Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adoption trace.

Options
  • 01-07-2014 7:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi. I am trying to trace my birth Mother.I have contacted the Adoption Authority who wrote back to say that it was a private adoption and that a social worker would be in touch in due course.They did not send any information at all.Is it true there is a long waiting list for information? Any advice welcome .
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Might be an idea to contact adoption rights alliance, or join their fb page where you may find someone else who has found their info on private adoptions. Have you any bit of info at all - your original birth name for instance? Do your parents have any correspondence from the adoption?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fishchip

Hi
    I have emailed adoption rights alliance and im waiting for a reply i reckon they could have a backlog.Sadly i have very little to go on and don't know anything about my natural Mother at all.I was hoping the Adoption Authority would send something but in right back where i started.
    My adoptive Father has passed away and my Mother is in poor health at present .

Hopefully the adoption rights alliance will get back to you soon. I am sure someone would be able to help with the issue of private adoptions. As regards waiting times it's anyone's guess! A friend of mine is about 2 years waiting via a Dublin agency, to get info on her sister who was put up for adoption. Dh was told he is number 5 on the list with the agency who dealt with his.

Thanks for the reply i have done some research and have resigned my self to the fact ill be waiting!

Do you know the area you were born in, or your original first name? There is a new website irishgeneaology.ie and if you search for your date of birth you might come up with a few possibilities for your birth cert. If you know your original first name you could then narrow it down. Your surname would possibly match that of the birth mothers maiden name, assuming she was single when she had you. I found dhs record within a couple of minutes and have ordered his original birth certificate.

• Advertisement

Hi i have contacted the adoption authority again to try and get even a small bit of info to start with.

Even if you have a look on the website for all births on your date of birth you may well narrow it down to a few entries. Wishing you luck with it all.

Thanks for the help and advice

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bpd_566

Have you had any look yet . I am just starting my search now and am looking for a starting point . Has anyone ever searched for there original birth cert I know my the name my birth mother gave me . And of course I know my dob but don't know where I was born... How do I go about looking

Have you had any look yet . I am just starting my search now and am looking for a starting point . Has anyone ever searched for there original birth cert I know my the name my birth mother gave me . And of course I know my dob but don't know where I was born... How do I go about looking

• Advertisement

You would need to go to the GRO at this stage as the records have been taken down from the geneaology website. We were lucky to get dhs birth cert within the couple of weeks it was online. Also you can send off to the agency that carried out your adoption and request information from your file. If you look at the Adoption Rights Alliance website you will find sample letters to send and also very informative tracing guides to help you start your search. Best of luck.

Advertisement