Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It opens a complete can of worms regarding contesting the ball and accidentally connecting with an airborne or unexpecting player. The only real difference is that you're generally making a real effort to go for the ball which Hughes couldn't have been (and if he was, that's illegal in itself).

The other downside is that this completely undermines a young and promising referee who had to deal with 20 stone, 6'5" tank remonstrating with him while sticking to his guns.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

What "additional evidence" I wonder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

If it's being overturned, Wasps can feel slightly aggrieved that it was deemed not a punishable offence yet they lost Hughes for their biggest game of the season.
    Was the ban totally overturned or reduced to a week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

sydthebeat wrote: »
    What "additional evidence" I wonder

Nathan Hughes said " I'm really really really sorry" :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Right decision imo. Shouldn't have been a ban in the first place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Hagz wrote: »

Whaaaaaaaatttttt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hagz wrote: »

Currently bans/punishments are being judged based on the impact on the victim. North was knocked out and you say there should be no suspension?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

While having no particular brief one way or the other - I see merit in both sides of the argument - I find the ruling absolutely ludicrous when placed besides other recent disciplinary matters and am close to completely perplexed as to what rules the game are being played under.

World Rugby need to act very, very quickly to establish a clear framework on dangerous play or the sport risks becoming a laughing stock.

It's more likely we'll get another secret memo making big changes to the game that spectators are not really aware of until there's been another massive controversy - again.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ban overturned cause he doesn't play for Ulster.

What a farce. This sort of thing really pisses me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I also think he shouldn't have beem banned in the first place.

What eastmond did to McFadden was more worthy of a ban imo and wasn't even looked at.

awec wrote: »
    Ban overturned cause he doesn't play for Ulster.

What a farce. This sort of thing really pisses me off.

You've a right to feel aggrieved. LM is a few weeks into a 5 week ban for a very, very similar incident.

It may be just an impression I have (and if I get time I'll do some searching to support) but I'm beginning to think that the Pro12 is by far the harshest league in terms of suspensions. The leagues whose disciplinary committees are domestic seem to be kinder to those in the dock, particularly in the Aviva Premiership, who don't appear to take these incidents as seriously.

Hartley, for example, has an atrocious record and copped only 3 weeks for an elbow to the face in recent times. Tuilagi received 5 weeks for attacking Chris Ashton in a manner that would have him in prison if on the street. Calum Clark got a 32 week suspension for purposely breaking another player's arm (including the summer months so missed only April, May, September and October). It wasn't his first suspension and he should have been given 18 months.

Interestingly, the man who rescinded Hughes' ban was also the same man (it was a one man committee) who only gave Hartley 3 weeks for the elbow. On that occasion, Summers listened to the case via conference call (!) and deemed it only the low-end, entry point level of offence. A conference call with a one man panel to judge on a high level incident seems to be quite dismissive to my mind.

I believe if those incidents were in the Pro12, we'd see significantly longer bans. Was Luke Marshall's incident deserving of the same as Manu Tuilagi's assault?

.ak wrote: »
    What eastmond did to McFadden was more worthy of a ban imo and wasn't even looked at.

It was interesting and quite unusual to hear McFadden comment on it at an event during the week. He said he was disappointed the incident wasn't looked at by Garces at the time. He said it was entirely accidental but felt the tackle was definitely worthy of at least being reviewed. Instead, he was deemed to have knocked on which is pretty silly. An unconscious player dropping the ball should be instant stoppage and restart with a scrum to team in possession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Billy v cited for striking with his head. Could miss sarries semi final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Vunipola cleared to play against Clermont

I didn't see the incident and haven't been able to find it on Youtube so can anyone tell me if this is fair enough or is this another example of Buer's claim that the AP are pretty lenient?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »
    It may be just an impression I have (and if I get time I'll do some searching to support) but I'm beginning to think that the Pro12 is by far the harshest league in terms of suspensions. The leagues whose disciplinary committees are domestic seem to be kinder to those in the dock, particularly in the Aviva Premiership, who don't appear to take these incidents as seriously.?

Just saw this one, but I think the difference with the AP is to do with their relationship with the RFU. The Hughes appeal was heard by an independent panel appointed by the RFU rather than the league. I'm not really sure who handles that stuff in France but I believe it's the FFR there as well, whereas the international nature of the Pro 12 makes things quite different for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Ian McKinley has been chosen for the latest Barbarians squad playing against a local Scottish club.

bilston wrote: »
    Vunipola cleared to play against Clermont

I didn't see the incident and haven't been able to find it on Youtube so can anyone tell me if this is fair enough or is this another example of Buer's claim that the AP are pretty lenient?
    Fat chance someone playing for BT Sport Saracens was ever going to get banned! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Peter O'Mahony will be on Second Captains tonight.

Andy Lee is also on so I'm guessing he'll be the main interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Peter O'Mahony will be on Second Captains tonight.

Andy Lee is also on so I'm guessing he'll be the main interview.

Who is Andy Lee?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

jacothelad wrote: »
    Who is Andy Lee?

Maybe a joke, but really?

• Advertisement

jacothelad wrote: »
    Who is Andy Lee?

He's a boxer.

Represented Ireland at the 04 Olympics and is now a WBO World Champion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Bernard Foley the first Aussie to sign a "flexible" contract with the ARU, to allow him to play in Japan and remain eligible for national selection:
    http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/waratahs/bernard-foley-japanbound-between-three-more-seasons-with-waratahs-20150416-1mm4sr.html

Bad news for the franchises?

its_phil wrote: »
    Maybe a joke, but really?

I genuinely didn't know either!

I genuinely didn't know either!

For balance, I'd say a lot of people on here don't know who Carl Frampton is either.

Before winning the title (which was pretty small news, relatively) I only knew Andy Lee because he features now and again on Off The Ball and was involved in punditry in the last Olympics.

i remember andy from the 2004 olympics where he was cruelly decided against in his second bout.
    amazingly he was our only boxer that year !

compared to 2008 where we sent 5 and had 3 medalists
    and 2012 where we sent 6 and had 4 medalist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Bernard Foley the first Aussie to sign a "flexible" contract with the ARU, to allow him to play in Japan and remain eligible for national selection:
    http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/waratahs/bernard-foley-japanbound-between-three-more-seasons-with-waratahs-20150416-1mm4sr.html

Bad news for the franchises?

Not for the franchises no. Aussie with a potentially weaker side for their autumn internationals though. But of course full strength NH sides downunder in June is more the exception than the rule these days. We are heading to soccer lads with increasingly less meaningful international fixtures although the 6N looks safe for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Declan Fitzpatrick has been forced to retire due to head injuries

Jesus. Crappy news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Wang King wrote: »
    Declan Fitzpatrick has been forced to retire due to head injuries

:(

Shít, that's awful news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

• Advertisement

Poor Deccie Fitz,

At least he had an absolute stormer in the 14 mins of his final Ireland Cap (vs none other than NZ).

:(

(3 of his 7 caps were v NZ!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Has he brought this up now, or is it only that Leinster are struggling this year? Or is it down to the new RCC format?

To be honest once the Six Nations are over I think the provinces should be given total control of the players to play when they like. There are no Ireland games now until August (Barbarians game is less important than a Pro 12 play off or a Inter Pro game IMO) so why not just let the players play. They will have June and July to rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

To be honest once the Six Nations are over I think the provinces should be given total control of the players to play when they like. There are no Ireland games now until August (Barbarians game is less important than a Pro 12 play off or a Inter Pro game IMO) so why not just let the players play. They will have June and July to rest.

They were only rested the first week after the 6 Nations though so is it really that big a deal?

molloyjh wrote: »
    They were only rested the first week after the 6 Nations though so is it really that big a deal?

I've no problem with that, but did Leinster not rest players last weekend as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I've no problem with that, but did Leinster not rest players last weekend as well?

Was that not MOC's own choice with Toulon & Ulster to come? Leinster really should have been good enough to beat Dragons with the team they put out, they had it within their grasp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Was that not MOC's own choice with Toulon & Ulster to come? Leinster really should have been good enough to beat Dragons with the team they put out, they had it within their grasp.

If Leinster can only play the guys under the Player Management system 8 games a season then the choice is being taken out of Leinster's hands.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    It is understood that the provincial coaches can only play their centrally contracted players in a maximum of eight regular-season league games in each campaign, meaning O'Connor was faced with a choice between playing his front-liners against the Dragons last Sunday or against Ulster tomorrow week.

To me it was both

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

8 league games is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Podge_irl wrote: »
    8 league games is a joke.

Is it though?

8 regular season Pro12 + 6 ERCC pool games + 5 Six Nations + 2 AIs + 2 Summer Tour = 23 games.

Add to that whatever knock out games the province makes and you're generally looking at 25+ games.

Leinster have 22 regular season games + 6 ERCC pool games, which is 28 games. Add in the knock-outs and it's 30+.

So internationals are playing approximately 5 games less per season than Leinster do as a whole. Given the higher intensity involved in the games they play in that doesn't strike me as being that bad at all really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

molloyjh wrote: »
    Is it though?

Yes.

I'm not talking about from a player perspective here, but if the international players can really only play in 8 league games its helping to undermine all the progress that has been made with the league. And it's applied far too rigidly for my liking as well.

It's pretty stupid. It's in no way an excuse for Leinster's poor showings and they had more than enough on the field to win last weekend. With that said, if you've a do or die game that impacts heavily on next season then you need to be flexible on this.

Jamie Heaslip, by his standards, has not played a huge amount of rugby this year (only 2.5 games in the 6N and limited time in January). The presence of just one or two guys like him would have meant Leinster would still be in the Pro12 mix at the moment.

To put that in context, the French internationals are restricted to 30 games assuming no injuries. That includes the summer tour of the previous season, so some players started this season with 3/30 games already played.

8 league games is a joke. It makes a mockery out of the league and while I don't want the players to be flogged is there any evidence to suggest that this prevents injuries? I don't see how a one size fits all policy can work. Surely you need a case-by-case basis to factor in age, position, injury risk/history etc.

Yep, my feelings are the same on this; I believe we do need a player welfare scheme but I don't think it's flexible enough.

• Advertisement

the current system simply doesnt reflect the seismic shift we've had with this years league where every game counts.
    it has to change

also, does "time on pitch" count towards game splayed ie does 2 halves = 1 whole game?

centrally contracted players also wouldnt make up the majority of the summer tour games, usually players coming back from injury or up and coming players would be picked first

so @ 22 league round games per season before knockouts, only playing 8 is a measly 36% of games.
    not good enough for your bread and butter job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

If you actually read Easterby's comments, and I suspect many people didn't, they are about as uncontroversial bordering on dull as you could imagine:
    You find things out as the season unfolds with the new structure. If that means it leads to a discussion at the end of the season about how it can be improved, how changes can be made that aren't detrimental to anyone, but work well for everyone, then discussions will take place.
    You're not going to get it right the first year. As long as people are prepared to have discussions, I think we can make it a working format.

Just typical Indo clickbait.

Surprised to see that Connacht stat

t1aoDBw.png

White, Ah You, Heenan, Naupou, Nikora, Muliana, and Aki

McCartney too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

That chart is slightly misleading IMO.

If I knew nothing about Connacht rugby I would read it as Connacht have 7 All blacks when in fact we have 7 New Zealanders but only1 All Black

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement