Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Wasps have already sold over 15,000 for the game against Leinster with 9 days still to go.

http://www.wasps.co.uk/news/article/2015/01/15/over-15-000-tickets-sold-for-wasps-european-clash-against-leinster

So the crowds they've had since moving are 28,254 and 15,343 and the Leinster game will be close 20,000 I'd say. Crazy to think their biggest home crowd last year at Adams Park was 7,000 against Leicester.

At this point they've sold over 17,000 tickets they'll get to over 20,000 easy enough.

Some turnaround for Wasps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

errlloyd wrote: »
    I think it's amazing how close to a South African starting 15 we could get in Ireland.

Weibhan Herbst
    Richardt Strauss
    BJ Botha
    Franco van de Merwe
    Quinn Roux
    Robbie Diack
    CJ Stander

Ruan Pieenar

Gerhard Van Den Heveer
    Pat Howard
    Danie Poolman
    Louis Ludik
    Zane Kirchener

a 7 and a 10 away from a team (with a few subs)

Well if everyone is happy to play Diack at 7 and Stander at 6, I am more than happy for Ulster to take Duane Vermulen to finalise the forward pack! Just in the interests of this mythical team you understand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

ouncer wrote: »
    Knew there was a statement that was bugging me. Scrums create space on the pitch. Are you kidding me. Scrums kill the game and at best allow teams to reset their formations. Scrums create nothing, they just add to an injury list. Both teams get a breather while the big boys muck about for the benefit of the paying public

You could always watch League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

ouncer wrote: »
    Knew there was a statement that was bugging me. Scrums create space on the pitch. Are you kidding me. Scrums kill the game and at best allow teams to reset their formations. Scrums create nothing, they just add to an injury list. Both teams get a breather while the big boys muck about for the benefit of the paying public

As a back I can tell you scrums certainly do create space on the pitch. It's much harder to defend off a scrum and in attack we have far more space and time to perform a backline move.

Look at this way, when you're defending you're 10 meters off the line, with about 6 meters between you and the next defender. In rugby terms that's a sea of space. Oddly enough I reckon the backs enjoy scrums more than anyone else! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Ouncer Connachts third try v Munster came because of the space created by a scrum. Connacht stacked the space right hand side drawing all defenders over giving Marmion the space to go down the blindside to practically the try line when we bundled over 2 phases later

http://youtu.be/6m_sBdPVSs8

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Apparently Geordan Murphy is in talks with Wasps to take over as attack coach for them. I thought he'd be a Tiger for life. Something not right at Welford Road.

Midi Olympique reporting that both Du Plessis brothers are going to Montpellier after the RWC along with Nic White. Also say that Toulon are close to securing Duane Vermeulen. Jerone Kaino being tracked by a few sides including Toulouse, Bath and Leicester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Jesus. Vermeulen could be going to Toulon. Some backrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »
    Apparently Geordan Murphy is in talks with Wasps to take over as attack coach for them. I thought he'd be a Tiger for life. Something not right at Welford Road.

This is a continuation of the same problem that saw MOC decide to leave them, some bad decisions were made out that way.

Murphy however will have a lot of firepower at his disposal next season. Hope he develops into a top quality coach.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

http://balls.ie/rugby/video-blatant-diving-rugby-toulouses-yoann-huget-now-public-enemy-no-1/

probably a bit of contact but nothing to make him go down in that manner

• Advertisement

I thought Clancy should've spoken to him about it, he clearly saw it on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

sydthebeat wrote: »
    http://balls.ie/rugby/video-blatant-diving-rugby-toulouses-yoann-huget-now-public-enemy-no-1/

probably a bit of contact but nothing to make him go down in that manner

he's a winger though...closest thing to soccer players on the rugby field!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Jerone Kaino being tracked by a few sides including Toulouse, Bath and Leicester.

Please no!! Kaino has to stay in NZ until after the Lions tour.
    Unless he goes to an Irish club, then it will be ok.

RuggieBear wrote: »
    he's a winger though...closest thing to soccer players on the rugby field!:pac:

You mean with our devilish good looks and fast cars and fast women?

It's a hard life to deal with, so you know we're sensitive souls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

.ak wrote: »
    You mean with our devilish good looks and fast cars and fast women?

It's a hard life to deal with, so you know we're sensitive souls.

I knew there was something a bit off about you....

RuggieBear wrote: »
    I knew there was something a bit off about you....

Okay I lied about the fast car and I only the one girlfriend, but the rest is absolutely honest. :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Would it be fair to say Huget likes a bit of the niggly stuff?

It doesn't surprise me that he took a dive anyway.

Haha, do you remember him winding up Farrell in the 2013 6n?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Please no!! Kaino has to stay in NZ until after the Lions tour.
    Unless he goes to an Irish club, then it will be ok.

It's hardly breaking news that clubs are interested in Kaino. The NZRFU will make a good offer and then we see. With a lot of senior ABs moving on there should be a decent war chest but if money is Kaino main motivation then he will find better pay outside of nz for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Narbonne, two points off the relegation zone in ProD2, have just signed Jerry Collins. Yes, that Jerry Collins!

http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/pro-d2/2014-2015/transfert-narbonne-arrivee-de-jerry-collins-comme-joker-medical_sto4553531/story.shtml

Hopefully this means Collins is going well these days. I remember hearing about some incidents in Japan.

Narbonne are one of my favourite clubs, their fans are bonkers. One of the highlights of the final most years is bumping into them marauding around the place.

Narbonne are one of my favourite clubs, their fans are bonkers.

Now their players are too.

so surprised hes still only 34!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Has Collins even been playing for the last year?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Has Collins even been playing for the last year?

No

• Advertisement

Legit or I'm sooooooooo soooooooooooo sorry?

I sincerely apologise for my inappropriate simulation which does not reflect myself and the values of rugby.

https://twitter.com/Huget14/status/557235084663984128

I would love to see a YC in such situations.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I would love to see a YC in such situations.

Hard one to call.

Unless there's a clear "no contact" dive which is easily seen on TMO.
    But refs aren't medics, and won't be able to determine event of injury....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

so surprised hes still only 34!!!

No feckin' way!!

Hard one to call.

Unless there's a clear "no contact" dive which is easily seen on TMO.
    But refs aren't medics, and won't be able to determine event of injury....

Ah, I reckon that was obvious. I'm pretty sure one of the laws would allow a YC for such offences. I mean if you look at it the other way, what would the Bath supporters have felt if Clancy had got out a card for the Bath player for foul play on Huget?

It should be immediately stamped out in rugby.

• Advertisement

Agree it should be immediately stamped out, I just wonder if public embarrassment after the fact is a good enough way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

I think you have to stamp out diving straight away.

In the case of Huget he should be cited and receive a one or two week ban. Might sound very harsh but you have nip these things in the bud.

Technically a ref can penalise anything they consider an act of unsporting nature.

Technically a ref can penalise anything they consider an act of unsporting nature.

But the disciplinary board can't randomly ban people for the same reason, nor should they be able to really.

But the disciplinary board can't randomly ban people for the same reason, nor should they be able to really.

Are you sure? There's precedent for it isn't there, players bringing the game into disrepute? Delon recently? Wasn't douggie for the car hopping?

Are you sure? There's precedent for it isn't there, players bringing the game into disrepute? Delon recently? Wasn't douggie for the car hopping?

I wonder if the ref could call it a professional foul and penalise (even card) him for that.

I wonder if the ref could call it a professional foul and penalise (even card) him for that.

I don't see why not. Like the time Care threw the match ball into the crowd to prevent Ireland from taking a quick line out. He was shown yellow, presumably for an act of an unsporting nature. There's nothing in the law book that says he can't do that.

Ben Franks to LI confirmed

I don't see why not. Like the time Care threw the match ball into the crowd to prevent Ireland from taking a quick line out. He was shown yellow, presumably for an act of an unsporting nature. There's nothing in the law book that says he can't do that.

Law 10.4 (n)

Misconduct while the ball is out of play. A player, must not, while the ball is out of play, commit any misconduct, or obstruct or in any way interfere with an opponent.

Law 10.4 (n)

Misconduct while the ball is out of play. A player, must not, while the ball is out of play, commit any misconduct, or obstruct or in any way interfere with an opponent.

Homer-yells-nerd.gif

But point taken! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

London Irish have signed Franks on a 3 year deal. Not a bad signing at all. Gareth Anscombe named in the Wales squad too! Could be interesting

B7yE1V8IAAEJ-5o.jpg

Another classic from Tony Ward, including Seanie in his team of the week for last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

And Conan in the 2nd row.

Demented Mole has a new piece out too

http://dementedmole.com/2015/01/20/the-age-of-aquarius/#more-4013

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Saw that from Ward - Classic

You just reminded me. A similar thing happened to Drew Mitchell in a test match. What made it even worse was he had already received a YC earlier in the match so he got sent off for preventing a quick lineout!!

You just reminded me. A similar thing happened to Drew Mitchell in a test match. What made it even worse was he had already received a YC earlier in the match so he got sent off for preventing a quick lineout!!

Was that a NZ v Oz game?

Cos I think the Oz Captain went to the ref to complain that the Kiwi's were stopping them from taking any quick throws.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Was that a NZ v Oz game?

Cos I think the Oz Captain went to the ref to complain that the Kiwi's were stopping them from taking any quick throws.

Yeah it was NZ v Oz. I can't remember what he got the first card for but I seem to remember thinking it was harsh.

You could be right that the Oz captain complained and the ref issued a warning to both captains that the next player to do it was going in the bin. It just happened to be Mitchell. I think the ref even felt bad but basically said "I warned you so tough sh!t."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

shuffol wrote: »
    And Conan in the 2nd row.

Demented Mole has a new piece out too

http://dementedmole.com/2015/01/20/the-age-of-aquarius/#more-4013

Tony Coached Conan at Gerards, surely he knows what position he plays...

B7yE1V8IAAEJ-5o.jpg

Another classic from Tony Ward, including Seanie in his team of the week for last week.

lol, wut??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement