Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Seriously thinking of going to this. The stadiums look immense. The country looks like a decent size to tour over four weeks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

b.gud wrote: »

Typical home town ref. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

.ak wrote: »
    Typical home town ref. ;)

Didn't he do something similar when he was reffing the Leinster v Munster game?
    ;)

Wang King wrote: »
    Didn't he do something similar when he was reffing the Leinster v Munster game?
    ;)

Yeah he was the assist for the BOD try. Think he kicked the conversion too.

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah he was the assist for the BOD try. Think he kicked the conversion too.

It was a bit much when he steamrolled ROG though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Was tempted to wait until end of season to ask this but when is it can you say you go to waaaaaaay too much rugby games in a season(not including games watched live on tv). Im including all 15 a side games ive played/coached/refereed/watched(predominantly amateur games) and im at around 80 games so far this season and we're into finals months with probably 20 or so more games i'll referee/coach teams in or be an active participant in. I know its well more than most but about what numbrs are most people at as a comparison.......

I haven't played or made it to watch one game this season!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

French lock Pascale Pape has failed in his appeal against a 10-week suspension for kneeing Ireland's Jamie Heaslip.
    Pape smashed his knee into Heaslip's back as he hit a ruck in the second half of France's 18-11 defeat in Dublin last month, causing the Ireland number eight three cracked vertebrae.
    "The Appeal Committee, having considered submissions on behalf of the player and on behalf of the Six Nations Disciplinary Officer, dismissed the appeal with the result that the original sanction of a 10-week suspension stands, with Pascal Pape able to return to play on 18 May 2015," organisers said in a statement.
    Pape missed the 20-13 loss to Wales in Paris on Saturday and will sit out France's final two Six Nations matches away to Italy and England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Was tempted to wait until end of season to ask this but when is it can you say you go to waaaaaaay too much rugby games in a season(not including games watched live on tv). Im including all 15 a side games ive played/coached/refereed/watched(predominantly amateur games) and im at around 80 games so far this season and we're into finals months with probably 20 or so more games i'll referee/coach teams in or be an active participant in. I know its well more than most but about what numbrs are most people at as a comparison.......

Is that all? If you're going to get involved in rugby then you should properly commit. 100+ live rugby matches in a season and you call yourself a rugby fan!?

I watch way more than that.... From the comfort of my couch or a stool in the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

Ive noticed over the last few games the use of the forearm by the player about to be tackled.
    I know the hand off is legal but a lot of players including the irish lads almost lash out against the tacklers head as he moves in for the tackle.

Vunipola nailed sexton at one stage with one in the second half. He was down for a while. Anyone else seen this? Is it legal or are the refs just ignoring it?

Maybe I'm out of touch or just plain wrong having long since forgotten my glory days of playing but I thought Dan Cole's 'fend' on Cian Healy was more like a forearm smash. I don't believe that would have been legal in my day. That's also being kind about sticking his head on Healy too

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Pape's appeal has ben rejected.Infact by the sound of things it was pretty much chucked out no questions asked. Good decision there can be no position of tolerence taken on an foul of that nature in any sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Brilliant game going on at Kingsholm. 30-23 to Gloucester against Northampton, 30 to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Brilliant game going on at Kingsholm. 30-23 to Gloucester against Northampton, 30 to go

Best game of the season so far. Hope Gloucester don't lose it after building up that big lead at half time and just after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Premiership is great entertainment. Very unfair reputation it's the best league to watch in Europe. All started so well for Welsh, 12-6 up after 20, now 74-19 to Exeter.

James Downey on BT2 for Wasps

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I didn't know he'd moved to Wasps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

aimee1 wrote: »

No real issue with that to be honest, born in Wales resident in England, choice is theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

aimee1 wrote: »
    One of those two - Callum Sheedy - is also eligible for Ireland and played with the Irish Exiles at under 18 level in the youths competition and with them at 19s level and also played for an under 19 Irish 7s side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

One of those two - Callum Sheedy - is also eligible for Ireland and played with the Irish Exiles at under 18 level in the youths competition and with them at 19s level and also played for an under 19 Irish 7s side

I knew I recognised the name!

I think it's completely up to these guys who they represent, however I'd also point out that I think this decision (on their part) is driven by financial reasons, and I think it might lead to Wales questioning the merits of nominating their u20 team as a their 2nd side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think it might lead to Wales questioning the merits of nominating their u20 team as a their 2nd side.

Yeah, I always wondered about this policy. I think it screwed over one of the Shingler brothers right? Have Ireland ever lost a player who represented us at U-20 level to another country?

A lovely pronunciation of Clondalkin here :D

Nyoom Barnhall

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is this what tries are like at j5 level?

Yes, only slower.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »

Is this what tries are like at j5 level?

Ards are a shambles this year so it's not that much of a surprise that someone should score after 21 seconds. Mind you Tullamore's handling of that restart/kick off was INITIALLY terrible for any level never mind an AIL 2B match! Worked out ok for them I suppose!

Just watching that clip makes my hamstrings twinge!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

errlloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, I always wondered about this policy. I think it screwed over one of the Shingler brothers right? Have Ireland ever lost a player who represented us at U-20 level to another country?

Steve Shingler is the one who got screwed. I hate the practice by which some U20 teams are considered binding and some aren't - just a mad inconsistency.

Timo Swiel withdrew from the SA squad for the last JWC in order to stay eligible for England too iirc.

Paul Doran-Jones represented you guys back when it was U21, right? Only one I can think of in answer to your question, although Brookes and Seymour both played age grade for Ireland (well, presumably Seymour did).

Shane Geraghty played underage for Ireland too I think but not to U20 level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's not even just that only some U20 teams count, it only counts when they play certain teams. Both teams have to be their national sides next representative team so playing for Wales U20 vs Ireland U20 wouldn't make you ineligible but if they played france it would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭croket

CSM Bucharest signed 13 players for the next season :

- Heroshi Tea (prop, 5 caps for Samoa)
    - Alex Gordas (prop, Worcester)
    - Silviu Vasiliu (prop, played in European Challenge Cup this season)
    - Kamil Sobota (prop, Cluj)
    - Sefo Sakalia (hooker, Tonga A)
    - Junior Taavili (lock, Randwick - Australia)
    - Andrei Romanov (lock, Moldovan international)
    - Daniel Carpo (eightman, 50 caps for Romania)
    - Phillip Tuigamala (scrumhalf, Samoa 7's)
    - Jonetani Ralulu (flyhalf, 15 caps for Fiji)
    - Andrew Suniula (centre, 33 caps for USA, London Wasps)
    - Alfie Paea (centre, Tonga A, Randwick - Australia)
    - Mateo Malupo (fullback, 4 caps for Tonga, 20 ITM Cup caps)

Almost expected to see Billy Ngwini pop up on that kind of list! #bringhimbackMOC #mostelectrifyingmaninsportsleinstertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭timaru89

Any recommendations for decent (preferably Irish) podcasts?

This schools rugby photo perfectly sums up the absolute agony of losing a big game
    http://jrnl.ie/1985182

Brilliant photo

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Talk about genetic advantage. It's just not fair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Wingers hate him

timaru89 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for decent (preferably Irish) podcasts?

Second Captains do Rugby amongst other things

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/second-captains

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

• Advertisement

I wonder what "far in excess" means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

icdg wrote: »

Fair play to the Premiership but from our point of view this will be disastrous if the English clubs have even more money at their disposal. The fight is only ever going to get harder. I don't care what anyone says but we really need to join these guys in a British and Irish League, not that it's even on the table obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Very enjoyable LV Cup semi today - Exeter had great win in Leicester 33-22.
    Sets up a Sarries v Chiefs final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I'm sure many of us read his book, here's an update on Matt Hampson

http://m.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/31871066

I wonder what "far in excess" means

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/31902745
    Premiership Rugby Ltd and BT Sport have announced a new six-year contract for exclusive live rights, understood to be worth around 80% more than the current agreement.

80% more?! Are you kidding me? I guess we're going to see a huge increase in their salary caps from the beginning of this deal.

bilston wrote: »
    Fair play to the Premiership but from our point of view this will be disastrous if the English clubs have even more money at their disposal. The fight is only ever going to get harder. I don't care what anyone says but we really need to join these guys in a British and Irish League, not that it's even on the table obviously.

It seems McCafferty is opposed to the idea to some extent at least:
    "As I understand it, the Pro 12 is starting to invest further in the development of the resources to promote that competition, and that's welcome because it's very important that Europe has three strong leagues.

"We've done more than our bit in terms of making sure the commercial values of the new European competitions reach new highs. That all helps the Pro 12 teams."

Also interesting to see that relegation may not be entirely a thing of the past. I wonder what "more creative" actually means.
    McCafferty has also confirmed plans are well underway to expand the Premiership, in the process temporarily scrapping promotion and relegation.

"Teams need a certain amount of time to prepare for life in the Premiership," he said.

"We'll discuss that with the RFU, and if that means the Premiership expands by a club or two over the next few years, then so be it if that's in the interests of rugby."

However, McCafferty says Championship clubs can still aspire for Premiership status, in the same way Exeter have successfully bridged the gap between the two leagues.

"It must be possible for us to look at more creative ways to allow the possibility for the Exeters to come through, but not to throw clubs in at the deep end who aren't possibly ready for life in the Premiership."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭OldRio

I would hazard a guess. For 'more creative' read 'if you have a bucket load of cash yer in'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Edinburgh scrum half Grayson Hart is moving to Glasgow Warriors next season.

Rumours around that Visser is off to Harlequins too, not been great for a while but Edinburgh could still do with him.

OldRio wrote: »
    I would hazard a guess. For 'more creative' read 'if you have a bucket load of cash yer in'

Well that's how it is currently pretty much, with the licensing system, I'm more interested in how the mechanics of it will work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

razorblunt wrote: »
    Edinburgh scrum half Grayson Hart is moving to Glasgow Warriors next season.

Rumours around that Visser is off to Harlequins too, not been great for a while but Edinburgh could still do with him.

Visser's try count has fallen off alright: http://www.pro12rugby.com/teams/edinburgh/squad.php?player=19466&includeref=dynamic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some good news for Treviso for a change: Alessandro Zanni has signed a 3 year deal to stay on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement