Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

CatFromHue wrote: »
    2 years?

I thought they were considering if you could put on the accent proper then that'd be enough.

and if you ever drank guinness your eligible for ireland

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

you mean drank Guinness without wincing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

you mean drank Harp without wincing :pac:

:)

Obvious edit

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ah c'mon now, that's completely unfair!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Anyone read about the young woman whose death was deemed the longterm effects of a rugby injury today?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ladies-rugby-player-dies-from-brain-injuries-one-month-after-fatal-tackle-31460259.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Stheno wrote: »
    Anyone read about the young woman whose death was deemed the longterm effects of a rugby injury today?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ladies-rugby-player-dies-from-brain-injuries-one-month-after-fatal-tackle-31460259.html

That's awful. :(

But it does sound like a one in a million sort of thing. Very unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

SBW, Savea and Messam named in NZ 7s squad for 2016. That's the gold medal then... :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Zzippy wrote: »
    SBW, Savea and Messam named in NZ 7s squad for 2016. That's the gold medal then... :rolleyes:

akira ioane as well, joining his phenomenal brother reiko.....

they woudl probably be strong favourites without these union players, but now.... wow!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

So Leo is head coach for two years. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Wang King wrote: »
    Bringing it down to 2 years
    Great idea.

• Advertisement

I don't think SBW has played 7s before so I wonder how easily he'll get on with it.

I don't remember him showing blistering pace before either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't think SBW has played 7s before so I wonder how easily he'll get on with it.

That ability to punch through and offload though would be a massive weapon though at sevens level. If he can suck in a defender and keep his hands free in the full version, he could create havoc with the extra space of sevens.

I won't be convinced until I see it tbh

SBW will be ideal for 7s. Essentially a flanker with better wheels, ideal.

.ak wrote: »
    SBW will be ideal for 7s. Essentially a flanker with better wheels, ideal.

Agreed, 1 broken tackle is almost always a try.... and im sure his fitness levels are already top notch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

MRTULES wrote: »
    So Leo is head coach for two years. Thoughts?
    Leinster thread...

His offloading ability will be huge in 7s and he isn't exactly lacking in pace. Don't see it being that much of an issue

This is going to sound like an oxymoron but because there's so much space in 7s I think his ability to create space, by off loading in the full game, is negated.

In the full game off loading can be a high risk move so it's a very good skill to have, in 7s though it isn't anywhere near as high risk so it's a skill alot of 7's guys have already.

This is going to sound like an oxymoron but because there's so much space in 7s I think his ability to create space, by off loading in the full game, is negated.

In the full game off loading can be a high risk move so it's a very good skill to have, in 7s though it isn't anywhere near as high risk so it's a skill alot of 7's guys have already.

Ah yeah but actually offloading when being hit full force is a very tough skill. SBW can not only offload but he actually gets power on his back hand pass. If you look at any 7s game generally if two defenders bite and the attacker gets the ball away it's a certain try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

Never had much pace, just breaks tackles and offloads. I hope NZ choose Nonu, Smith, with Fekitoa as centres for the world cup (they will be awesome) leaving SBW at home to practice his flicks for 7s over the winter...

• Advertisement

Just read on times website that Ryan jones forced to retire, shoulder injury

Never had much pace, just breaks tackles and offloads. I hope NZ choose Nonu, Smith, with Fekitoa as centres for the world cup (they will be awesome) leaving SBW at home to practice his flicks for 7s over the winter...

He might not be a bullet in the shape of some of NZ's wingers but he's certainly not slow. Well able to break and beat the cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehvBum9TFRA&t=1m33s

I hope all 4 of those guys to travel but, if any of them are to miss out, it will almost certainly be Fekitoa based on how Hansen rates them all.

He may not be slow for the full game but 7's is full of out and out speedsters.

I really do think 7's is a very different game than the full one.

He may not be slow for the full game but 7's is full of out and out speedsters.

I really do think 7's is a very different game than the full one.

Sevens can be quite mixed. There are plenty of out and out speedsters but every team has a number of guys who aren't in that category and are hookers or back row players in the full version of the game.

Guys like James Coughlan, Niall Ronan, Aidan McCullen, Kieran Dawson and Eric Miller have all played Sevens for Ireland. The NZ squad has 7 forwards in it and 9 backs, a healthy mix there.

SBW certainly won't be the fastest man there or close to it but I reckon he's going to settle in very well in the game and be a real weapon with his footwork, power and offloads.

Argentina's Matias Diaz is out of the world cup after suffering heart palpitations.

Buer wrote: »
    Sevens can be quite mixed. There are plenty of out and out speedsters but every team has a number of guys who aren't in that category and are hookers or back row players in the full version of the game.

Guys like James Coughlan, Niall Ronan, Aidan McCullen, Kieran Dawson and Eric Miller have all played Sevens for Ireland. The NZ squad has 7 forwards in it and 9 backs, a healthy mix there.

SBW certainly won't be the fastest man there or close to it but I reckon he's going to settle in very well in the game and be a real weapon with his footwork, power and offloads.

I don't think he'll be a bad 7's player but I'm not sure if he'll be a great one.
    Argentina's Matias Diaz is out of the world cup after suffering heart palpitations.

Seems to be a few guys suffering with heart palpitations........

Could just be taking too much caffeine in the lead up to a game too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

I can not stop laughing at this *you may need to click on it to play it

SameGiantGenet.gif

http://gfycat.com/SameGiantGenet

b.gud wrote: »
    I can not stop laughing at this *you may need to click on it to play it

SameGiantGenet

Anyone else thinking that was "Samson" a.k. ?

Anyone else thinking that was "Samson" a.k. ?

You're not the first person to say that to me today!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not sure if this was posted before

Looks like Zac Guildford is back playing but won't be for long....

Went unpunished entirely at the time but should earn him a nice break from a disciplinary committee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

A troubled man, that fella

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How does that go completely unpunished? Not even a penalty! Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

awec wrote: »
    How does that go completely unpunished? Not even a penalty! Crazy.

The only explanation is the TJ and the ref weren't looking in that direction. The TJ definitely wasn't as he raised his flag for the guy stepping out. I believe that there are some restrictions on the TMOs in the ITM Cup. I think they can only get involved if the ref asks them. Not 100% sure on this.

Umaga coaches Counties and is the new Blues coach. Guildford is looking for a Super rugby contract so maybe that was his audition :D

On a different note, I believe the ref for the game was from Japan. If the NZRU are allowing refs from developing countries to come over then I think that's great for the game. What would you guys think of refs from Romania and Georgia being involved in Pro 12 matches? Obviously only the ones who have passed a bunch of tests to make sure they're up to standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    The only explanation is the TJ and the ref weren't looking in that direction. The TJ definitely wasn't as he raised his flag for the guy stepping out. I believe that there are some restrictions on the TMOs in the ITM Cup. I think they can only get involved if the ref asks them. Not 100% sure on this.

Umaga coaches Counties and is the new Blues coach. Guildford is looking for a Super rugby contract so maybe that was his audition :D

On a different note, I believe the ref for the game was from Japan. If the NZRU are allowing refs from developing countries to come over then I think that's great for the game. What would you guys think of refs from Romania and Georgia being involved in Pro 12 matches? Obviously only the ones who have passed a bunch of tests to make sure they're up to standard.
    Referees from other countries are already looked at for involvement in Pro12 and in AIL etc depending on whether they are being looked at for promotion to the higher refereeing panels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Ceadog

Yeah_Right wrote: »

Marius Mitrea is from Romania and he refs the Pro 12. He might be contracted through the French union though.

Ceadog wrote: »
    Marius Mitrea is from Romania and he refs the Pro 12. He might be contracted through the French union though.

Think he might be a ref representing the Italian union

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Ceadog

b.gud wrote: »
    Think he might be a ref representing the Italian union

Yep he's through the Italian union. My mistake.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've always been impressed with Mitrea. No faffing about, clear decisions, keeps a game running smoothly.

I could have missed all the games where he carded nine players and missed a ten-metre forward pass though.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34126692

jim hamilton quits international rugby

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »

hah

i know 2 of the 'actors' in that!!

aimee1 wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34126692

jim hamilton quits international rugby

just realised from that that Adam Ashe and Rob Harley didnt make the squad, id have both there ahead of stokosch.

Jim hamiltion, the definition of a gnarly ba$tard of a lock...

Following on from their mic'd up players experiment Fox sports in Aus have mic'd up the coach

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

Rugbyaid on right now on BT Sport, collection of ex pro's and celebs. Looks like a bit of a laugh!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Read in the indo earlier that a Toulouse/SA player who failed a drugs test in March2014 has been given a two year ban, it was Chiliboy Rallepele

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Fiji looked mighty good against Canada today, Wales & England beware!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Shower thought of the day, is Ian McKinley eligible to represent Italy down the line through residency, or has he been locked in under Ireland? I know he can't play Pro-12 yet because of the goggles issue, but given Italy's issues at 10, he would be make a potentially solid option there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Shower thought of the day, is Ian McKinley eligible to represent Italy down the line through residency, or has he been locked in under Ireland? I know he can't play Pro-12 yet because of the goggles issue, but given Italy's issues at 10, he would be make a potentially solid option there.

He's not locked into Ireland because he would need to have played for the Wolfhounds.

Maybe he dreams of a return to Ireland though and being eligible would make it much easier for a province to take a chance on him.

• Advertisement

Is the goggles issue the fact that protective eyewear can't be worn? If it is and he can't play pro twelve are the rules different for e.g. six nations? I thought the rule was a blanket one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement