Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭nc6000

Bruce Craig mightn't be to the taste of many Irish people but you have to take your hat off and say he's an extremely ambitious man

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/oct/10/champions-cupbruce-craig-bath-european-club-tournament

Good luck to him

It's quite likely that he'll get his way. Look how easy it was for him to get the changes he wanted to the Heineken Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Easy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't think PRL got everything they wanted. McCafferty said it himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah, it wasn't "easy" and they weren't changes that "he" wanted. It was very drawn out and they were changes backed by the majority of clubs in the competition.

I don't think PRL got everything they wanted. McCafferty said it himself.

Maybe not everything they wanted but not too far off it and there wasn't that much of a fight put up to them.

A few commentators mentioned at the time that their carry on over the Heineken Cup was just the beginning. I think that is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

nc6000 wrote: »

A few commentators mentioned at the time that their carry on over the Heineken Cup was just the beginning. I think that is correct.

World domination at the expense of the International game?..

Good Second Captains podcast this evening with Gerry Thornley and Denis Hickie discussing it briefly.

There's talk of a loan move for Steffon Armitage to England for the rest of the season, making him eligible for England.

There's talk of a loan move for Steffon Armitage to England for the rest of the season, making him eligible for England.

http://www.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/story/244173.html

It's a complicated situation with the salary caps. By the sounds of things there would be a transfer fee involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

I know he's good but are England that desperate to bring him back? Surely the RFU would be picking up this transfer fee if there is one if it's mainly for England's benefit.

I wonder how transfer fees come into the Salary Cap. It's an interesting issue, I hope for the sake of international rugby he returns to England, a player like him should be at the world cup.

You also have to appreciate Laporte's honesty there, "'He has a contract but, if the England coach says if he plays for Bath or Saracens then he will play in the World Cup, I think he has to play for these clubs,' Laporte told the BBC."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

I know he's good but are England that desperate to bring him back? Surely the RFU would be picking up this transfer fee if there is one if it's mainly for England's benefit.

Would be a massive precedent to set though, that you have to play in England to be eligible for the national team, but if you're really good and want to play in France, that's OK too, we'll sort something out.

Would be a massive precedent to set though, that you have to play in England to be eligible for the national team, but if you're really good and want to play in France, that's OK too, we'll sort something out.

There's something about this that I don't think will work out. What if Farrell and Burns get badly injuried before the WC will the RFU chuck money at Toulouse to get Flood back in the UK!

There's something about this that I don't think will work out. What if Farrell and Burns get badly injuried before the WC will the RFU chuck money at Toulouse to get Flood back in the UK!

Ford would start ahead of Flood on merit if the above happened in any case.

I think Andy Goode would even be in contention before they spent any money on the Waterboy!

Ford would start ahead of Flood on merit if the above happened in any case.

I think Andy Goode would even be in contention before they spent any money on the Waterboy!

That would be the dream. Ford, Burns and Farrell all get injured in the World Cup and Goode starts the final and kicks the winning points.

I know it would mean England win the world cup, but it would mean New Zealand television could make "The Kick 2: Larger and in Charger" starring James Corden as Andy Goode.

Armitage is worth the hassle imo. England need a top quality 8.

It's also a strange precedent to set. Instead of just saying they'll pick the guy whilst he's playing with Toulon because he's so good they are going down the route of trying to temporarily move him back to a club in England so they can pick him. :confused:

Wasn't it only a month ago he was trying to qualify for France?

Winters wrote: »
    Wasn't it only a month ago he was trying to qualify for France?

Meh, that was all hype I think. The IRB came out and said they'd be reviewing any applications under this "loophole" and anyone doing it for reasons other than genuine interest in playing 7s would be knocked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Glasgow must be praying he isn't in the Bath lineup this weekend. What a strange and rapid move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

its_phil wrote: »
    Glasgow must be praying he isn't in the Bath lineup this weekend. What a strange and rapid move.

I presume he wasn't named in the Bath European Squad. And I may be open for correction, but it is possible that he might not be able to register for two european teams in one season?

.ak wrote: »
    Armitage is worth the hassle imo. England need a top quality 8.

He absolutely is. He's got an excellent injury record as well. If you take a look at his Toulon gametime he's always been available for them.

Toulon can manage without him with the depth they have, although Armitage is a JIFF player. They have Bruni (JIFF), Juan Smith, Fernandez Lobbe, Vosloo, Masoe and Gorgodze (JIFF) to choose from in the backrow.

In other news, apparently the WRU are willing to buy out Roberts and Lydiate's contracts with Racing. Jacky must be laughing, to get paid to get two underperforming/injured players on big money off the books! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

He absolutely is. He's got an excellent injury record as well. If you take a look at his Toulon gametime he's always been available for them.

...and he's jinxed.

Jonny Sexton look what you've started!

Jonny Sexton look what you've started!

Racing would probably let Roberts and Lydiate go for free. They are probably on at least €700k between them.

Laurent Labit has more or less said they haven't been worth it.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9516694,00.html

Planet Rugby are suggesting that Armitage to Bath is a permanent move. That makes little sense for Toulon*, with Masoe and Vosloo probably gone next year.

*Unless the transfer fee is too large to refuse!

• Advertisement

its_phil wrote: »

Wait, what? Has this actually gone through??

Wait, what? Has this actually gone through??

Yeah they need to rush it if they want him playing European rugby, and it may not be worth it for Bath if he's not elligible.

Yeah they need to rush it if they want him playing European rugby, and it may not be worth it for Bath if he's not elligible.

Right, just read the Planet Rugby story there.

Well, it would need to have been done twenty minutes ago for him to play this weekend so Glasgow are safe enough anyway.

It would be a massive boost for Bath, especially with Francois Louw out for the next while.

Bruce Craig's European ambition
    Wage Caps
    Burgess playing on with broken face
    Armitage on the way
    Bath press office must be having fun.

Interesting of course that Bath had enough 'slack' in their wage bill to accommodate Armitage.... Very interesting. Three cheers.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I presume he wasn't named in the Bath European Squad. And I may be open for correction, but it is possible that he might not be able to register for two european teams in one season?

Don't know the eligibility rules here but I thought it was more concerned with playing as opposed to be registered? Well open to correction though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

Just noticed this on the rugby union subreddit. Mightily impressed with Japan.

Gonna need a montage

Armitage deal dead in the water according to Mike Ford for financial reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

I'll never say no to more quality players for England but I'm not desperate to see Armitage return. Some people will think I'm mad, but he never proved himself first time around, a lot of players in France have looked off the boil when it comes to international action, and 8 is a position we're very strong in for my money. Flanker less so, he could make an impact there... could.

He was out of contract last season. If he wants to play for England in the World Cup, surely he'd have moved home then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Btw a BBC article on the Racing 3 - says that the deadline for round one or whatever was midday today, but importantly, if they play at all for another team they are ineligible for the whole competition.

I'll never say no to more quality players for England but I'm not desperate to see Armitage return. Some people will think I'm mad, but he never proved himself first time around, a lot of players in France have looked off the boil when it comes to international action, and 8 is a position we're very strong in for my money. Flanker less so, he could make an impact there... could.

He was out of contract last season. If he wants to play for England in the World Cup, surely he'd have moved home then?

I think you're stark raving mad, purely on the basis that he's been the best player in the Top 14 for stretches at a time, and the quality of player in that league is ahead of that in the UK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

nc6000 wrote: »
    Maybe not everything they wanted but not too far off it and there wasn't that much of a fight put up to them.

Can the clubs take on the SH unions though which they would have to do to get all the changes they want. I'm not sure the NZ RFU will be too interested in what European clubs want...although if they start taking top ABs at the peak of their career you may see them more prepares to talk.

58,000 tickets gone so far for the USA V New Zealand game.

http://usarugby.org/mens-eagles-news/item/additional-tickets-merchandise-available-for-match-at-soldier-field

Very encouraging figures and hopefully the States will hold regular internationals on this date and venue for years to come as there obviously is a decent amount of interest granted a lot of it will be around the All Blacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

'Ha' I thought to myself 'theres a slightly portly looking half back who looks a bit like Piri Weepu playing for London Welsh...'

Imagine my surprise.....

Good article here about Romanian rugby and the Bucharest Wolves made up team for the challenge cup for anyone interested.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/oct/15/lynn-howells-romania-rugby-world-cup-bucharest-wolves

Will they win a match in the WC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Favoured to beat Canada and Italy will have to watch their back against both teams if they play like they have this year.

• Advertisement

Interesting comparing rugby season tickets with soccer.

http://m.bbc.com/news/uk-29527838

Do you think you get value for money from your tickets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Larbre34 wrote: »
    'Ha' I thought to myself 'theres a slightly portly looking half back who looks a bit like Piri Weepu playing for London Welsh...'

Imagine my surprise.....

What little I saw of him in highlights v Newcastle was awful too.

bilston wrote: »
    Can the clubs take on the SH unions though which they would have to do to get all the changes they want. I'm not sure the NZ RFU will be too interested in what European clubs want...although if they start taking top ABs at the peak of their career you may see them more prepares to talk.

But do they even have to take on the SH unions at all?

What if the clubs take on the NH unions resulting in changes to say the November International window? That directly affects the SH teams when they look to travel north on end of season tours.

Anybody come across this site before? Murray Kinsella's latest article is on it. Looks interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

The difference between the Rugby Club on sky sports (on now), and that mess of a show on BT last night is incredible.

Hagz wrote: »
    The difference between the Rugby Club on sky sports (on now), and that mess of a show on BT last night is incredible.

Great feature on Racing Metro, can't wait to see that Arena.

The president seems like a nice guy.

The commentators reaction is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Too much going on in glaws game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Not a great game, hate the new scoreboard. John Afoa and Hibbard haven't done much for the scrum, though is was Thomas penalised there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

.ak wrote: »

The commentators reaction is brilliant.

It's Sean Maloney of Rugby HQ Top 5s.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement