Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion

Comments

http://sport.bt.com/sport-hurts/halaufia-sent-off-for-shoving-rivals-head-into-ground-91363977720013

Region locked to the UK but this is Chris Hala'ufia getting sent off today, just outright thuggery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

RuggieBear wrote: »
    So. I thought I would bring my 4year old nephew to his first rugby match, sale sharks vs harlequins....and I discover that Wayne bloody Barnes is reffing!

Surely something that brutal and upsetting should have an 18 rating?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Burr10

http://sport.bt.com/sport-hurts/halaufia-sent-off-for-shoving-rivals-head-into-ground-91363977720013

Region locked to the UK but this is Chris Hala'ufia getting sent off today, just outright thuggery.

Typical Hala'ufia really, the guy has been cheapshotting people for years, including slapping the face of someone he tackled earlier this season. His 'tackle' on Olly Morgan a few years ago was particularly awful.

I really don't like players like him playing and game and hope he gets a nice long ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Scumbag, that's the second incident following his attempted cheek slap after smashing a Newcastle player (though that tackle was legal I believe), not to mention his previous indiscretions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I can't see the vid but Hala'ufia has 12 yellows and 2 reds in 89+21 games in the Aviva!!

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I can't see the vid but Hala'ufia has 12 yellows and 2 reds in 89+21 games in the Aviva!!

It was a shocker, he put a big hit on the Leicester player who stayed down, as he was over him Hala'ufia then pushed his head into the ground as he was getting up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Brendan fanning has an article in the sindo about the suta choke hold last week, the picture wit the article makes me sick. Its up there with calum clark breaking a players arm a few years ago. How he didnt get cited i dont know. Disgusting behaviour, the look on suta's is a disgrace.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Dunno if I'd go as far as comparing it to Clarke. Would have happily seen a lifetime ban for that tbh.

I do find it disturbing it wasn't cited though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Some great games across the leagues next weekend, after what is basically a weekend off for the Champions Cup final (which noone is going to go to).

In the Pro 12, Ulster play Munster AND Glasgow play Ospreys. That's basically the top 4 all playing each other.

In the Premiership, Saracens play Exeter and Wasps play Leicester. Both big games between team who aren't guaranteed playoff positions. Those teams are 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th and are seperated by 5 points.

The Top 14 is a little less exciting, but the Pro 12 and Premiership will be great to watch. Use that incentive to get you through this weekend... :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Some great games across the leagues next weekend, after what is basically a weekend off for the Champions Cup final (which noone is going to go to).

In the Pro 12, Ulster play Munster AND Glasgow play Ospreys. That's basically the top 4 all playing each other.

In the Premiership, Saracens play Exeter and Wasps play Leicester. Both big games between team who aren't guaranteed playoff positions. Those teams are 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th and are seperated by 5 points.

The Top 14 is a little less exciting, but the Pro 12 and Premiership will be great to watch. Use that incentive to get you through this weekend... :/

And for the small coterie of SXV-philes that inhabit this forum, a few crunch games there too, not least the excitement-plus Canes v the Crusaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Dunno if I'd go as far as comparing it to Clarke. Would have happily seen a lifetime ban for that tbh.

I do find it disturbing it wasn't cited though.

its comparable when you look at the intent. Fanning made the point that Strauss was tapping out so to speak but Suta held on for 6-7 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's horrific and I don't understand how more of a fuss wasn't made about it. Suta may have been unsighted when he originally grabbed Strauss (thinking he had him around the jaw and not throat and that's been spectacularly kind to him) but Strauss made it obvious with his struggles to highlight to him that he was being strangled.

The notion that the officer reviews the game and didn't see anything in that to warrant a citing is ridiculous. Are we to accept that deliberately putting a choke hold on someone to the point where they can't breathe is a very minor infraction which results in a penalty and nothing more? I read some of the Toulon forums after the game and it was very much noticed by them too.

It utterly stinks. I wouldn't say it is on the level of the Clarke incident which was utterly grotesque in its intent and execution but it is on the next level behind it. All being proper, he should have been suspended until next season.

aimee1 wrote: »
    its comparable when you look at the intent. Fanning made the point that Strauss was tapping out so to speak but Suta held on for 6-7 seconds.

It wasn't comparable on either the level of intent or the outcome. I think Clark is very lucky to have been welcomed back into the game at all.

Clarke was the worst thing I've seen since I've been watching rugby. 32 weeks was a joke.

Clarke was the worst thing I've seen since I've been watching rugby. 32 weeks was a joke.

32 weeks including the summer months. He was suspended for 14 games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

There is an article on the BBC, which is awkward for me to link right now, claiming Wasps will soon have the highest revenue of any rugby club in the world. Most of it coming from the move to Coventry. 35mn a year allegedly.

errlloyd wrote: »
    There is an article on the BBC, which is awkward for me to link right now, claiming Wasps will soon have the highest revenue of any rugby club in the world. Most of it coming from the move to Coventry. 35mn a year allegedly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/32476299

It's a debt issue though. They're looking to raise £35m. If the markets give them it, that's some serious backing!

Don't know much about finance but does a 35m bond not mean 35m debt?

Don't know much about finance but does a 35m bond not mean 35m debt?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah, tbh I'd want more than 6.5% return to invest in Wasps.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Brad Thorn will join the Queensland Reds back room staff to coach the side's emerging forwards next season

Paywall, but opening paragraph seems juicy enough....

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/rugbyunion/article4425460.ece
    At a time when Saracens and one other club had reportedly been under investigation for alleged breaches, The Times understands that a majority of clubs have voted for inquiries to be suspended, in part for fear of alienating sponsors and fans, and jeopardising their position in negotiations with the RFU over a new relationship governing the release of England players....

T.N.T

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Paywall, but opening paragraph seems juicy enough....

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/rugbyunion/article4425460.ece

T.N.T

So the clubs have the power to prevent themselves from being investigated!? Ingenious.

molloyjh wrote: »
    So the clubs have the power to prevent themselves from being investigated!? Ingenious.

Premiership Rugby deny the claims...
    "But to be clear there is no amnesty under salary cap arrangements. The salary cap system is an integral part of Premiership Rugby and has the support of our clubs."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

No easy investigations in the Premiership.

What if, say, the clubs knew that the points reduction was likely to be X number of points, and they decided that it wouldn't be beneficial this season and wanted it to affect the club in question next season, so voted for a postponement? Seems like it's the sort of thing that they shouldn't be able to postpone, at least without unanimity.

What if, say, the clubs knew that the points reduction was likely to be X number of points, and they decided that it wouldn't be beneficial this season and wanted it to affect the club in question next season, so voted for a postponement? Seems like it's the sort of thing that they shouldn't be able to postpone, at least without unanimity.

Perhaps giving the teams governance isn't such a splendid idea? :pac:

Perhaps giving the teams governance isn't such a splendid idea? :pac:

Given how well it works for them, it would be impossible to agree.

They haven't actually denied the investigation has been blocked though. They've just refused to comment.
    Given how well it works for them, it would be impossible to agree.

Indeed, it seems to work very well for them. As the initial article emmet posted suggests. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Sexton is going to be on Second Captains tonight

• Advertisement

The FIR has sold 74% of Zebre to a group of private entrepreneurs. The remaining share will be sold off during the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Sexton is going to be on Second Captains tonight

Did he say anything interesting?

The FIR has sold 74% of Zebre to a group of private entrepreneurs. The remaining share will be sold off during the year.

Private entrepreneurs? Any idea who? Or is it individuals? I'm not sure how that's going to work given that the FIR are the ones who are involved in the Pro12.

Private entrepreneurs? Any idea who? Or is it individuals? I'm not sure how that's going to work given that the FIR are the ones who are involved in the Pro12.

"A local association of entrepreneurs"

http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/celtic-league/2014-2015/ligue-celtique-la-federation-italienne-vend-74-des-zebre_sto4699037/story.shtml

As alluded to in the article, the Zebre franchise has been a failure thus far so maybe private ownership will help.

Do the Benetton family not own Treviso?

Buer wrote: »
    Do the Benetton family not own Treviso?

Yes.

I would suggest there are a lot of private entrepeneurs in certain European countries who find various creative ways to use sporting organisations for their own benefit.

Yes.

I didn't realise they owned Treviso outright. Fair enough so. Although it's not like they're a rip roaring success compared to Zebre in fairness.

I didn't realise they owned Treviso outright. Fair enough so. Although it's not like they're a rip roaring success compared to Zebre in fairness.
    If only the Benetton Group decided to pump more money in. If the club became somewhat competitive they could easily attract quality foreign players given the climate, culture etc. Treviso would be a nice spot to pick up a pension!

It's a shame the club haven't kicked on from some great league performances. In 2012/13 they only finished 4 points behind Munster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

I think this is a good move for both the FIR and Zebre.

This must have been on the card to quite a while. They already signed Luke Burgess and Mils Muliainia so must have a bit of money to spend.

The club seem to be bringing a few young players through the books which too is important.

http://www.pro12rugby.com/news/17209.php#IQImmXUZZWvvMU5K.97

I'd say the FIR are happy to get the club off their books as they will concentrate more on grassroots funding.

After last season Italian rugby needs stability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

No easy investigations in the Premiership.

Elite investigation of club finances. #WhatTheFansWant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Head of SANZAR referees replying to Aussie journalist Spira Zavos

“Hi Spiro!

This is my reply for you.

It is important to start by saying that this is not simply ‘a Brumbies issue’ – that would be totally unfair. This issue of attacking players joining ahead of the back player in the maul is an issue across several teams (but not all), and is an issue I have to put my hand up and say that I contributed to, by allowing too much latitude at the start of the competition, therefore allowing teams to develop a technique that has become unacceptable (lesson learnt).

I have written to all Super Rugby coaches this week, obviously in tandem with work we have done with our referees, to ensure that we correct this technique before it gets more blatant and unfair towards the defence.

The Law is clear: law 17.4.c states:’Players joining the maul. Players joining a maul must do so from behind the foot of the hindmost teammate in the maul. The player may join alongside this player. If the player joins the maul from the opponents’ side, or in front of the hindmost teammate, the player is offside.’

The key to this is that when a player runs in to join an established maul, he must start by binding onto the maul, to a player at the back of the maul (who is often the ball carrier, but may not be). He must bind and then can move forward up the maul (as per defenders) and may do so as long as he remains bound.

So, I am please to say that we have had some very positive responses from the coaches and I believe we will see backs who run in to join the maul (generally from a lineout, near the goal-line, after the maul moves off the line of touch) first binding to the back player and then shifting legally forward. This is of course no different to what defenders are allowed to do.

The last point is that when the ball carrier decides to unbind and make a dive for the goal-line, it is important that any attacking in the maul, either remains bound or if he unbinds that he avoids obstructing a defender who could otherwise have attempted a tackle on the ball carrier.

We spent a week working with World Rugby to ensure that our direction around fixing this issue was in line with World Rugby’s view and that this will be followed in Test rugby. We got some excellent alignment with World Rugby which makes this a critical aspect to get right for the players and referees.

If a player clearly joins on to a maul ahead of the last player on his side of the maul, it is a penalty kick offence.

If a player with the ball ‘separates’ (loses his bind) and then rebinds onto the maul, this will be ruled as accidental obstruction and called as a Scrum (this sometimes happens when another player tries to slip in around the ball carrier and the ball carrier actually becomes totally detached from the maul.

I am sure rugby followers who understand the importance of trying to ensure that all phases of the game are both positive for attack but able to be contested and defended will be pleased that teams and referees have acted with speed and responsibility towards getting this part of the maul right.

The lineout and the driving maul are important parts of the game and these phases can produce really good, innovative approaches. But we have to ensure that we don’t allow such latitude to the attacking team that it becomes entirely unfair, or seen as an area of the game that you simply cannot defend.

Hopefully, we will see a really good response around this issue when we watch Round 12.

Lyndon.”

Looking forward to seeing Hidalgo-Clyne go up against Laidlaw tonight, hopefully SHC nails on his starting position for Scotland coming into the WC (this Cotter's chance to strip Laidlaw of the captaincy and prevent himself from being backed into a corner).

Venditti gone to Newcastle: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/32547058

It's bad enough that Italian teams are losing key players, but losing key players to other poor clubs like Newcastle?

Venditti gone to Newcastle: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/32547058

It's bad enough that Italian teams are losing key players, but losing key players to other poor clubs like Newcastle?

Newcastle may be a poor club in terms of quality (in the scope of the Premiership, I think they'd beat Treviso personally), but they're reaping the rewards of both the increased TV revenue and the strength of their currency, I'm sure their budget stretches a lot farther.

+ Players get to go out on the Toooon every Saturday night. Way-eye!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Newcastle may be a poor club in terms of quality (in the scope of the Premiership, I think they'd beat Treviso personally), but they're reaping the rewards of both the increased TV revenue and the strength of their currency, I'm sure their budget stretches a lot farther.

They've been playing some very nice free flowing rugby in the Prem this year. With the new pitch and players like Sinoti, Catterick and Tait they have been good to watch and under Dean Richards are building a good base.

They were unlucky at the weekend to lose away to Gloucester 42-40, losing in the last play of the game. They built their crowds up again this season and will do better next.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

there's a big market for these kind of players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Edinburgh just haven't shown up for this final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Edinburgh just haven't shown up for this final.

Couldn't have a better opportunity in fairness now.

Wasn't surprised the red was given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

What a turn of events! Maybe slightly harsh with the red?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement