Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Just read that Karmichael Hunt has been named one of the 2 vice-captains of the Reds this season. His first season of rugby! Seems a bit strange to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Just read that Karmichael Hunt has been named one of the 2 vice-captains of the Reds this season. His first season of rugby! Seems a bit strange to me.

Forgot about him! Really looking forward to seeing how he goes, a many of many sports and much talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    There is little chance of him playing 13 this year. The Tahs already have Ashley-Cooper at 13, and there is no chance of him getting ahead of Kuridrani for Australia. Cheika will not be experimenting in a World Cup year, especially when there is no real alternatives for the 15 shirt at the Tahs.

He will get a chance at the 13 shirt after the World Cup if he stays in Australia due to the mass exodus.

Aussie rugby is half in crisis. Rats leaving a sinking ship springs to mind. Won't be at all surprised if Folau signs for a French club on mega bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Youtube account posting recorded full matches

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCAvllovRyMUGq1oYvr9vQ

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Youtube account posting recorded full matches

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCAvllovRyMUGq1oYvr9vQ

I expect that to last all of a couple of weeks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Alex O’Meara who was part of the irish 20s squad in 2013 part of English students team to play Portugal this weekend http://inattheside.com/england-students-name-team-start-portugal-xv/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Gavin Henson's move to Bristol is confirmed, two-year deal from next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Don't we have a thread exclusively for him somewhere? :)

Wonder if that's subject to a promotion.

I do hope they get promoted, they're putting together a nice squad and theres a few irish players about the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Wonder if that's subject to a promotion.

I do hope they get promoted, they're putting together a nice squad and theres a few irish players about the place.

It's a one year deal not two.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30949459

No he'll go regardless of going up or not. Bristol have Ryan Jones and Dwyane Peel on the books already on big wages so Henson will be just another high roller there.

Bristol have a mega rich owner so can afford it. They get crowds of around 10,000 for some games which is great for the championship. If they do get promoted they'll be getting crowds of 20,000 against the likes of Bath & Gloucester. Try comparing those crowds with London Welsh! Note the owner of the rugby club owns the football club too and is expanding the stadium to 27,000 so it'll be used every weekend during the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Steve Lansdowne. He's another Bruce Craig - worth £1.4 billion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Winters wrote: »
    Steve Lansdowne. He's another Bruce Craig - worth £1.4 billion!

Is he interested in sponsoring an Irish sports stadium?

Morf wrote: »
    Is he interested in sponsoring an Irish sports stadium?

I think his name is actually Lansdown, but it would be quite funny if he bought the RDS's rights...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I think his name is actually Lansdown, but it would be quite funny if he bought the RDS's rights...

Lansdown RoaDS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

a bad post was here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Welp, then there's no rugby union connection at all. On second thoughts, I'll edit that post out

Frank Halai signs for Wasps. Wade on one wing and him on the other, not bad I suppose!

Still only 26 so a bit suprised he's going that early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Welp, then there's no rugby union connection at all. On second thoughts, I'll edit that post out
    b.gud wrote: »
    Oops wrong thread
    Swan Curry wrote: »
    a bad post was here

Do people know that you can just delete posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

I do now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

And what, waste precious opportunities to inflate your post count?!
    deleted

-1 postcount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Frank Halai to Wasps, I was just thinking they were short of hard running high scoring wingers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭phog

Shout-out to knockon.ie for doing a podcast for the Towns Cup of all things! Fair play, a good listen for anyone with any interest in the competition:

http://www.knockon.ie/2015/01/28/podcast-towns-cup-ep-2/

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Shout-out to knockon.ie for doing a podcast for the Towns Cup of all things! Fair play, a good listen for anyone with any interest in the competition:

http://www.knockon.ie/2015/01/28/podcast-towns-cup-ep-2/

i was at the game where our lads beat naas ;)
    hard, hard game....
    our scrum half ended up with a broken jaw and missing a tooth !!

Steffan Armitage and Chiocci have been arrested in connection with an assault.

Armitage has been held and a decision will be made later today on whether to release him. He claims to have no memory of the incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Geoff Parling has signed for Exeter. Bit of a strange move no?

One of Englands smartest players moving to one of England's smartest and most well managed clubs. I am a big fan of Geoff Parling, Rob Baxter and Exeter Chiefs. Him and Munn will be an epic team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

And so it begins again!

I thought it was legally protected FTA in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Can't find the link online but I read something on Facebook yesterday that John Feehan was saying that the Six Nations may move to Pay TV from 2018 on. The BBC are currently paying £160m over 4 years for the rights, given the squeeze on them (and I assume RTE) they could be susceptible next time round.

Given the battle between Sky and BT it's not beyond the realms of possiblity that one or other or both could come up with an offer that is too good to say no to.

I should say that the Six Nations isn't on the main protected events list in the UK so maybe it's different in the Republic? Maybe this won't be an issue outside in Ireland?

Edit - ah feck I spend 5 mins typing that out amd someone just posts a feckin link!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

errlloyd wrote: »
    I thought it was legally protected FTA in Ireland.
    World Cup games must be shown live on free to air. 6 Nations games can be shown deferred on free to air
    http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Broadcasting/Designation+of+sporting+events/

Brendon Leonard to Ospreys confirmed, three year deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

If Leicester want to move forwards with Slater-Kitchener as their long term pairing - and it's a very good one, Parling wouldn't be guaranteed his start - then paying market price for Parling to be their back-up would have been very expensive. As a result, Exeter could offer more money and gametime.

I also suspect that Leicester's last contract for Parling was a lot less than he's worth now and topping that up when they're so close to the cap and other players are due pay bumps might have been hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Whetu

I posted this earlier today. Hope re-posting here doesn't count as spamming.

Charity Challenge Proposal for the Ulster Bank League

Background
    This proposal is grounded in the desire to raise money for IRFU Charitable Trust and increase the coverage and popularity of rugby, the ulster bank league, teams and sponsors. The format for this proposal is based on a successful format that has run for over 111 years and raises gate attendances by over 50% (See Appendix 1).

Charity Challenge Format
    I propose that a Charity Challenge Trophy is commissioned. This Charity Challenge Trophy is initially awarded to the winner of the league (Lansdowne is used in example below). The Charity Challenge Trophy competition is based on a challenge system, rather than a league or knockout competition. The holding club must defend the Charity Challenge Trophy in challenge matches. All home games are mandatory Charity Challenge Trophy matches, with the exception of knockout matches (for example a home based semi-final or home based final). A challenging team must win the match. A draw means the holding team keeps the trophy. Note: The competition for the Charity Challenge Trophy does not require any extra games but relies on existing games within any given league. The Charity Challenge Trophy is based on the Ranfurly Shield in New Zealand Rugby and the Ranfurly Shield has being running since 1904.

Charity Challenge Trophy Sponsorship
    I propose that the sponsorship/naming rights for the Charity Challenge Trophy are sold. I suggest that this be on an annual basis. All the funds raised by this sale are to go to the IRFU Charitable Trust. I suggest that the decision on whom these naming rights/ sponsorship are sold to are based on the agreement of the following stakeholders
    • The sponsor of the National League.
    • The IRFU
    A clear procedure as to how sponsors are chosen must be decided by the IRFU and reviewed on a regular basis. The existing sponsors for the competition must have a right to veto any bidding businesses that compete with them. The IRFU must also have the right to veto any bidding business.

Appeal
    Appendix 2 shows the match results for last season if Lansdowne had being the initial recipient (as winners of the league). As the matches and history develop, I have no doubt that this Charity Challenge Trophy will become as popular in Ireland, as the Ranfurly Shield is in New Zealand. The top teams want to have an unbroken run and the bottom teams just want to win it. For teams outside of the playoffs, it becomes vitally important.

Summary
    I consider this proposal to be a partnership between sports and charity.
    1. The IRFU and holding club receive the extra revenue from increased attendances.
    2. Charity receives the sponsorship money.
    3. Businesses have an opportunity to give money to charity and use sports advertising.
    4. All parties have their profiles and reputations enhanced.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I have listed further points which may be of interest in the Appendices. They consist of the following.
    1. My research.
    2. Last Season Example.

Appendices.
    Appendix 1
    I contacted the last 7 holders of the Ranfurly Shield over the last 5 years, to provide the percentage increase in attendance figures. (Challenge matches versus non-challenge home matches). The following figures were supplied.
    1. Canterbury 40 to 45%.
    2. Southland 56%.
    3. Taranaki rose from a base of between 5000 to 6000 to a minimum of 10,000 and a maximum of 19,000.
    4. Waikato estimated the increase to be 100%.
    5. Otago 267%. (Otago had not won the Ranfurly Shield for 56 years).
    6. Hawkes Bay 57%.
    7. Current Holder Counties did not reply and have never held the Ranfurly Shield before.

Historically 309 of the 652 defences are from 2 teams (Canterbury and Auckland). An estimate of a 50% rise in attendance figures is realistic. The weighted average over the 21 games examined is actually over 90%.

Appendix 2
    2013 -2014 Ulster Bank League example is shown below. Lansdowne were the initial holders as they were the league champions in the previous season

Date Home Score Away Venue
    Sat 28th Sep 13 Lansdowne 14 - 27 UCD Aviva Stadium
    Sat 5th Oct 13 UCD 33 - 26 Old Belvedere Belfield
    Sat 2nd Nov 13 UCD 22 to 7 Dolphin Belfield
    Fri 22nd Nov 13 UCD 16 - 18 St. Mary's College Belfield
    Sat 30th Nov 13 St. Mary's College 24 - 27 Old Belvedere Templeville Road
    Sat 7th Dec 13 Old Belvedere 15 to 5 Garryowen Anglesea Road
    Sat 25th Jan 14 Old Belvedere 22 - 22 St. Mary's College Anglesea Road
    Fri 31st Jan 14 Old Belvedere 19 - 13 Lansdowne Anglesea Road
    Sat 15th Mar 14 Old Belvedere 34 - 12 Young Munster Anglesea Road
    Sat 22nd Mar 14 Old Belvedere 19 to 8 UCD Anglesea Road
    Sat 12th Apr 14 Old Belvedere 21 - 15 Dolphin Anglesea Road

Sarel Pretorius signs for NG Dragons: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/31054126

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

Would it be worth starting a petition now to keep the 6nations on free-to-air TV?

At the moment it gets deferred coverage, but ministers have to review the list of events designated as events of 'major importance to society' every three years. Which puts it at somewhere in 2017, with the TV deal running out in 2018.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/2014/Minister+Rabbitte+announces+review+of+TV+coverage+of+Designated+Sporting+and+Other+Events.htm

Fabien Barcella is to leave Toulon with immediate effect and sign with Grenoble. The move had been in the works for the end of the season. He couldn't get a game for Toulon with Chiocci, Menini and now Fresia. For a year or so with France he was one of the best looseheads around but it looks like a succession of injuries have left him a shadow of what he was.

http://fcgrugby.com/index.php/a-la-une/6084-fabien-barcella-a-grenoble-des-maintenant#.VMtpTMspWHs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Whetu wrote: »
    I posted this earlier today. Hope re-posting here doesn't count as spamming.

Charity Challenge Proposal for the Ulster Bank League

This is an outstanding idea. Would be a great way to increase interest in the club game.
    I love the Ranfurly Shield. I believe its a bigger deal than winning the NPC back in NZ and I know a lot of fans feel that way.

I mentioned in another thread that they could do something similar with the old inter-pro trophy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Martin Landajo and Guido Petti become the first Argentinians to sign for the new Argentinian Super Rugby club.

http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrugby/news/landajo-petti-commit-to-argentinas-team/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Crikey the Times are running with a headline of
    Rhys Webb brings fresh twist to Warrenball at scrumhalf for Wales

for one of their articles tomorrow!

Warrenball....really??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Looks like EOS's Biarritz are playing for a playoff spot in D2 as they lost at home to Pau by 0-20, I think their first loss at home.

Pau are now top 15 points ahead of Biarritz who are in second and there's only 4 points between second and fourth

La rochelle just beat Clermont

dont know if this was mentioned here already but.....

http://www.superxv.com/43502/6/aru-hope-to-lure-2017-b-and-i-lions-to-australia
    The Australian Rugby Union have revealed that they are hoping to lure the 2017 British and Irish Lions to Australia for a tour warm up match.

I could only see it happening if it was the first game, like the BaaBaa's in Hong Kong last time around, but then where will Oz get a team from for that weekend?

The Super 15 or Super 18 I think it will be by then prob won't have a free weekend that weekend and so where will they get the players from?

I can't see The Lions wanting to play a strong team either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Possible Lions match v USA or France

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...up-new-zealand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Crikey the Times are running with a headline of

for one of their articles tomorrow!

Warrenball....really??

Gawd, everyone knows its Gatlandball.

Or Cementball when Wales lose

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Martin Landajo and Guido Petti become the first Argentinians to sign for the new Argentinian Super Rugby club.

http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrugby/news/landajo-petti-commit-to-argentinas-team/

I see from this blog the Argentinian side are signing a load more players. Great the UAR can keep players at home.

http://rugbyworldcup-argentina2023.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/super-rugby-five-more-sign-for.html#more

This will be great for professional rugby in the country. If it's a success in BA I'm sure Mendoza will have a Super Rugby team in about 5 years.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Salford City Reds owner Marwan Koukash today is quoted as saying on BBC radio show 5 live ‘There’s only one rugby and that’s rugby league’

I’m a little surprised he still so enthusiastic about the sport and his club given he was extremely disappointed about the terrible pre-season amount of tickets sold, less than 1,000. This is truly shocking as the club is in the League heartland just off the M62 in the North of England.

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12207/9547919/super-league-marwan-koukash-disappointed-with-salford-red-devils-2015-season-ticket-sales

Given that a Union team rent out his ground and get a much higher crowd thus bringing in much valued income I wouldn’t be shouting my mouth of as much!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement