Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Taylor Paris try for Agen at the weekend:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

There's a cereal extent to which getting into schools is great but also another extent to which it fails to represent adoption in the states, an example of that was soccer in the pre-beckham era, where it was played in incredible numbers among the youth but had basically no traction among the adult population. The trick is finding a structure that will be accessible and that can compete in the pretty saturated American sports market.

I have alays wished they would try an interstate representational championship which is unique, attractive to Americans as a concept, allows for union-controlled centrally funded teams and would have huge room for growth.
    Rugby from my experience of rugby there is gaining the attention at an adult grade soccer hasnt to an extent. Rugby has been popular in Ivy leagues for a considerable time but has expanded a huge amount with the teenage population in both clubs and schools. Finding a pro/elite level competition and structure is the issue and tbf they are looking hard at it but they need to improve the base more to get that going
    But what do they watch when the Superbowl is over and the want to see big lads running into one another? And there are lots of places with no NFL team within thousands of miles. It seems bizarre that there's no second/third division or regional/state AF competitions. Although maybe there are and they're just not well known outside of the states.
    Other sports when NFL ends.. I dont think its bizarre there isnt any divisions below especially with how they finance/run things
    There is semi pro leagues.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ice hockey, basketball baseball or soccer. There are always sports going on in major cities. At the moment it's the NBA playoffs for example. Stanley Cup is around now as well. Baseball and soccer then carries through to autumn and football starts up again in August/September

winter game, non contact, non contact, basically non contact... do the college games run through the spring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

winter game, non contact, non contact, basically non contact... do the college games run through the spring?

Yeah but unfortunately people don't choose what sport to watch based on whether there's contact or not. Those sports all exist across the States and are big obstacles.

The college sports generally finish up quite early in the year I believe but I only know football.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Surely college players only have a year or two of playing time and that when they're still well off their peak. What happens to the 90% of players that don't make the NFL? It must be hard to get attached to a team whose lineup changes every season. Or who play for a college you didn't attend. Or for that matter NFL players who get about two hours of actual playing time in a season before buggering off to another franchise.

Although I guess that's not to far off describing Irish people's fandom of premiership football teams in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The NFL dwarfs all other American sports except in certain areas. Pre-season games attract higher viewing figures than play-off games in other sports. They know it and they love it. The biggest problem rugby is going to have is simply that it's not football. I'm not sure being "similar" is an advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Surely college players only have a year or two of playing time and that when they're still well off their peak. What happens to the 90% of players that don't make the NFL? It must be hard to get attached to a team whose lineup changes every season. Or who play for a college you didn't attend. Or for that matter NFL players who get about two hours of actual playing time in a season before buggering off to another franchise.

Although I guess that's not to far off describing Irish people's fandom of premiership football teams in fairness.
    It's a fandom I don't quite understand but the part in bold doesn't seem to matter to the Americans! I read somewhere that part of it can be attributed to the fact that college football is 'amateur' and fans believe the players care more playing for their school (a bit like intercounty GAA maybe?) than playing for the random NFL franchise they sign for out of the draft.

Indo reporting that Clive Woodward interviewed for French Coaching role last month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Indo reporting that Clive Woodward interviewed for French Coaching role last month!

I'm note sure what to think of Woodward as a coach: was he made to look good by the class of the England players, or he is actually good. His reputation took a pummelling during the 2005 Lions tour.

France would do well to take a non-French coach imo, not sure if Woodward is that man, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I'm note sure what to think of Woodward as a coach: was he made to look good by the class of the England players, or he is actually good. His reputation took a pummelling during the 2005 Lions tour.

France would do well to take a non-French coach imo, not sure if Woodward is that man, though.

I'd wonder about his suitability for the French job. One of his greatest strengths is in creating an environment in which to succeed. It's all too easy to see him being in a 24/7 battle with the clubs over how many games the players play, release for training camps, fitness work. If he can get what he wants I think that he would be very successful as it would address many of the structural weaknesses that hold back France but I doubt that he would be able to get what he wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Lopez excluded from the French RWC training squad but Flaky Freddie is included. I'll take that.

http://www.the42.ie/france-world-cup-2015-squad-2111461-May2015/?utm_source=twitter_self

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Teferi wrote: »

Well that's the end of the Leinster rumours anyway. Luke McGrath is primed for 5 or 6 starts next season now.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,865 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

molloyjh wrote: »
    Lopez excluded from the French RWC training squad but Flaky Freddie is included. I'll take that.

http://www.the42.ie/france-world-cup-2015-squad-2111461-May2015/?utm_source=twitter_self

lopez is basically crocked... think he needs down time before the RWC to get fit for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Buer wrote: »
    Well that's the end of the Leinster rumours anyway. Luke McGrath is primed for 5 or 6 starts next season now.

Hopefully he gets more than that.

Taylor Paris try for Agen at the weekend:

Something I was thinking about watching that was the disallowed Aki try against Ulster. The Agen 9 has his hands on the bal in thenin goal area much like Pienaar did against Connacht. If the same laws were applied here that were that day then Taylor Paris would have been called back and it would have been a 5 metre scrum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Couldn't find a Premiership thread, so at the risk of asking a really stupid question., can someone tell me why Gloucester are facing Connacht for the play-off spot for European Champions Cup? They seem to be 9th in table, not 7th. I'm sure there's a really obvious answer that just hasn't dawned on me so someone wanna put me out of my stupidity! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Eod100 wrote: »
    Couldn't find a Premiership thread, so at the risk of asking a really stupid question., can someone tell me why Gloucester are facing Connacht for the play-off spot for European Champions Cup? They seem to be 9th in table, not 7th. I'm sure there's a really obvious answer that just hasn't dawned on me so someone wanna put me out of my stupidity! :P

They won the Challenge Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

They won the Challenge Cup

After a bit of googling you're right! Had thought it was that but looked on EPCR site and still had old criteria so was very confused. Nice one for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Haven't seen it anywhere else, but Saracens play Crusaders in New Orleans August 1.
    Maybe a couple more games like that to garner interest in the US, maybe a SH v NH club championship game,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chief87

Wang King wrote: »
    Haven't seen it anywhere else, but Saracens play Crusaders in New Orleans August 1.
    Maybe a couple more games like that to garner interest in the US, maybe a SH v NH club championship game,

Saw that...isn't that in the off season (as in actual time off) for the Super rugby teams though?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/32807724

English 50-man training squad for RWC - Ashton recalled, Armitage and Abendanon omitted.

Sam Burgess included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Cracker of a match going on between Bristol and Worcester at the moment, 22-17 to Worcester at half time but could have been more if Ryan Lamb learned how to kick a goal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

P_1 wrote: »
    Cracker of a match going on between Bristol and Worcester at the moment, 22-17 to Worcester at half time but could have been more if Ryan Lamb learned how to kick a goal

It's a great game. Bristol seem like they are starting to grow into it now though. They will get their nose in front and start to pull away at some stage I think

Except that my predictions tend to be completely wrong

Edit: Ha. And, right on cue, Ryan Jones goes off

Really enjoying this. For a game with so much at stake, neither team is playing conservative rugby.

Poor Gavin is f**ked though. Broken ankle I'd say.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,865 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Disgusting from worcester fans booing Henson taking the pen, then booing him lying injured on the floor, then singing cheerio as he's carted off :(

Bristol competely changed tactics at half time. Andy Robinson is a great coach when he can just concentrate on coaching rugby. Pity that his international head coach misadventures damaged his reputation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Game of the season. Really top class stuff and Niall Annett powers over for the winner for Worcester. Second leg should be brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Huge try at the end for Worcester. That was a cracking game.

• Advertisement

Be the hokey.

Ulsterman Niall Annett scores an 80th minute try to give Worcester a one point win away from home.

Bristol competely changed tactics at half time. Andy Robinson is a great coach when he can just concentrate on coaching rugby. Pity that his international head coach misadventures damaged his reputation

Robinson is such a weird coach. He was a great forwards coach for England but a crap head coach and then an excellent coach for Edinburgh but a poor head coach (partly because of his resources) for Scotland.

He clearly has a very good rugby brain and brings out the best in people given time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

So what, are Bristol still not qualifying? After all the money they spent?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »

Its a 2 leg play-off and that was just the first leg. Although having lost at home they've it all to do in the next leg. It is just a 1 point deficit though.

.ak wrote: »

Still have a chance. But if they fail a third time having topped the league...

Still think the playoffs are stupid. They don't give the promoted team any time to prepare.

Cumulative scores in the 3 games this season is 61-55 to Bristol. Bristol won both regular season games. Nothing between these teams all year, and no home advantage to speak of. So you don't want to missing next Wednesday's game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Really enjoying this. For a game with so much at stake, neither team is playing conservative rugby.

Poor Gavin is f**ked though. Broken ankle I'd say.

fractured shin bone I believe is the diagnoses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Gopperth Zane and Jennings in Baa Baas team

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Gopperth Zane and Jennings in Baa Baas team

Kirchner getting an early chance to impress his new provincial coach.

Would be great if Jennings could do 40 mins for the Barbarians and 40 minutes for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Looks like Wasps are about to put all that money to good use by signing George Smith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

All going well for the new Argentinian Super Rugby team. They have been quoted as saying they have 90% of their squad sorted. I presume some more players will sign at the end of the European season. Also they look likely to play in northern BA where most of their clubs are situated. A second super rugby team is mooted for 2019 provided the first team goes well.

http://rugbyworldcup-argentina2023.blogspot.com.br/2015/05/super-rugby-plans-for-argentine.html?m=1

It all sounds very encouraging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Is the BarBars game being televised ?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Is the BarBars game being televised ?

Yep, Sky Sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

Looks like Wasps are about to put all that money to good use by signing George Smith

and Brendan Macken..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

IT reporting that there's RWC tickets going for sale on 28th May including Ireland games...

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/further-100-000-rugby-world-cup-tickets-to-go-on-sale-1.2222323

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

LostArt wrote: »
    and Brendan Macken..

They're keeping James Downey for next season too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

CatFromHue wrote: »
    They're keeping James Downey for next season too.

Hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Bath giving Leicester a drubbing, 40-10. Stringer with a try and Banahan with a hat trick. Going to be Bath against Saracens.

George Ford ain't bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

Watched a bit of the Saracens Northampton game. Burger should have had two yellow cards in the space of 3 minutes. Was it burrell he had in a strangle hold for at least 5 seconds. Ref sees and gives a penalty. Shocking decision. What do you have to do. Strangle until unconscious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

George smith to wasps done deal

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement