Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

8/22 does seem very low... has that always been the case? Certain players do need a rest, of course and in general, it works very well but that's not very flexible.

And it's one thing when Irish teams were reaching the HC final and we were also resting players for that. But if Munster and Ulster were forced to rest players as they're attempting to get a home semi-final, just seems a bit silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zebre have signed Luke Burgess on a two year deal. Not a bad signing!

The Australian SH? That's a great signing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Flip that is some signing. Leinster wouldn't have turned their noses up at him. Good to see. Zebre seem to be moving in the right direction. Shame Treviso are going the other way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

For Zebre he's a good signing but I'm not sure if he would be for Leinster.

I always found him a bit flaky in the bigger games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

So Edinburgh re-train McInally as hooker for two seasons and then throw him in as flanker in the semi final of a European competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

razorblunt wrote: »
    So Edinburgh re-train McInally as hooker for two seasons and then throw him in as flanker in the semi final of a European competition.

I remember Leinster needed to do the same with Strauss in the ML final against Ospreys. I suppose even if you're being consigned to the ugly depths of the front row you don't lose all of your class and skill overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Did Ross ford ever play in the back row? He's built more like a flanker than a hooker.

I remember Leinster needed to do the same with Strauss in the ML final against Ospreys. I suppose even if you're being consigned to the ugly depths of the front row you don't lose all of your class and skill overnight.

No, of course not but it's a waste of his skills, I think he played hooker underage but he was a decent flanker and didn't really need the move.
    Strange one.

Oh and another thing, hopefully this is the wake up call for Cotter and Co to start SHC, he's a player.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    For Zebre he's a good signing but I'm not sure if he would be for Leinster.

I always found him a bit flaky in the bigger games.

You could definitely argue that he's a step above both Reddan & Boss though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

b.gud wrote: »
    That chart is slightly misleading IMO.

If I knew nothing about Connacht rugby I would read it as Connacht have 7 All blacks when in fact we have 7 New Zealanders but only1 All Black

And of them White and Ah You have been capped for Ireland, Aki is a project player, Muliaina and Nikora are leaving for Zebre at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Nikora going to Italy as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Nikora going to Italy as well?

Not confirmed yet but it seems likely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Fireball07 wrote: »
    You could definitely argue that he's a step above both Reddan & Boss though.

If he is I'd say not by much tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Don't know why Burgess wasn't involved more with the wallabies, anytime i saw him he impressed me. Sure he doesn't even start for the rebels which I find odd. Would've been a handy signing for Leinster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

C'mon Chiefs! Their fans are the English version of the Montferrandais - great fun and passionate bunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

that might sort out a head ache for hansen

would he have brought barrett, carter, cruden AND slade?
    now he has barrett as probably the starter with carter and slade vying for a bench position as both cover various positions.
    probably Barrett / carter for the big games, but carter will need to up his game considerably and im not sure if he can do that at 12.

sopoaga as a bolter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    that might sort out a head ache for hansen

would he have brought barrett, carter, cruden AND slade?
    now he has barrett as probably the starter with carter and slade vying for a bench position as both cover various positions.
    probably Barrett / carter for the big games, but carter will need to up his game considerably and im not sure if he can do that at 12.

sopoaga as a bolter?

Sort of a blessing in disguise. Cruden is excellent at taking on the line especially behind a dominant pack and his general kicking and defence is fine. But his goal kicking is really poor for an international 10: too inaccurate and not enough distance. My preference is Barrett/Slade.

Curse of the NZ fly halves in rwc year. Again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Sort of a blessing in disguise. Cruden is excellent at taking on the line especially behind a dominant pack and his general kicking and defence is fine. But his goal kicking is really poor for an international 10: too inaccurate and not enough distance. My preference is Barrett/Slade.

We're gonna batter yis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

That makes me feel ill tbh. Can we just put johnny on ice now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

We're gonna batter yis

We'll have lost to Argentina in pool play :pac:

Just realised (maybe I knew this before and forgot) I've been blocked by Stephen Jones (the journalist not the Wasps coach) on Twitter.
    I wonder if it was due to me having a go at his beloved Tom Huddlestone or complaining about the standard of his articles.
    Knowing him, it's probably the former.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Just realised (maybe I knew this before and forgot) I've been blocked by Stephen Jones (the journalist not the Wasps coach) on Twitter.
    I wonder if it was due to me having a go at his beloved Tom Huddlestone or complaining about the standard of his articles.

It's a right of passage as an Irish person to be blocked by Stephen Jones.

Been there, done that!

Actually what I said to him was really mild and I wasn't having a go at him or his work per se.

• Advertisement

Ah I'm in great company then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Ah I'm in great company then!

He's got a restraining order out on me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭thirteen.

Ian McKinley playing for the barbarians tomorrow. Linky.

Clip of him playing for Viadada here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Some terrible terrible news here from Australia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/32381162

RIP

Jesus, that is deeply saddening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Eugh, that's desperate altogether. Recently a m8 of mine here needed surgery on his neck after a bad tackle so with that fresh in the mind this is beyond sad.

RIP to the lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

bilston wrote: »
    Some terrible terrible news here from Australia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/32381162

RIP
    This is so sad. Within every aspect of life anything is possible. Its possible to lose your life at motor racing, its possible to lose your life on a ski slope, its possible to lose your life on a farm, its possible to lose your life crossing the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

Swiwi. wrote: »

Don't understand all the Barrett love and I'm a Canes fan! He's an incredible athlete but I just don't feel he controls games well enough. He should be leading that Canes team but instead we get one magic moment a game and then he's pretty anonymous. And again I like him!

I think it will end up a Carter/Slade combo unfortunately, with Slade spelling carter when he needs a break. I'd be worried, but then NZ have Aaron Smith at scrum half so no bother. Hansen needs to babysit Smith's every move until the WC. He's irreplaceable. Losing Smith is the equivalent of Ireland losing sexton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Cooper signed for Toulon according to French media.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Cooper signed for Toulon according to French media.
    With Mermoz rumoured to be going to Leicester.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't think Cooper will particularly benefit Toulon. He's like a more talented and volatile Michalak on the field with discipline issues off of it.

Buer wrote: »
    I don't think Cooper will particularly benefit Toulon. He's like a more talented and volatile Michalak on the field with discipline issues off of it.

Toulon should have signed Matawalu. The popcorn sales at Mayol would go through the roof with a Matawalu-Cooper halfback pairing.

In fairness to Cooper it's been awhile since he's had any stories in the press about his off field problems.

He is the Anti-Wilkinson in playing style though so that's going to be a funny fit for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

How is the seeding worked out for the Champions cup next year.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How is the seeding worked out for the Champions cup next year.

League position (after the playoffs).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

awec wrote: »
    League position (after the playoffs).

so even though leinster got to the semi final, if they only finish 5 in the league they'll be what, 3rd seeds?
    what if munster finish 2nd in the league but loose their semi final?

so even though leinster got to the semi final, if they only finish 5 in the league they'll be what, 3rd seeds?
    what if munster finish 2nd in the league but loose their semi final?

Top seed is playoff winner. Second seed is playoff loser. After that it's league position.

If munster finish second but lose the semi they'd be third seeds.

Top seed is playoff winner. Second seed is playoff loser. After that it's league position.

If munster finish second but lose the semi they'd be third seeds.

so leinster in 5th puts them into 4th seed? along with the italian winner?

Is it not 5th seed?

1. Playoff winner
    2. Playoff loser
    3. Semi loser with higher league position
    4. Other semi loser
    5. 5th place

Is it not 5th seed?

1. Playoff winner
    2. Playoff loser
    3. Semi loser with higher league position
    4. Other semi loser
    5. 5th place

only 4 places per pool??

5 pools of 4?

ie 1 of the 2nd seeds would actually be top seed in their group.. and so on down the line

maybe im asking the wrong quuestion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

They'll be in the third seeds I'm pretty sure for that position

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Does anyone know how seeding across 5 groups works with 3 competitions? 3 of the top seeds are obvious (one from each league) but what about the other 2? Obviously 1 league is only represented once in the top seed, but how do they select which one? That obviously then applies to 4th placed in the league. A team from one league gets second seed while the other 2 are 3rd seed.

Either way 5th place ensures 3rd seeds. The Italian team will be 4th seed (7th in the Pro12).

|Pool 1|Pool 2|Pool 3|Pool 4|Pool 5
    Seed 1|1|1|1|2|2
    Seed 2|2|3|3|3|4
    Seed 3|4|4|5|5|5
    Seed 4|6|6|6|7|PO

molloyjh wrote: »
    Does anyone know how seeding across 5 groups works with 3 competitions? 3 of the top seeds are obvious (one from each league) but what about the other 2? Obviously 1 league is only represented once in the top seed, but how do they select which one? That obviously then applies to 4th placed in the league. A team from one league gets second seed while the other 2 are 3rd seed.

Either way 5th place ensures 3rd seeds. The Italian team will be 4th seed (7th in the Pro12).

|Pool 1|Pool 2|Pool 3|Pool 4|Pool 5
    Seed 1|1|1|1|2|2
    Seed 2|2|3|3|3|4
    Seed 3|4|4|5|5|5
    Seed 4|6|6|6|7|PO

They did that by draw last time I think?

People are confusing seeding and tiers. There are 4 tiers, but there are 7 seeds from the Pro 12. The team that finishes 5th is a 5th seeded team.

Each league has a first seed, second seed etc.

The tiers are done as follows:

Tier one: The top seed of each league, and then a draw to put two of the three second seeds into tier 1.
    Tier two: The remaining second seeded team, and then the three third seeds. The final team in tier two is the 4th seeded team from whichever league didn't win the draw for extra teams in tier 1.
    Tier three: The two remaining 4th seeds plus all three 5th seeds
    Tier four: The three 6th seeds, and two 7th seeds.

So for Leinster, the difference between finishing in a playoff spot and finishing 5th in terms of seeding is that if you finish 5th you will definitely be in tier three, whereas if you finish 4th seed you at least have a chance of tier 2. Teams in the same tier are kept apart.

• Advertisement

As an example, based on current league positions if this was the seeding:

Seed|Pro 12|AP|T14
    1|Glasgow|Northampton|Toulon
    2|Munster|Saracens|Clermont
    3|Ulster|Bath|Stade
    4|Ospreys|Exeter|Racing
    5|Leinster|Leicester|Toulouse
    6|Connacht|Wasps|Oyonnax
    7|Treviso|Sale| --

You could have tiers of (remember parts of this are a draw so below is a speculation, but if Leinster finish 5th they are guaranteed third tier):

Tier|One|Two|Three|Four|Five
    1|Glasgow (PRO 1)|Northampton (AP 1)|Toulon (T14 1)|Munster (PRO 2)|Saracens (AP 2)
    2|Clermont (T14 2)|Ulster (PRO 3)|Bath (AP 3)|Stade (T14 3)|Racing (T14 4)
    3|Ospreys (PRO 4)|Exeter (AP 4)|Leinster (PRO 5)|Leicester (AP 5)|Toulouse (T14 5)
    4|Connacht (PRO 6)|Wasps (AP 6)|Oyonnax (T14 6)|Treviso (PRO 7)|Sale (AP 7)

Of course, you have to take into account the fact there is a playoff this year for a spot.

Those tiers could give Leinster a group of:

Toulon
    Clermont
    Leinster
    Wasps

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement