Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help to rehome my dogs =(

• 01-07-2014 8:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have two dogs , a white German shepard and a Siberian Husky. Although it breaks my heart I have to make the decision to rehome the both of them. Myself and my GF just don't have the time to give them what they need anymore my job entails me working long hours during the week and I haven't been able to exercise them to the extend the breed requires or give them the time and attention I once could, although I care about them very much I need to put their needs first as they are still young enough to live about an active and happy life rather than being stuck in my back garden. We also have a 2 year old that the Husky just cannot adjust to, we've had to incidents where he has been hurt and I can't have my son in that situation again for his sake or my Husky's.

Ideally we would like to rehome them together but I know this may not be possible. I have no idea how to start the process other than putting up an add but I'm worried about the type of people that may attract. I won't under any circumstances send them to a pound , I don't really want a shelter either I have no idea what places like <snip> are like and what will happen to them there.

Any help greatly appreciated.

The White shepard is 4 years old and the Husky is five.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Hi,

I have two dogs , a white German shepard and a Siberian Husky. Although it breaks my heart I have to make the decision to rehome the both of them. Myself and my GF just don't have the time to give them what they need anymore my job entails me working long hours during the week and I haven't been able to exercise them to the extend the breed requires or give them the time and attention I once could, although I care about them very much I need to put their needs first as they are still young enough to live about an active and happy life rather than being stuck in my back garden. We also have a 2 year old that the Husky just cannot adjust to, we've had to incidents where he has been hurt and I can't have my son in that situation again for his sake or my Husky's.

Ideally we would like to rehome them together but I know this may not be possible. I have no idea how to start the process other than putting up an add but I'm worried about the type of people that may attract. I won't under any circumstances send them to a pound , I don't really want a shelter either I have no idea what places like Dogs trust are like and what will happen to them there.

Any help greatly appreciated.

The White shepard is 4 years old and the Husky is five.

Please google your nearest rescue centre, if you give your area im sure people will PM you some rescue centres. Contact them for advice.

Please stay away from done deal and adverts.ie etc. its full trolls looking for dogs for baiting, puppy farming etc.

OP to be very honest with you the rescues centre and pounds are full to the brim – especially with husky’s and larger dogs so you may find it very difficult to rehome your dogs.

Instead of rehoming straight away have you consider a behaviourist to try and help with your husky and your child?
    Often issues are easily sorted with the right training etc., again im sure some posters on here can recommend some good trainers etc. your child won’t be small forever so maybe with training and persistent your dogs and child can live in harmony etc. - it’s worth a shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'd say that every pound and shelter in Ireland has at least one husky in it at the moment. Have you contacted the breeder, if you got him/her as a pup? If they are a reputable breeder, they will take the dog back, no matter how old.

Are the dogs neutered/spayed? If not, can I please suggest you get that done before rehoming. I don't want to make assumptions, but if you're working such long hours, can you afford to pay a dog walker or doggy day care? There are so many dogs out there looking for homes, that if there is any way that you can keep your dogs, it would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

How are they with other dogs? And are you hoping to keep them together?

Advertisement