Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Women playing? Any update

7-0 last I heard, Briggs and converted her try

Edit.. 20-0 now

Wang King wrote: »
    7-0 last I heard, Briggs and converted her try

Edit.. 20-0 now

Edit... All over 5-30 second half was easy by all accounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

dregin wrote: »
    So the 6 Nations is Hook's last stint. I'll be sorry to see him go. He does seem like a nice bloke, even if his punditry is a little bit "out there" at times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/six-nations-2015-last-call-for-mr-hook-1.2089502

Hook would tailor his provocativeness accordingly.

Watch him doing a Leinster away game in Italy and he would make valid points on the game/team(s).

Watch him doing Ireland in 6N and expect bluster, quotes from the bible/memories of rugby yore and ridiculous orations.

If he ever did Ireland in a RWC final he'd break our internets.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Women playing? Any update

Saw some of it. Ireland looked pretty good overall. Made metres in the contact almost every single time. And I don't mean just 1 or 2, it was often an extra 5m. Good defensive line out but I thought at times they were a little ambitious on their own line outs. They are stacking their own ruck and using the back 3 as a pod peeling off the back regularly which left them a bit short when they went wide but was very effective in tight. Line out maul was a real strength. They managed to drive over the line from a good 15-20m out but bodies prevented a grounding.

The Italians were ambitious too and looked to go through the hands a lot. Their execution let them down though and they never looked like getting the better of Ireland. They also gave away penalty after penalty in their own half.

Given that Ireland have a new coach and midfield plus they've changed a lot about the general set-up it was a good start. But it'll be interesting to see how they go over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Assuming England beat Italy, nothing we do against France will be good enough to reclaim third spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah, the system can be funny some times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Assuming England beat Italy, nothing we do against France will be good enough to reclaim third spot.

Did you take into account France being home?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Did you take into account France being home?
    They aren't.

dregin wrote: »
    They aren't.

right my head has gone to crap today, yeah nothin we do against France will have a significant positive effect on the rankings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Just have to beat England so. If we can't beat England at home there can be no complaints about ranking behind them.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ranking shmranking...

The only ranking that counts is who lifts the William Webb Ellis cup next Halloween.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I can remember winning a match 79-0 at u18 or so but this is just ridiculous

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/31319836
    Royal Kituro beat Soignies 356-3 Belgium's top division at the weekend scoring 56 tries and 38 conversions

I can remember winning a match 79-0 at u18 or so but this is just ridiculous

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/31319836
    Royal Kituro beat Soignies 356-3 Belgium's top division at the weekend scoring 56 tries and 38 conversions

What I laughed out loud at was the fact tha Soignjes are still ahead on the league table! That's just insane.

I'm just not quite sure how you can manage to do that. Must've been no tackling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

.ak wrote: »
    I'm just not quite sure how you can manage to do that. Must've been no tackling?

They were protesting. Match officials showed up 90 minutes late and forced them to play. I believe the consequences of a forfeit were worse than losing.

Edit: and I happen to think it was a successful protest, they've gained international coverage, that ref will get a bollocking.

errlloyd wrote: »
    They were protesting. Match officials showed up 90 minutes late and forced them to play. I believe the consequences of a forfeit were worse than losing.

Its my understanding the the league's point system is 4 points for a win, 2 for a draw 1 for a contested loss and 0 for a forfeit.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How did they get the three points?

How did they get the three points?

drop goal

Shoulda scored more

• Advertisement

The point they got from playing has ensured they stayed ahead of Kituro

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The real question is how bad is their kicker? That's a lot of missed conversions.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The real question is how bad is their kicker? That's a lot of missed conversions.

Maybe they let the props have a shot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

No easy games in the Belgium top league..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Leicester have signed Opeti Fonua for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Some footage from the Belgium game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leicester have signed Opeti Fonua for next season.

It didn't work out with him at all at Bayonne for some reason.

Elsewhere in random transfer news, James Downey is gone to Wasps for the rest of the season:
    http://www.wasps.co.uk/news/article/2015/02/10/personnel-update

• Advertisement

Elsewhere in random transfer news, James Downey is gone to Wasps for the rest of the season:
    http://www.wasps.co.uk/news/article/2015/02/10/personnel-update

He barely got a look in with Glasgow: http://www.pro12rugby.com/teams/glasgow/squad.php?player=4630&includeref=dynamic

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

When you look back at Downey it's all been a bit mad.

He was first choice at Munster, they haven't really replaced him, and he moved to a club with some very good centres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

b.gud wrote: »
    Some footage from the Belgium game

Surely bad form from the home side to keep running up scores given that the opposition had a seemingly legitimate grievance for their protest. Should have just left the ball in play and let the clock run down.

shuffol wrote: »
    Surely bad form from the home side to keep running up scores given that the opposition had a seemingly legitimate grievance for their protest. Should have just left the ball in play and let the clock run down.

Not just bad form, but playing into the hands of the opposition. They wanted this protest to go viral, a score of 100-0 wouldn't have been enough.

Of course it is possible both teams were attempting to run up the score.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Not just bad form, but playing into the hands of the opposition. They wanted this protest to go viral, a score of 100-0 wouldn't have been enough.

Of course it is possible both teams were attempting to run up the score.

Paddy Powers in Belgium got maced ?!

Wang King wrote: »
    Paddy Powers in Belgium got maced ?!

I was suggesting that both teams were pissed off at the officials, and conspired to make sure the story got international attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Rugbydump tweeted this link a short while ago. It a comment explaining what happened from someone who was supposedly involved in the game

http://www.rugbydump.com/2015/02/4083/belgian-rugby-club-scores-over-350-points-in-bizarre-club-fixture#comment292545

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Jesus, I got utterly nailed on the fantasy rugby. Left Sexton in for no apparent reason and had 5 others score zero points. FML.

Rugbyrama is saying Piri Weepu could sign for La Rochelle immediately and London Welsh are happy to let him go as they have major financial problems, with some players not paid for a month. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Setanta just had a 30 min show on Alain Rolland there. Quality moment in the Munster v Ulster game where Rolland is going to the TMO to try and figure out which Munster player used his hands in the ruck - "can you get me a number, cause if you can he's going in the bin". TMO couldn't get the number. Diack asks for a card to be shown and he tells Robbie Diack that he would card the player if he knew who it was. Then POM walks up and tells him "It was me".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Did he bin him?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

No, once he saw it again he changed his mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Did he bin him?!

No. He had a laugh with the touch-judge after the game and said something along the lines of "I could hardly bin him when he told me it was him".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

There's something fierce likeable and decent about POM to the extent that he has to leave his emotions out of the situation more. Coming clean like that is extremely honourable but hardly going to benefit his team.

He gave an interview after the Saracens game where he was close to tears saying that they had let their families down. A follow up interview on Newstalk a few days later and you could hear the emotion in his voice still. Hopefully with more time he'll be able to process those moments a bit more rather than take things on himself so much (as long as it doesn't diminish what he is as a player).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Pau now eying up McCaw, that would be a massive signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

That would be insane. A dark day for the sport tbh if a z-list French club with no internationals can buy the biggest player in world rugby.

It would be interesting to see how Richie performs out of his comfort zone. Obviously an incredible player from a very young age, but he's always been able to rely on having a full team of world class players at his side for both international and club matches.

That would be insane. A dark day for the sport tbh if a z-list French club with no internationals can buy the biggest player in world rugby.

you do know conrad smith is joining them.. yeah ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If a team wants to be competitive in the Top 14 they need to bring in quality players.

It's a good thing that those players are not only within reach of a handful of clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

sydthebeat wrote: »
    you do know conrad smith is joining them.. yeah ?

Yeah, but he's pretty much retiring from top level rugby and has been winding down his career for a while now.

McCaw, although he's certainly reaching the end of his career, is still a nailed-on starter for both the Crusaders and the All Blacks

Yeah, but he's pretty much retiring from top level rugby and has been winding down his career for a while now.

McCaw, although he's certainly reaching the end of his career, is still a nailed-on starter for both the Crusaders and the All Blacks

Really? I have them at about the same level. No one really has taken that 13 jersey off Conrad imo.

Marwan Koukash, the owner of that Salford rugby league team who recently came out saying there was only one type of rugby (he meant league). He tweeted "I've had enough" while his team got walloped conceding 50 points. It's only the second game of the seasons, so it brought a smile to my face.

I have no problem with billionaire owners, but they should keep to themselves.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement