Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

I may not agree with everything he says, but I do like the guys honesty, what say you all?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Don't see how it would happen. Not enough money in it.

awec wrote: »
    Don't see how it would happen. Not enough money in it.

Personally I think they should incorporate it as part of a tour.
    2 tests, and the midweek team get a hell of a workout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The Lions is too much of a cash cow.

I definitely think more summer tours should be organised from the NH sides. World Rugby could subsidise, they are making more than enough cash from the World Cup to pay for it!

Taking it as a stand-alone tour, nobody is ever going to turn down a Lions tour to NZ.
    But, if it was a choice between Aus and a tour with tests against Samoa and Fiji with a midweek test against Tonga.... I know where the better quality games would be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Wang King wrote: »
    Taking it as a stand-alone tour, nobody is ever going to turn down a Lions tour to NZ.
    But, if it was a choice between Aus and a tour with tests against Samoa and Fiji with a midweek test against Tonga.... I know where the better quality games would be

Eh... Australia surely?

Eh... Australia surely?

For excitement? Def not, the last tour was shïte in a lit bag, won't be remembered for what happened on the field, but for who did and didn't get chosen for the last test

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Potential stupid question, but would there even be enough teams in a pacific island tour to fill a Lions schedule?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Potential stupid question, but would there even be enough teams in a pacific island tour to fill a Lions schedule?

No and you'd probably only end up with 1 competitive game from Samoa, Fiji, and Tonga.

It sounds like a great idea but makes no sense.

He should be arguing for PI teams to get some share of the Nov Int games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Not even close. It would be a great idea to play a one off game in Aus/NZ, e.g. the week before the first test, but anything else is pie in the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

razorblunt wrote: »
    Todd Clever has been sent home from the USA's Pacific Cup squad due to "multiple conduct violations".

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/13293826/ex-usa-eagles-captain-todd-clever-released-squad-multiple-conduct-violations

An Irish guy Aj MacGinty started for the USA at number 10 in the Samoa match interestingly enough.

There's historically a combined PI side but I haven't heard of them playing recently. The Lions could play a match or two against them.

For excitement? Def not, the last tour was shïte in a lit bag, won't be remembered for what happened on the field, but for who did and didn't get chosen for the last test

No, Irish people will remember it for the last reason. Everyone else will remember the rugby, especially that game swinging on Kurtley Beale's slip and the Genia try.

Midweek game vs a PI side instead of a S15 would be very good.

Lions also played the BaaBaas in HK before the start of the last tour, again another good opportunity to play v a PI side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Looks like Jamie Hagan will be heading down under after his spell in Leinster during the WC http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/70458998/melbourne-rebels-sign-irish-international-prop-jamie-hagan-on-twoyear-contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

There's historically a combined PI side but I haven't heard of them playing recently. The Lions could play a match or two against them.
    That side only existed for 4/5 years and no hope will it come back. It hasn't played since 2008 and islands are better off without that side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Mourad says he will sue the ARU for millions because of quade cooper. Story on sky sports news

• Advertisement

aimee1 wrote: »
    Mourad says he will sue the ARU for millions because of quade cooper. Story on sky sports news

I'm with him on that one. Cooper signed his contract with Toulon, he needs to pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'm with him on that one. Cooper signed his contract with Toulon, he needs to pay up.

Yeah, as much as I dislike Toulon and Mourad I'd agree too. Cooper signed a contract and is now trying to pull out last minute. Toulon deserve compensation because they'll struggle to sign someone of the same calibre so late in the day.

That said I don't feel sorry for them one iota.

I thought Cooper had to pay it out of his own pocket?

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah, as much as I dislike Toulon and Mourad I'd agree too. Cooper signed a contract and is now trying to pull out last minute. Toulon deserve compensation because they'll struggle to sign someone of the same calibre so late in the day.

That said I don't feel sorry for them one iota.

I think Toulon will do just fine without Cooper. They still have Giteau, JOC and Michalak available. Their scrum-half Escande can cover 10 as well. Mourad may just make some money for 'nothing' out of this! My understanding is that there was a break clause with a fixed compensation amount but now the contract has been ratified by the league it could cause salary cap issues etc.

I'm not sure how it will work. I thought the ARU were broke but suddenly they are able to afford to keep the likes of Folau, Cooper and maybe Genia if rumours are true. Toulon won't care who pays anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Without seeing any of documents, for the breach of contract you'd have to assume Cooper would be liable. However, if Toulon wanted to be very aggressive they might go after ARU for 'inducing breach of contract' which would be separate claim. All depends on governing laws of contracts and where its litigated though. Would be very expensive for all involved.

• Advertisement

Quins Jordan Turner Hall has been forced to retire due to continual injury issues, only 27yo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

They're playing South Africa this Saturday

Textbook

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

They're playing South Africa this Saturday

Textbook

Cheeky bollocks.

Mourad is some lad

The Barrage is scheduled to take place during an International Window in June 2016. Weeks after Pro12 and Premiership have finished.
    I hope that our international players will choose to stay in France,” Boudjellal told Midi Olympique. “It seems obvious to me that the clubs, who pay the wages, should have their stars for the most important dates of the season.
    Those players who won’t be here for the end of the season, we would ask them to look for another club,” warned Boudjellal of that possibility.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm curious as to exactly how much trouble he can actually get in with a world rugby? Cause that's clear and unambiguous undue pressure on players to slip internationals right there. He should face some kind of punishment for that.

• Advertisement

Personally, I think he's spot on. If the club are splashing out massive amounts in wages, then yes, the club fixtures come first, if the players don't like it, bugger off somewhere else.
    Can't see anything wrong with what he's saying

Personally, I think he's spot on. If the club are splashing out massive amounts in wages, then yes, the club fixtures come first, if the players don't like it, bugger off somewhere else.
    Can't see anything wrong with what he's saying

Except the regulations of the very sport say that the players HAVE to be made available for the international window. Now whether or not the players make some gentleman's agreement to ignore that regulation, I don't know, however in general the clubs should abide entirely by the regulations of the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

What about a Lions tour to France? Outside of the current three tours it's about the only option.

France may get their act together under Noves with maybe Ibanez to follow him into the job in a few years.

Warm-up games against the likes of Clermont, Toulon, Toulouse, Stade Francais, Bordeaux or Racing could be interesting and the three tests could be played in say Paris, Lyon and Marseille or Toulouse.

This would be much much easier for Lions fans to get to and no time difference of note to worry about.

Will I start a petition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Anyone watching the Pacific Nations Cup? Good game on at the moment between the USA and Japan, Eagles just scored to go up 23-18. AJ McGinty putting in a good shift at 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Samoa 30 - Fiji 30

Was supposed to be game of the season.

Zac Guildford is rumoured to sign for Waratahs for 2016. Hopefully it works out for him and he has sorted himself out while at home in NZ. He only turns 27 next February so he's still got many years left.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I dunno why I'm doing this to myself but I'm watching the 3rd test against NZ on the 05 Lions tour and all I can say is Murphy :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Tonga and USA were dire there in the PNC

fiji doing the japs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

duckysauce wrote: »
    fiji doing the japs

Not so fast!

Fiji 24 - 9 Japan [HT]

Fiji 24 - 17 Japan [52"] (4 mins left on Fiji sinbin)

• Advertisement

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Not so fast!

Fiji 24 - 9 Japan [HT]

Fiji 24 - 17 Japan [52"] (4 mins left on Fiji sinbin)

garces doing them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

duckysauce wrote: »
    garces doing them

Fiji managing to give away lots of possessions without any help from Garcès.

Fiji 27 - 22 Japan [69"]

Do they play all the games in the same stadium on the same day? Or am I imagining something?

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Fiji managing to give away lots of possessions without any help from Garcès.

Fiji 27 - 22 Japan [69"]

2 yellows for **** all

3 yellows :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

is this on tv?

Hagz wrote: »
    is this on tv?

it's over

last match is

http://www.worldrugby.org/pnc/video

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

http://www.the42.ie/steve-hansen-collapse-mauls-2224154-Jul2015/

dont think its been mentioned here before, but hansen is calling for collapsing line out mauls to be made legal after the RWC.

what do the big rugby brains here think about this? are mauls "bloody boring and an unfair contest"?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This was trialed a few years ago and scrapped again.

I don't think they're unfair as long as the laws are properly applied. Attacking teams get a wee bit too much leeway about where the join the maul from at times.

I definitely don't think they're boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

sydthebeat wrote: »
    http://www.the42.ie/steve-hansen-collapse-mauls-2224154-Jul2015/

dont think its been mentioned here before, but hansen is calling for collapsing line out mauls to be made legal after the RWC.

what do the big rugby brains here think about this? are mauls "bloody boring and an unfair contest"?

He's full of crap tbh. He's talking about a fair contest, but it is a fair contest. Just because it's an area of the game someone was better than them at doesn't mean it should be changed. It's just total crap. The line-out maul is a skill in itself and a part of the game. He's just pissed off that the Argies used it against NZ successfully.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement