Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most scenic places in Galway?

Options
  • 01-07-2014 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi... So I have made plans with a friend to possibly go to Galway/Mayo region, particularly Connemara around August/Septermber, for a few days.
    I was hoping that people could maybe give me a list of the most attractive and photogenic beauty spots in the region... I am particularly interested in mountains, valleys, glens and lakes kinda landscapes, what ever the west's equivalent to Glendalough, Lough Tay, Lough Dan etc in Wicklow is, and also if there are ancient/historical sites like standing stones, monasteries, stone circles, etc. I always have a fondness for waterfalls so if there is any worth mentioning..?
    So far Doo Lough is on the agenda in the Delphi area... so if anyone could list any more places like there that would be excellent, and then I could do some research myself and devise a driving route and see which locations would be prioritised over the 3-5 days. Thanks in advance for any recommendations :) I've heard & seen(pics) wonderful things of this part of the country.. So I'm really looking forward to it! Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Hi... So I have made plans with a friend to possibly go to Galway/Mayo region, particularly Connemara around August/Septermber, for a few days.

You're pretty much describing the entire drive through connemara from Galway to Mayo. If you head directly from Galway to Clifden then it will take you past the 12 Pins mountains - alternatively you can turn right at Maam Cross, into Maam for a bite to eat at Joe Keanes pub, and then out to Leenane (where "The Field" was filmed) with the Maamturks on your left, and onto Clifden from there. Clifden is definitely worth a look round, and from there you can drive the Sky Road, which is beautiful, or get the ferry out to Inisboffin for the day. Alternatively you can drive across the sands to Omey Island for an hour or two. From there you backtrack to Leenane, and it's more or less a straight shot up towards Westport, passing Mweelrea (highest mountain in Connemara) on your left. Westport has some great pubs and trad music and is well worth a stop. From there, Achill Island is definitely worth a trip - it all depends on your timeframe and interests really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

The Renvyle peninsula area worth a look if your around Clifden/Leenane. Roundstone is a scenic coastal village south of Clifden with a backdrop of the Twelve Pins. Lovely little spot for a stop off ! The Aashleagh Falls on the road to DooLough after Leenane (while not as impressive as some other waterfalls eg Torc or Powerscourt) is worth a few minutes stop . As other posters have said the trip up the Maam Valley from Maam Cross is a nice drive through the hills towards Leenane. Then there's Kylemore Abbey and Connemara National Park up there also - you're spoiled for choice really - plan your routes in advance and enjoy !

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭john d nevin

Hi thank you both for your reply... Thats excellent exactly what I was looking for! I will do some further research into mentioned areas and try and device a plan ! Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

My advice is to hit the high ground. Climb one of the mountains in Connemara for a glorious view (12 Bens, Maumturks). They are not high - 500m-700m.
    The pins behind the Ben Lettery youth hostel are handy enough.

I am also a fan of the Finny area. Take the road from Maam Cross to Leenane and turn right about half way. The drive to Lough Nafooey and beyond to the meeting of the waters is lovely. There is a lovely waterfall along there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

If you are going to Connemara you might get some ideas here http://www.Goconnemara.com or here http://www.Connemara.net

• Advertisement
Advertisement