yet.

However, this cliché about no easy games is persistent and demonstrably wrong. It gets trotted out ad naseum and I despair at any believers.

I still have no idea what the problem is on this though? It's just people using clichés when talking to the media. These guys are rugby professionals, not poets!

Well the premiership salary cap increased by ~25% this year, and also the introduction of the marquee player outside of the cap actually means there's theoretically no cap.

How many transfers have gone Pro12 -> Premiership vs how many Premiership -> Pro 12?

JJ Hanrahan reportedly offered 3x salary to move.

etc etc

All 4 Irish teams in the top 6 in the Pro12. Ospreys and Glasgow worth their places at the top of the league (and not far ahead of the others). Not sure how you could say that Irish teams aren't treating it with respect.

Not sure how many times we can have this same conversation (though subtly different) again ibf

Well the premiership salary cap increased by ~25% this year, and also the introduction of the marquee player outside of the cap actually means there's theoretically no cap.

How many transfers have gone Pro12 -> Premiership vs how many Premiership -> Pro 12?

4 Irish teams out of the top 6 in the Pro12. Ospreys and Glasgow worth their places at the top of the league (and not far ahead of the others).

JJ Hanrahan reportedly offered 3x salary to move.

Not sure how many times we can have this conversation really ibf

Yes there is money available. How has that affected the squads so far? Not that much.

I'm not talking about what is theoretically available to these teams going forward. I'm talking about how these changes are actively affecting the league right now at this moment.

Okay, but that's not what bilston said, nor what I agreed with (future tense in both of our posts)

Okay, but that's not what bilston said, nor what I agreed with (future tense in both of our posts)

He said that a gulf is opening up and the Premiership is looking increasingly strong so was referring to current events at least partially?

I would say there's already a large gap on display in terms of the competitiveness of bothis leagues. To blame only money for that (not saying you are) would be to stick your head in the sand and ignore the myriad of things that CLL are not doing. And if it continues this way and the Premiership gallops off in front it will just get easier to blame money and ignore the weaknesses in the organisation of the Pro 12 itself.

Not having this conversation again.

If you don't find the persistent cliché dropping at least amusing, just ignore the posts. Others seemed to enjoy them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

It's now being reported that Clermont are trying to sign Alex Cuthbert to replace Nalaga next season, on a salary of €650,000. Even with a dual contract, Cardiff/Wales can't compete with that.

Although Cuthbert is supposed to be contracted up to the end of next season, so not sure what to make of it really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's now being reported that Clermont are trying to sign Alex Cuthbert to replace Nalaga next season, on a salary of €650,000. Even with a dual contract, Cardiff/Wales can't compete with that.

Although Cuthbert is supposed to be contracted up to the end of next season, so not sure what to make of it really.

It mightn't be related to Cuthbert but Scott Spedding has signed from Bayonne as a replacement for Buttin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I can think of no reason why Cuthbert should stay at Cardiff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Let's face it the Celtic League is just not attractive. Although its great resting players throughout the season it will only takes from the league and fans get disinterested.

Say from the start of this year we've have two cracking Friday night Aviva Prem games on BT Sport with full strength international teams. Then the last two Saturday's there was Exeter V Gloucester which the away team won by one single point in a sell out west country derby and then Harlequins V Leicester with all their internationals playing to another sell out crowd.

Although a Leinster supporter I much preferred to watch Harlequins V Leicester then Cardiff V Leinster which were on at the same time. When you get teams like Sale beating Northampton then LI beating Exeter on the last kick of the game it makes the league very even and incredibly close.

Granted London Welsh are a joke this year, next year Bristol will make the league even more interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Let's face it the Celtic League is just not attractive. Although its great resting players throughout the season it will only takes from the league and fans get disinterested.

Say from the start of this year we've have two cracking Friday night Aviva Prem games on BT Sport with full strength international teams. Then the last two Saturday's there was Exeter V Gloucester which the away team won by one single point in a sell out west country derby and then Harlequins V Leicester with all their internationals playing to another sell out crowd.

Although a Leinster supporter I much preferred to watch Harlequins V Leicester then Cardiff V Leinster which were on at the same time. When you get teams like Sale beating Northampton then LI beating Exeter on the last kick of the game it makes the league very even and incredibly close.

Granted London Welsh are a joke this year, next year Bristol will make the league even more interesting.

I wouldn't exactly say Bristol are guaranteed promotion. Worcester will have a big say there. Although they'd be a big improvement over Welsh as well.

He would be a brilliant signing for them, in terms of his profile, but they need to be looking to strengthen their half backs imo.

London Irish are going to do well out of the Wasps move, in terms of increasing their recruitment range into the home counties, but in the short term I think there's a limit to how far they'll get with Scott Steele and Shane Geraghty pulling the strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

...it makes the league very even and incredibly close.

Unlike the Pro12 where there are 5 points between Ospreys in first and Ulster in 5th?

Look the league has it's issues. It isn't the priority of the Irish provinces certainly. But should it really come as a surprise that the European competition, the older of the two, means more to us? And just because it isn't a priority doesn't for one second mean it isn't important.

It's still very much in its infancy, especially when compared to the AP and T14. And there are more logistical issues compared to those leagues as well.

And all this talk of resting players is starting to annoy me. Remember the 2011 HEC final when Saints started talking about how it was so unfair that their guys were tired and we weren't. As though our guys not being tired was the problem. The HEC final is meant to be the show piece of the European club game. It should not be contested by 2 tired teams. Of course then there's the fact that we heard the "battle hardened" line when English teams were winning which suddenly turned on it's head when they weren't.

As a Leinster fan I genuinely enjoy watching young lads come through. It also means that we develop a depth to our squad that others simply don't. Again the 2011 final in Cardiff showed that up. Once their guys started to tire they didn't have the bench to fall back on. The game isn't a 15 man game anymore and it's so physical that you will have to deal with injuries. So squad depth is massively important. You can only develop that by giving guys time, which means resting others. Unless you're a French club, in which case you can buy in enough players to have pretty much 2 squads.

This season and last season have been poor ones for the league, but you also have to look at the talent that the league has lost and other mitigating factors like the rows in Welsh and Italian rugby. There's only so much we can expect from this league at this stage. I think people need to realise that. There is absolutely no way it can be another AP or T14 without the history or the investment those leagues have. End of.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Unlike the Pro12 where there are 5 points between Ospreys in first and Ulster in 5th?

Look the league has it's issues. It isn't the priority of the Irish provinces certainly. But should it really come as a surprise that the European competition, the older of the two, means more to us? And just because it isn't a priority doesn't for one second mean it isn't important.

It's still very much in its infancy, especially when compared to the AP and T14. And there are more logistical issues compared to those leagues as well.

And all this talk of resting players is starting to annoy me. Remember the 2011 HEC final when Saints started talking about how it was so unfair that their guys were tired and we weren't. As though our guys being tired was the problem. The HEC final is meant to be the show piece of the European club game. Therefore it should not be contested by 2 tired teams. Of course then there's the fact that we heard the "battle hardened" line when English teams were winning which suddenly turned on it's head when they weren't.

As a Leinster fan I genuinely enjoy watching young lads come through. It also means that we develop a depth to our squad that others simply don't. Again the 2011 final in Cardiff showed that up. Once their guys started to tire they didn't have the bench to fall back on. The game isn't a 15 man game anymore and it's so physical that you will have to deal with injuries. So squad depth is massively important. You can only develop that by giving guys time, which means resting others. Unless you're a French club, in which case you can buy in enough players to have pretty much 2 squads.

This season and last season have been poor ones for the league, but you also have to look at the talent that the league has lost and other mitigating factors like the row in Welsh rugby. There's only so much we can expect from this league at this stage. I think people need to realise that. There is absolutely no way it can be another AP or T14 without the history or the investment those leagues have. End of.

I don't find these massively important... To firstly address a couple of points very quickly: 1) PRL is not that much older than Celtic League Limited. The age argument doesn't apply there at all really? 2) Squad depth is not worth devaluing the competition. Also the Premiership clubs manage to develop plenty of squad depth, so I really don't see where the Pro 12 teams are benefitting there. Possible red herring? 3) The 2011 talk only serves (as far as I can see) to either prove the relative strength of the competitions or else prove the ineptitude of Mallinder to manage his playing resources, surely? I would say it's the latter by the way.

The Premiership is treated as a primary competition by it's clubs. TV companies are interested, so they pay a lot more to show those games on TV.

The Pro 12 is treated as a development competition. TV companies aren't interested in that. They won't pay for a competition if the IRFU are going to shift the biggest game into late December and then force the provinces into a place where they're holding players back from taking part. There's no value in that for the likes of BT. The TV companies will invest elsewhere and the Celtic League teams will be decimated when it comes to the negotiating table.

What's the answer? Decentralise control of the competition away from the Unions, move it to the provinces themselves. It's just an extension of the exact same problems that plagued and led to the downfall of the ERC. The competition should be run by those who will benefit from it's success, just as the Top 14 and Premiership are. Once the strength of the competition itself is incentivised we'll see decision-making improve. Dawson/Fitzgerald/Logan are the ones who should be taking charge.

I haven't heard anything but wouldn't surprise me, despite his best efforts he remains a sporadic match day 23 player under Hansen. He's probably not the worlds greatest scrummager (not bad though) but very mobile, defends well and can play both sides. Would be a good signing.

• Advertisement

I don't find these massively important... To firstly address a couple of points very quickly: 1) PRL is not that much older than Celtic League Limited. The age argument doesn't apply there at all really? 2) Squad depth is not worth devaluing the competition. Also the Premiership clubs manage to develop plenty of squad depth, so I really don't see where the Pro 12 teams are benefitting there. Possible red herring? 3) The 2011 talk only serves (as far as I can see) to either prove the relative strength of the competitions or else prove the ineptitude of Mallinder to manage his playing resources, surely? I would say it's the latter by the way.

The Premiership is treated as a primary competition by it's clubs. TV companies are interested, so they pay a lot more to show those games on TV.

The Pro 12 is treated as a development competition. TV companies aren't interested in that. They won't pay for a competition if the IRFU are going to shift the biggest game into late December and then force the provinces into a place where they're holding players back from taking part. There's no value in that for the likes of BT. The TV companies will invest elsewhere and the Celtic League teams will be decimated when it comes to the negotiating table.

What's the answer? Decentralise control of the competition away from the Unions, move it to the provinces themselves. It's just an extension of the exact same problems that plagued and led to the downfall of the ERC. The competition should be run by those who will benefit from it's success, just as the Top 14 and Premiership are. Once the strength of the competition itself is incentivised we'll see decision-making improve. Dawson/Fitzgerald/Logan are the ones who should be taking charge.

The PRL itself may not be much older but there has existed in England leagues and cups of some form or other 30+ years. That's quite different to the Celtic League which is only 13 years old. Compare it then to the T14 then as well which is, again for all intents and purposes, over 100 years old. Both the AP and the T14 have a couple of generations at least who have known nothing else but their national competition with Europe coming later. The Pro12 supporters have more people who were following rugby before the Pro12 ever happened than not. Europe came along first with the Pro12 following after. It isn't as ingrained in the fan base as a result.

Secondly the logistical issues I mentioned are a massive barrier that neither the English or the French have to worry about. This impacts everything from travelling fans to sponsorship to TV deals. There isn't a single market in the same way there is elsewhere and there are more overheads involved in a multi-national league as well as competing interests over and above what you'll get in the other leagues. To say the broadcasters aren't interested in it because it is a "development league" is massive over simplification at best.

The Pro12 is a totally different beast to the AP and the T14 for those reasons and more. It's difficult to make direct comparisons as a result. The issue with players leaving the league for more money in France and England is only making matter worse. In fact I'm of the opinion that up until last season it had been going exactly the right way. That final in the RDS against the Ospreys was a bloody good event and I thought the league was really finding its feet. Its a shame things have gone the way they have since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Please God lets not do this again. It's like a stuck record. Back and forward.

RR are saying Cuthbert has refused a dual contract. He is contracted for another season. Perhaps we'll see Cardiff accept a transfer fee from Clermont a la Scarlets & George North.

molloyjh wrote: »
    The PRL itself may not be much older but there has existed in England leagues and cups of some form or other 30+ years. That's quite different to the Celtic League which is only 13 years old. Compare it then to the T14 then as well which is, again for all intents and purposes, over 100 years old. Both the AP and the T14 have a couple of generations at least who have known nothing else but their national competition with Europe coming later. The Pro12 supporters have more people who were following rugby before the Pro12 ever happened than not. Europe came along first with the Pro12 following after. It isn't as ingrained in the fan base as a result.

Secondly the logistical issues I mentioned are a massive barrier that neither the English or the French have to worry about. This impacts everything from travelling fans to sponsorship to TV deals. There isn't a single market in the same way there is elsewhere and there are more overheads involved in a multi-national league as well as competing interests over and above what you'll get in the other leagues. To say the broadcasters aren't interested in it because it is a "development league" is massive over simplification at best.

The Pro12 is a totally different beast to the AP and the T14 for those reasons and more. It's difficult to make direct comparisons as a result. The issue with players leaving the league for more money in France and England is only making matter worse. In fact I'm of the opinion that up until last season it had been going exactly the right way. That final in the RDS against the Ospreys was a bloody good event and I thought the league was really finding its feet. Its a shame things have gone the way they have since.

I really don't think the age of the Celtic League or the logistics of it are the issue at all. The Premiership is not undergoing it's current growth because of it's age. Fans don't really travel in England either (travelling from Sale or Newcastle to London isn't really that easy!). The growth of the Premiership is due to commercial and rugby reasons, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think the Pro 12 is declining either, I think it's quite strong and still growing (albeit slowly). But there is LOADS of unfulfilled potential and bad decision after bad decision is only serving to squander that potential even further. It's a real shame, obviously as a Leinster fan I would much prefer to see the Pro 12 as the strongest league in Europe. Unfortunately I can't see any way to bridge the gap without massive upheaval at the top, and that's not going to happen.

OldRio wrote: »
    Please God lets not do this again. It's like a stuck record. Back and forward.

The management of the Pro 12 itself is a different topic. If you don't want to read it there is a whole internet of other things for you to fill your time with.

News out today - Attendances in the Aviva Prem are up 3.6% year on year and the number of sell outs is up from 9 to 16.

https://twitter.com/premrugby/status/554616329710616576

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

The management of the Pro 12 itself is a different topic. If you don't want to read it there is a whole internet of other things for you to fill your time with.

But it isn't.

These are your words, not a couple of hours ago.

'It's just an extension of the exact same problems that plagued and led to the downfall of the ERC.'

So which way is it? 'Different topic' or 'exact same'

For the ignorant like me, how much "Irish" is there in London Irish? Is it a club that would have a strong following in Ireland? If Irish players head to England, would London Irish be a perennial favourite?

Or is it more like French fries, where it's French in name only?

Swiwi. wrote: »
    For the ignorant like me, how much "Irish" is there in London Irish? Is it a club that would have a strong following in Ireland? If Irish players head to England, would London Irish be a perennial favourite?

It used to be very Irish. Now it gets a fair Irish following but not like it had previously. It was recently bought by an Irish consortium and they've brought over a few Irish lads since.

It's not Irish in name only but it doesn't have any following in Ireland either. A lot of Leinster fans first thoughts of them would be the awfully obnoxious announcer in 2010 (HEC game) in Twickenham chanting "Come on you Irish" every 5 minutes... that was traumiaticallly cringe-inducing.

The pro side isn't hugely "irish" any more but they got a new owner at the end of last season who is Irish and they signed several irish players last summer as the new owners wanted to try reinvigorate the club’s Irish links and rekindle relations with the Irish Rugby Football Union.
    The amateur part of the club still has strong irish roots etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Originally it was an exiles club, so its roots are very much in Irish rugby. However, in the advent of professionalism that dwindled out, to the point they copped the nickname 'Not-nots', as in... Not Irish.

However, in recent seasons I believe they have been taken over by a pair of Irish guys and as such they've put in a pretty big drive to get fringe players over there from Ireland. TOL plays with them, Hago is contracted with them, they were eyeing up Earls I believe, there's a few other Irish names on their roster, and people believe from a 'business' point of view they'll keep targeting Irish players to maybe get more ex-pats through the gates.

That's my fairly limited knowledge on them though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Originally they were an exiles team, made up almost completely of Irish players that were living in and around London and had a good few Irish internationals. I think after a while it just sort of transitioned into another English club. It wouldn't really have any following over here.

Thanks for that lads, I feel more informed! From the wee googling I have done, it seems like the Ben Franks deal is done & dusted, and he will be a good signing for them. At 30 years of age, and with plenty of rugby still left in him, but perenially on the fringes of the AB squad, I think it's a good move on his part. I'm more relieved that his brother (who is only 27) is locked away until 2017.

Anyway, cheers again for the responses!

.ak wrote: »
    to the point they copped the nickname 'Not-nots', as in... Not Irish

Ah c'mere it deserves better explanation! It's Not-nots because they're not Irish and they don't play in London! London Irish - Not-nots!

Just because it's a particularly good nickname...

Ah c'mere it deserves better explanation! It's Not-nots because they're not Irish and they don't play in London! London Irish - Not-nots!

They don't play in London?

I really am enhancing my learning today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Their stadium's in Reading, about an hours drive from London

They play in Reading, about 40 minutes west depending on traffic. Franks could still live in London and commute so you can tell him not to worry too much.

Moved out to Reading, an hour from London, around 13-14 years ago

Mick Crossan and Phil Cusack took them over the year before last.

Can't say I know too much about Phil but Mick is a real decent fella. Season ticket holder at Chelsea and was a massive London Irish supporter before he took them over.

If you notice his company 'Powerday' have been sponsoring the club for quite a few years and recently signed an extention. Mick basically paid for LI academy a few years back while the senior team have brilliant new facilities at Hazelwood which was an old pay and play golf course, they've got a serious amount of land out there.

Their really pushing to sign Irish qualified players but signing decent ones is tricky as their tied to the IRFU. It's still work in progress.

They signed a 25 year lease with Rading to use their stadium which is a pain to get home from if you live in South, North or East London. There is talk at the moment they'll move into Brentford's new ground which would be a help.

Their main aim is obviously make a profit but it's more of keeping the club afloat and getting more Irish players in there. The St. Patrick Day matches are always good events.

It used to be very Irish. Now it gets a fair Irish following but not like it had previously. It was recently bought by an Irish consortium and they've brought over a few Irish lads since.

It's not Irish in name only but it doesn't have any following in Ireland either. A lot of Leinster fans first thoughts of them would be the awfully obnoxious announcer in 2010 (HEC game) in Twickenham chanting "Come on you Irish" every 5 minutes... that was traumiaticallly cringe-inducing.

Easily the most bizarre experience I've had at a game. Between the constant "Come on you Irish" in anything but an Irish accent and the Irish songs they were pumping through the PA we were all like...

3932286119_what_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ha, I didn't know that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement