Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Couldn't have a better opportunity in fairness now.

Wasn't surprised the red was given.

I see why it was given yeah it was very reckless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Game on with 15mins to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Bit of a harsh red, but he can't really complain. Late and dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The new EPCR Chairman is on message!
    “When the new tournament started this season, everyone could see the level of performance and the intensity of the games. There were no easy matches. I think it has been a real success – the quality is there and it is only going to be better.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

He obviously wasn't watching the group stages of the European Challenge Cup so, particularly the matches involving French teams. They managed to fill the Stoop for the final last night, which means the tournament isn't beyond saving, but it seriously needs to be looked at again as it appears any French interest in it has been utterly destroyed by the removal of the Champions Cup place. It will be reinstated on a temporary basis next year but really should be made permanent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

For the first time we'll have a Russian team in the Challenge Cup next year.

Yenisei-STM beat Baia Mare in the final qualifier. This will really help Russian rugby. I think there should be at least one Russian, Romanian and Georgian club in this competition. It could be be the winners of the national leagues are rewarded with a challenge cup place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

For the first time we'll have a Russian team in the Challenge Cup next year.

Yenisei-STM beat Baia Mare in the final qualifier. This will really help Russian rugby. I think there should be at least one Russian, Romanian and Georgian club in this competition. It could be be the winners of the national leagues are rewarded with a challenge cup place.
    Having seen Enesei play Munster A/Development teams several times over the past few years its great to see them step up to Challenge Cup level. The sooner we can expand the number of countries competing in the challenge cup the better. We have to expand the game much more in Europe. The potential is there we just need to do so much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Having seen Enesei play Munster A/Development teams several times over the past few years its great to see them step up to Challenge Cup level. The sooner we can expand the number of countries competing in the challenge cup the better. We have to expand the game much more in Europe. The potential is there we just need to do so much more.

Whatever happened to the third tier European tournament that was meant to have been part of the brave new world?

bilston wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the third tier European tournament that was meant to have been part of the brave new world?

This Russian side qualified via that qualification tournament. Hopefully that will increase in size now.

This Russian side qualified via that qualification tournament. Hopefully that will increase in size now.

Ah cool.

What's the format of the third tier? How many teams are in it? What countries are they from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Ah cool.

What's the format of the third tier? How many teams are in it? What countries are they from?

2 Italian clubs (one of which also qualified), one spanish, one Portuguese, one Russian and one Romanian. The Georgian league didn't submit a team as the notice was much too short, this competition was totally last minute.

The new European rugby lot made as asses job of it all given it was so last minute. Maybe the German champions were involved too but I can't quite remember. The German club champions are actually quite strong and play good rugby. World Rugby really needs to get behind Spain, Portugal, Germany, Russia, Romania, Georgia as they are our next tier. I was in Slovakia the other week and suprised to see massive billboards about their national teams next match, countries like this we really need to expand in.

Rugby does have a bright future but countries like Ireland need to help bring it along we can't totally rely on world rugby.

2 Italian clubs (one of which also qualified), one spanish, one Portuguese, one Russian and one Romanian. The Georgian league didn't submit a team as the notice was much too short, this competition was totally last minute.

The new European rugby lot made as asses job of it all given it was so last minute. Maybe the German champions were involved too but I can't quite remember. The German club champions are actually quite strong and play good rugby. World Rugby really needs to get behind Spain, Portugal, Germany, Russia, Romania, Georgia as they are our next tier. I was in Slovakia the other week and suprised to see massive billboards about their national teams next match, countries like this we really need to expand in.

Rugby does have a bright future but countries like Ireland need to help bring it along we can't totally rely on world rugby.

To clarify, that competition is under the remit of Rugby Europe (ie, FIRA), which is exactly as it should be (as should all other European rugby as soon as possible, imo), but they've never really had to organise anything like this before. Teething pains are absolutely worth it in the long run if they are adapting and putting in place a structure which can assume the responsibility for bringing club rugby in Europe to where it should be. I'm very excited for the future of the organisation.

Ireland and the rest of the established European nations, along with World Rugby, should absolutely help to the fullest extent of our abilities, but the really exciting things will happen when these countries are given the freedom and power to drive growth themselves. The best thing the old boys' club of the 6 Nations can do is to have the humility to admit they are also in Europe and to make a move to bring their own competition under the same jurisdiction as everyone else, I wouldn't hold my breath though...

Anyone care to guess how the likes of Clontarf and Terenure would get on in this third tier tournament?

Anyone care to guess how the likes of Clontarf and Terenure would get on in this third tier tournament?

The best Super 10 sides would be a level above them. I couldn't really make a very good guess on the others but the players in the Russian/Romanian leagues seem to be at a similar standard as the Super 10 from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Great win today for Bridgend in the Welsh Cup Final at the MS.

Opponents Pontypridd have been the king pins in Wales since the game went professional. Toppling them today was a huge achievement for my home town club.

It was a great game too ...... Proper scrums - none of the nonsense you see in the pro game.

Amazing commitment against a superior team topped off with a faultless and brilliant goal kicking display from young full back Owen Howe.

Brought back some good memories of a time when this club was the best in these islands. ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Great win today for Bridgend in the Welsh Cup Final at the MS.

Opponents Pontypridd have been the king pins in Wales since the game went professional. Toppling them today was a huge achievement for my home town club.

It was a great game too ...... Proper scrums - none of the nonsense you see in the pro game.

Amazing commitment against a superior team topped off with a faultless and brilliant goal kicking display from young full back Owen Howe.

Brought back some good memories of a time when this club was the best in these islands. ......

bet was big crowd at game too? both teams have huge support
    Shame "Celtic Warriors" was forced into liquidation

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Celtic Warriors had some team.

In their only season they finished 4th!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Celtic Warriors had some team.

In their only season they finished 4th!
    Don't get me talking about the Celtic Warriors ..... I've let that go now .....

They were also the only team to beat Wasps on the H/Cup the year Wasps won it. Dallaglio raved about the atmosphere in the deciding group game even though he was sin-binned that night.

They were a big loss to the pro scene in Wales .... Saying that there was too much animosity between Bridgend and Pontypridd when they should have been looking at the the big four who eventually shafted them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Warriors#Notable_former_players

That's some notable players for a team who only existed for a year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Was talking to Ponty fans when they were over for the Connacht Eagles game in the B&I Cup- they compared Celtic Warriors getting disbanded and Connacht threatened to have plug pulled by IRFU.
    Our 3 Provinces were in favour of keeping Connacht, while the Regions in Wales narrow mindedly thought that they could tap into their fan base.. To say that the Ponty fans have little love for Cardiff is an understatement.. Be like trying to get Garryowen or Cork Con fans to support Leinster as their home province :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Warriors#Notable_former_players

That's some notable players for a team who only existed for a year!

I forgot about Kevin Morgan; I used to like watching him play, good player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Wallaby hooker Tatafu P Nau talking about quitting the game if he gets another head injury

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Sorry for posting in the wrong place but I emailed the site admin and was told to post on the forum.
    When I go to the forum there are numerous treads with new posts but once I login in the number of threads with new threads drops to one or zero.
    I have no issues on my phone.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Sorry for posting in the wrong place but I emailed the site admin and was told to post on the forum.
    When I go to the forum there are numerous treads with new posts but once I login in the number of threads with new threads drops to one or zero.

If you've already read the new threads under your login, they won't show as new. Before you log in, they will all show as new.

Morale of the story: don't log out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

mogwai81 wrote: »

Hey, maybe try asking over here? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Could be an issue on your login?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Not that well. Wouldn't see them getting near the Italian or IMO Russian/Georgian sides. Top club sides here would be far off most if not all these pro/semi pro sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Not that well. Wouldn't see them getting near the Italian or IMO Russian/Georgian sides. Top club sides here would be far off most if not all these pro/semi pro sides.

How about Leinster A. Leinster A seem to be able to mix and match it with the championship sides.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So Abendanon is player of the year. Seems like international exile is a prerequisite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Zac Guilford is leaving France early and returning home.
    Clermont released a statement saying all the right things, but made mention of his fragility as a factor in his release.
    If he returns home will we see his rugby career destroyed by alcohol?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Guilford is being discussed in three threads already but POTS Abendanon in none?

• Advertisement

Abendanon had an eye catching campaign. Far from fautless mind as we saw in the final. In an England context he would never get the nod over Brown for that reason (and also because he plays in France), but he scored and set up some great tries in the Champions Cup so it's no great surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Wang King wrote: »
    Zac Guilford is leaving France early and returning home.
    Clermont released a statement saying all the right things, but made mention of his fragility as a factor in his release.
    If he returns home will we see his rugby career destroyed by alcohol?

I think his pro rugby career is done. I can't see any team (at S15 level anyway) willing to take a risk.

More money for Wasps

UnderArmour sponsorship deal. Good business.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think his pro rugby career is done. I can't see any team (at S15 level anyway) willing to take a risk.

I'd be very surprised if one of them didn't take the risk, to be honest. Capped international with 79 S15 appearances and 29 tries as well as being only 26.

They can put stipulations into a contract regarding pay for play or his behaviour to limit their risk.

Buer wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if one of them didn't take the risk, to be honest. Capped international with 79 S15 appearances and 29 tries as well as being only 26.

They can put stipulations into a contract regarding pay for play or his behaviour to limit their risk.

Western Force so...

Hawke's Bay mentioning ITM cup contract maybe.

It looks like Guy Noves is the favourite to succeed PSA. It's probably a good time for him to leave Toulouse as the success has dried up there in recent seasons.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It looks like Guy Noves is the favourite to succeed PSA. It's probably a good time for him to leave Toulouse as the success has dried up there in recent seasons.

what happened to Ibanez, though he was basically heir apparent.

if hes free, think he might like a few years in dublin????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Always thought Guy Noves would be the natural succession to the national side, but I think he said a while ago he didn't want it? Has that changed?

.ak wrote: »
    Always thought Guy Noves would be the natural succession to the national side, but I think he said a while ago he didn't want it? Has that changed?
    Toulouse are on the wane so it might be good time for him to say adieu.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Toulouse are on the wane so it might be good time for him to say adieu.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_45854,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

The guy has alcohol addiction - He has said so himself a few times.
    He needs to focus on getting help before his career.

Amazing talent though. The worry for any Super Rugby team is that his addition has seen him basically dropped by 2 clubs (his French side barely played him) and he hasn't played much top rugby in the last 2 seasons.

You have to hope for him though.

stl.ire wrote: »
    The guy has alcohol addiction - He has said so himself a few times.
    He needs to focus on getting help before his career.

Amazing talent though. The worry for any Super Rugby team is that his addition has seen him basically dropped by 2 clubs (his French side barely played him) and he hasn't played much top rugby in the last 2 seasons.

You have to hope for him though.

That's not true. While he wasn't first choice for the big matches he has started 16 times in the Top14 and twice in Europe. Whatever problems he had wasn't stopping him being available and playing.

Indeed. He hasn't hit the heights Clermont wanted him but he has still been very prevalent in the set up there. I wouldn't be surprised if he featured this weekend either. He played the full 80 against Castres in their last T14 game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Several S15 sides would be fools to turn down Guildford unless he is truly toxic in the dressing room. I struggle to think of a S15 23 he wouldn't make, especially with the coming post RWC exodus. Unless there's bad blood the Crusaders especially would be crazy to turn him down, they've struggled several times this year to break down vaguely competent defenses.

Chris Hala'ufia has been given a 5 week ban for his hit on Laurence Pearce and shoving his head down into the dirt afterward.

For a bloke who has 12 yellow cards and 1 red card in the Premiership prior to this a pretty weak suspension and should have been doubled given his record.

The incident can be viewed here via the below link. Skip to 1m 25sec in the video to see the shoving of the face into the ground. Filth.

http://www.rugbydump.com/2015/05/3558/chris-halaufia-huge-hit-then-red-card-for-shoving-players-head-into-the-dirt?page=all

matthew8 wrote: »
    Several S15 sides would be fools to turn down Guildford unless he is truly toxic in the dressing room. I struggle to think of a S15 23 he wouldn't make, especially with the coming post RWC exodus. Unless there's bad blood the Crusaders especially would be crazy to turn him down, they've struggled several times this year to break down vaguely competent defenses.

I don't think he's toxic. Some of his Crusaders colleagues spoke of him as a nice bloke, generous with his time and extremely good with supporters. He just seems to be unable to beat the drinking disease.

I can't see the Crusaders taking him back, though. Fool me once etc. They backed him when the chips were down, supporting them and he was still falling off the wagon and getting into trouble.

Perhaps going back to the Hurricanes and closer to home would be better for him?

I don't think he's toxic. Some of his Crusaders colleagues spoke of him as a nice bloke, generous with his time and extremely good with supporters. He just seems to be unable to beat the drinking disease.

I can't see the Crusaders taking him back, though. Fool me once etc. They backed him when the chips were down, supporting them and he was still falling off the wagon and getting into trouble.

Perhaps going back to the Hurricanes and closer to home would be better for him?

I think he'll get an ITM cup contract. I don't think the super teams will touch him. And 100% the crusaders won't for sure. The crusaders lack of attacking ability out wide is their own fault for letting Patrick Osborne go.

He has time on his hands regarding a Super contract for next season as they're not finalised til October or November i thought so who knows.

He may even have time on his hands regarding an ITM contract too.

On the other hand he may not go back playing for awhile.

Chris Hala'ufia has been given a 5 week ban for his hit on Laurence Pearce and shoving his head down into the dirt afterward.

For a bloke who has 12 yellow cards and 1 red card in the Premiership prior to this a pretty weak suspension and should have been doubled given his record.

The incident can be viewed here via the below link. Skip to 1m 25sec in the video to see the shoving of the face into the ground. Filth.

http://www.rugbydump.com/2015/05/3558/chris-halaufia-huge-hit-then-red-card-for-shoving-players-head-into-the-dirt?page=all

5 weeks that's crazy short!

After a high tackle like that the Leicester lad could have had neck/head problems so that's why shoving his head like that is so bad to me.

• Advertisement

5 weeks that's crazy short!

After a high tackle like that the Leicester lad could have had neck/head problems so that's why shoving his head like that is so bad to me.

My theory on suspensions in the AP is not going anywhere soon....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement