Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

awec wrote: »
    Those tiers could give Leinster a group of:

Toulon
    Clermont
    Leinster
    Wasps

Isn't there a restriction on Tier 1 and Tier 2 teams being from the same league?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

is there no consideration for where the cup holders are seeded?

ie if leinster had have won this year would they still be 'tier 3' due to their league position?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Isn't there a restriction on Tier 1 and Tier 2 teams being from the same league?

Maybe there is. There will be a group with two French teams and a league with two English teams.

I kinda want Leinster to get that group. Good value for the season ticket. ;)

sydthebeat wrote: »

ie if leinster had have won this year would they still be 'tier 3' due to their league position?
    Yes, all down to league position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

sydthebeat wrote: »

Yes, it's based on league performance entirely now.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yes, it's based on league performance entirely now.

be gas if we had a "liverpool" type situation occur...
    maybe when boudjellal pulls out of toulon ;)

Maybe there is. There will be a group with two French teams and a league with two English teams.

I kinda want Leinster to get that group. Good value for the season ticket. ;)

Munster, Stade Francais, Exeter, Treviso

&

Toulon, Bath, Leinster, Oyonnax

will do just fine! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

The fact that with only 5 groups that the 2nd French team could potentially be a 2nd tier seed is kinda scary, so even if Munster win or come 2nd in the Pro12 this year, they could still have Toulon/Clermont in their group. Not what I would call a fun time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Australia have announced that long standing overseas based players will now be eligible for national team selection. 60 caps or 7 years service seem to be the criteria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Wang King wrote: »
    Australia have announced that long standing overseas based players will now be eligible for national team selection. 60 caps or 7 years service seem to be the criteria

That's a 7 year contract with the ARU rather than Super Rugby team.

Few players actually qualify but I still think it's a good move as it allows long serving players who committed to Australia take the cash in France and still play for Australia. The only downside is it makes them less valuable to French clubs if they have to go on international duty but maybe at that point they will have retired from international rugby.

• Advertisement

That's a 7 year contract with the ARU rather than Super Rugby team.

Few players actually qualify but I still think it's a good move as it allows long serving players who committed to Australia take the cash in France and still play for Australia. The only downside is it makes them less valuable to French clubs if they have to go on international duty but maybe at that point they will have retired from international rugby.

If they've retired from international rugby then surely this whole thing would be irrelevant to them!

Maybe more relevant to an Elsom like guy who is older but has served for quite a while and is looking to make a lot of money in the twilight of their career while not forgoing the international game. Maybe some Toulon candidates there!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Wang King wrote: »

That's a game changer in terms of some top players leaving now. Moore, Alexander, Robinson, Slipper, Horwill, Palu, Genia and AAC will all have that total broken by the start of the RWC and I'm sure they've all managed 7 contracted years, too.

The likes of Beale, JOC and Pocock will be able to do so in the following 18 months, potentially, having all been contracted since they were 20 or even younger. Even Hooper is a good bet to hit 60 caps in the next 2 years although will have to wait 4 to fulfil the 7 year requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Will we see Matt Giteau and Drew Mitchell at the World Cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Buer wrote: »
    That's a game changer in terms of some top players leaving now. Moore, Alexander, Robinson, Slipper, Horwill, Palu, Genia and AAC will all have that total broken by the start of the RWC and I'm sure they've all managed 7 contracted years, too.

The likes of Beale, JOC and Pocock will be able to do so in the following 18 months, potentially, having all been contracted since they were 20 or even younger. Even Hooper is a good bet to hit 60 caps in the next 2 years although will have to wait 4 to fulfil the 7 year requirement.

is it not 60 caps or 7 years and not necessarily both

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Will we see Matt Giteau and Drew Mitchell at the World Cup?

When it was reported on the radio this morning, they mentioned those two as the players who now come back into the fold, potentially. I reckon it's more to do with the future than those lads, though.

Giteau will be 33 in the RWC and Mitchell 31. I don't see Cheika drafting them in unless he's really concerned about the other options they have.

I'd say it'll be for players of the future. Would be a bit of a boot in the balls to the guys who stayed in Aus if those who have been away for ages suddenly come marching in in front of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

It's a good move, but maybe last stand at the Corral. SANZAR is rapidly losing its players north, SA > Aust > NZ. It won't affect 4N results, as all participating countries affected, it won't affect June tours, because the NH generally sends down weakened sides anyway, but it might tip the balance in favour of the North in Autumn, and certainly risks doing so at RWC time. By bringing these players back into the fold, potentially Aussie rugby is stronger. I honestly don't think either Drew Mitchell or Matt Giteau on current form demand an automatic spot in a Wallabies XV. This move though means that Aussie might buy some loyalty with players toting up their half century of caps, or a few years, before heading off but remaining eligibile. TBH, the ARU hasn't too many options, they are cash strapped and Rugby is the 4th sporting winter option in Australia.

Giteau was in phenomenal form before his injury problems this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

b.gud wrote: »
    is it not 60 caps or 7 years and not necessarily both

I don't think so, it looks like the initial post was worded poorly. According to this article it's 60 caps and 7 years

http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1699/ArticleID/15076/Elite-group-of-overseas-based-players-to-be-eligible-for-Qantas-Wallabies.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I would say in about 90% of cases 60 caps and 7 years will go hand in hand. Would be rare enough to get that many in less than 7 I would've thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I'd say it'll be for players of the future. Would be a bit of a boot in the balls to the guys who stayed in Aus if those who have been away for ages suddenly come marching in in front of them.

If it was for the future then they would delay it until after the world cup. This has Cheika's fingerprints all over it and I'm certain it's with a view to including players such as Giteau in the squad for the upcoming RWC.

Clearlier wrote: »
    If it was for the future then they would delay it until after the world cup. This has Cheika's fingerprints all over it and I'm certain it's with a view to including players such as Giteau in the squad for the upcoming RWC.

I would think it's clarifying the situation in advance of the normal departures following every RWC. A lot of players will be in talks with European/Japanese clubs at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I would think it's clarifying the situation in advance of the normal departures following every RWC. A lot of players will be in talks with European/Japanese clubs at the moment.

While I'm sure that was a consideration if it was for the future they would implement it post world cup. I'm confident that it's being done with a view to including overseas players in the squad for this coming world cup, they've even made a point of saying that it's effective immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Clearlier wrote: »
    While I'm sure that was a consideration if it was for the future they would implement it post world cup. I'm confident that it's being done with a view to including overseas players in the squad for this coming world cup, they've even made a point of saying that it's effective immediately.

I disagree. I think it has nothing to do with the RWC, those players heading overseas will still be available for Australia in November, and I don't think Aussie need Giteau et al to do well.

It has everything to do with Aussie being short of cash, and with their players heading overseas in droves. This is a carrot to get players to stay longer in Australia to accumulate those caps/years, and also all overseas players can now play for Australia if they sign a 2 year Super Rugby contract starting the following season.

I think it's a great move by Australia, not as yet needed by NZ as we have more depth and continually emerging talent, but should help keep Aussie rugby strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Worcester host Bristol in Championship this weekend. Both well clear of 3rd place ahead of playoffs. Bristol on 99 points, Worcester 96, London Scottish in third on 64. Two rounds remaining after this weekend ahead of playoffs.
    Will be interesting to see how this game goes ahead of their expected clash in the final in a few weeks time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Big game in the Aviva Prem this weekend Northampton V Saracens.

This one is in the MK Dons stadium and tickets have gone really well, course be a stadium record sell out.

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2015-04-22/crucial-northampton-saints-clash-at-stadium-mk-heading-towards-a-sell-out/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Lee Byrne forced to retire due to a shoulder injury. A player I alway loved to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Think its a good move by Aus but I think its thinking more of the future. I don't think Mitchell would get in the Aussie squad let alone the 15. And do Aus really need Giteau that badly with Toomua at 12 who's arguably their most dangerous player?

Also watching the soccer on tv3 on Tuesday there and I remembered they are the ones showing the world cup. Does anyone know if they'll be getting HD before then? Otherwise i'll be watching on bbc, shocking quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Think its a good move by Aus but I think its thinking more of the future. I don't think Mitchell would get in the Aussie squad let alone the 15. And do Aus really need Giteau that badly with Toomua at 12 who's arguably their most dangerous player?

Also watching the soccer on tv3 on Tuesday there and I remembered they are the ones showing the world cup. Does anyone know if they'll be getting HD before then? Otherwise i'll be watching on bbc, shocking quality.

Well you won't be watching on BBC, that's for sure. It'll be itv or tv3 for you. They are meant to be getting their HD sorted by then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Lee Byrne forced to retire due to a shoulder injury. A player I alway loved to watch.

They signed Byrne and Aled Brew at the start of the season which I thought'd give them a bit of a boost but both have been injured since October.

Bernard Laporte confirmed the signing of Quade Cooper to local press yesterday. The signing should be announced officially after the Champions Cup final.

So as it stands Toulon could name these two backlines:

Tillous-Borde, Cooper, Habana, Nonu, Bastareaud, Nalaga, Halfpenny

Pelissié, Michalak, Mitchell, Giteau, Mermoz, Tuisova, Delon

Mental.

Looks like an expensive squad alright....

Salary Cap must be very strictly enforced o'er there...

Looks like an expensive squad alright....

Salary Cap must be very strictly enforced o'er there...

Even though they are under contract, I'd say Michalak and Mermoz will be leaving.

Even though they are under contract, I'd say Michalak and Mermoz will be leaving.

A blow to Toulon, two players who could be paid their first €100k outside of the cap.

A blow to Toulon, two players who could be paid their first €100k outside of the cap.
    I'm not sure if they are in the France 30 or not.

In fairness I'd say the rules are strictly enforced over. The DNACG is the financial watchdog and they have relegated clubs before that have fallen foul of the rules.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if they are in the France 30 or not.

In fairness I'd say the rules are strictly enforced over. The DNACG is the financial watchdog and they have relegated clubs before that have fallen foul of the rules.

Boujadel explained very straightforwardly how they get around the cap.

Wilkinson was paid his Toulon wage for playing rugby, which sits inside the cap. Then Toulon's 'partners' also employ Johnny for media deals and sponsorship opportunities.

Wilkinson's Bank Account
    Toulon Wages - €100k
    'Toulon Partners' Wages - €X00k

Think about Sexton's 'package' from Leinster/DOB.

Thanks emmet. I'm sure Dan Carter's deal involves the same!

Btw Cooper has actually been confirmed on Toulon's website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Bernard Laporte confirmed the signing of Quade Cooper to local press yesterday. The signing should be announced officially after the Champions Cup final.

So as it stands Toulon could name these two backlines:

Tillous-Borde, Cooper, Habana, Nonu, Bastareaud, Nalaga, Halfpenny

Pelissié, Michalak, Mitchell, Giteau, Mermoz, Tuisova, Delon

Mental.

Nalaga is going to Toulon too?

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Nalaga is going to Toulon too?
    Yes

Boujadel explained very straightforwardly how they get around the cap.

Wilkinson was paid his Toulon wage for playing rugby, which sits inside the cap. Then Toulon's 'partners' also employ Johnny for media deals and sponsorship opportunities.

Wilkinson's Bank Account
    Toulon Wages - €100k
    'Toulon Partners' Wages - €X00k

Think about Sexton's 'package' from Leinster/DOB.

They wany to bring that under the cap but it's a nightmare to legislate for and enforce.

• Advertisement

They wany to bring that under the cap but it's a nightmare to legislate for and enforce.

It's practically impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

It's practically impossible.
    It wouldn't be that hard to make a pretty good go at it. Widen the net of relevant bodies to include related companies and affiliates. Include all 'tied' compensation provided to the player by any related (defined very very widely) body that is considered an inducement to player for them to play for team i.e. the player wouldn't have joined with X 'sponshorship. You're never going to tackle it unless you try. Sure there may still be some ways to get around but you could at least limit impact.

As this isn't a strictly legal matter, the burden of evidence won't need to be very high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

So. I thought I would bring my 4year old nephew to his first rugby match, sale sharks vs harlequins....and I discover that Wayne bloody Barnes is reffing!

Sangre wrote: »
    It wouldn't be that hard to make a pretty good go at it. Widen the net of relevant bodies to include related companies and affiliates. Include all 'tied' compensation provided to the player by any related (defined very very widely) body that is considered an inducement to player for them to play for team i.e. the player wouldn't have joined with X 'sponshorship. You're never going to tackle it unless you try. Sure there may still be some ways to get around but you could at least limit impact.

As this isn't a strictly legal matter, the burden of evidence won't need to be very high.

Which is exactly how they do it in the AP. But the extent to which it works isn't very clear at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

RuggieBear wrote: »
    So. I thought I would bring my 4year old nephew to his first rugby match, sale sharks vs harlequins....and I discover that Wayne bloody Barnes is reffing!

Im still laughing at the outrage emanating from your post :)

Leicester 7-10 London Welsh; HT at Welford Road.

No, you are not seeing things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

My initial reaction was Leicester must have been playing with 13 players. I'd even have been surprised for a 14 man Leicester to be losing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Anyone read the article about Victor o'Connell in the Irish Times today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Stheno wrote: »
    Anyone read the article about Victor o'Connell in the Irish Times today?
    No. Do you have a link to it?

Bristol beat Worcester in final round of RFU Championship today. Bristol top, Worcester second. Both will end up meeting in the final. Cant see Rotherham or London Scottish surprising either in the two legged semis. First leg of the semi finals are next Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Bristol and Worcester has to be the best promotion challenge in recent memory, you'd imagine both would have a great chance at staying up. Between them they have only managed 2 losses to the rest of the league in 40 games, with a try bonus almost every single match. At 30-26 you would imagine it was a good game, their match earlier in the season was an absolute cracker. Bristol could rue not taking their chance last year against London Welsh but they're probably marginal favourites this year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement